Author Topic: Question about the Great Flood  (Read 380 times)

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +87/-1
Re: Question about the Great Flood
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2014, 06:39:31 AM »

Care to offer your opinion of your God's choice of extermination in this particular example?

Of course, be prepared for the answer to be something along the lines of, "our limited minds cannot grasp the reason; however, god knows all, so rest assured that the way he chooses to do things is, by definition, the best possible choice".

Offline wheels5894

• Reader
  • Darwins +106/-1
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2014, 07:49:11 AM »
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +523/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2014, 08:01:58 AM »
I know there are theists who believe the Great Flood as described in Genesis literally did cover the earth in water.  Are there any calculations which show how long it would take for this much water to evaporate back to pre-flood levels? 

Sincerely,

OldChurchGuy
I think I have posted this before, but this is how the fully-rigged, ocean-going fundamentalist sees the flood:

http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php/topic,17992.msg400281.html#msg400281
OK,

Obviously all you sinners did not realise that there is a perfectly sensible explanation and that The Flood really did cause the canyons on Mars: The Fountains of the deep ejected water into space, this became comets which hit Mars. (I’m feeling a bit of an idiot now for not realising this)

However, I will admit that when reading the OP, I was sceptical, so I wrote to the Radio Station

Dear Sir,
in

http://www.creationmoments.com/radio/transcripts/did-noahs-flood-affect-mars-too

you quote the following:

"While the Bible doesn't say anything about the flood that would suggest Mars was involved, some creation geologists say that it may have been. Once thing is certain. This water action did not take place billions of years ago as those who believe in evolution say."

I am in the middle of preparing a modest publication on the Noahide Flood; I would be most grateful if could you give me some references for the creation geologists who have suggested that the Flood involved Mars as you say.

YIC

“Graybeard”

Sent: Thu, February 24, 2011 10:07:33 PM
Subject: Genesis Flood and Mars

Dear “Graybeard”:

Thank you for your interest in Creation Moments and our little radio program.
As far as I am aware, there is only one creationist who has suggested a possible connection between water [?] on Mars, water on our Moon and the Genesis Flood. The quote below is taken from the seventh edition [2001] of Dr. Walter Brown’s book In the Beginning …

Quote page 199: About 85% of a comet’s mass is frozen water. Therefore to understand comet origins, one must ask, “Where is water found?” Earth … must head the list … other planets, moons and even interstellar space have only traces of water, or possible water. These traces, instead of producing the comets, may have been caused by comets or water vapor that the “fountains of the great deep” launched into space [at the beginning of the Genesis Flood]. Quote continued, page 200. How could so many comets have recently hit the moon, and probably the planet Mercury [and Mars] that ice remains? Ice on the Moon and certainly on Mercury [and Mars] should disappear faster than the comets that deposited it. However, if 50,000 comets were ejected recently [5,000 years ago] from the Earth and an “ocean” of water vapor was injected into the inner solar system, the problem disappears. Comet impacts on Mars probably created brief saltwater flows, carving the famous “erosion” channels.

Brackets in the above quote are my added words. Dr. Brown’s discussion then continues for several more pages and includes tables of data and equations. I have great respect for Dr. Brown and know him personally as a Christian brother. Dr Brown’s hydroplate theory proposes that prior to the Genesis Flood there was an annular space between the Earth’s outer shell and the solid inner core. That space was maintained by supporting pillars between the shell and the core and was filled with hot salty water under pressure. At the time of the Flood the outer shell cracked down the center of what is today the Atlantic Ocean and the crack continued around the world at the ocean bottoms; there is abundant evidence for this. The Genesis Flood was initiated by this fracture opening to release the water jetting into space, breaking up into frozen balls and becoming orbiting comets. Evidently, some of these comets have since hit the Moon, Mercury and, in recent discoveries, possibly Mars. In another place he points out that on these planetary bodies the ice turned to water that left evidences of its presence by gullies, canyons etc but in the very low atmospheric pressures, this water quickly vaporized.

I can thoroughly recommend Dr.Brown’s rather massive though well reproduced book but particularly his scholarship. It can be purchased or downloaded at no cost at http://www.creationscience.com/

--o0o--

Dear Zena,
I thank you for your excellent and detailed response. You've been very helpful and it is more interesting than I could have imagined. I will read Dr. Walter Brown’s book In the Beginning … with interest.

“Graybeard.”

I hope that puts an end to all this mockery of Genesis!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 08:12:17 AM by Graybeard »
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Online OldChurchGuy

• Reader
  • Darwins +101/-2
  • One of those theists who enjoys exchanging ideas
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2014, 08:28:20 AM »
I know there are theists who believe the Great Flood as described in Genesis literally did cover the earth in water.  Are there any calculations which show how long it would take for this much water to evaporate back to pre-flood levels? 

Sincerely,

OldChurchGuy
I think I have posted this before, but this is how the fully-rigged, ocean-going fundamentalist sees the flood:

http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php/topic,17992.msg400281.html#msg400281
OK,

Obviously all you sinners did not realise that there is a perfectly sensible explanation and that The Flood really did cause the canyons on Mars: The Fountains of the deep ejected water into space, this became comets which hit Mars. (I’m feeling a bit of an idiot now for not realising this)

However, I will admit that when reading the OP, I was sceptical, so I wrote to the Radio Station

Dear Sir,
in

http://www.creationmoments.com/radio/transcripts/did-noahs-flood-affect-mars-too

you quote the following:

"While the Bible doesn't say anything about the flood that would suggest Mars was involved, some creation geologists say that it may have been. Once thing is certain. This water action did not take place billions of years ago as those who believe in evolution say."

I am in the middle of preparing a modest publication on the Noahide Flood; I would be most grateful if could you give me some references for the creation geologists who have suggested that the Flood involved Mars as you say.

YIC

“Graybeard”

Sent: Thu, February 24, 2011 10:07:33 PM
Subject: Genesis Flood and Mars

Dear “Graybeard”:

Thank you for your interest in Creation Moments and our little radio program.
As far as I am aware, there is only one creationist who has suggested a possible connection between water [?] on Mars, water on our Moon and the Genesis Flood. The quote below is taken from the seventh edition [2001] of Dr. Walter Brown’s book In the Beginning …

Quote page 199: About 85% of a comet’s mass is frozen water. Therefore to understand comet origins, one must ask, “Where is water found?” Earth … must head the list … other planets, moons and even interstellar space have only traces of water, or possible water. These traces, instead of producing the comets, may have been caused by comets or water vapor that the “fountains of the great deep” launched into space [at the beginning of the Genesis Flood]. Quote continued, page 200. How could so many comets have recently hit the moon, and probably the planet Mercury [and Mars] that ice remains? Ice on the Moon and certainly on Mercury [and Mars] should disappear faster than the comets that deposited it. However, if 50,000 comets were ejected recently [5,000 years ago] from the Earth and an “ocean” of water vapor was injected into the inner solar system, the problem disappears. Comet impacts on Mars probably created brief saltwater flows, carving the famous “erosion” channels.

Brackets in the above quote are my added words. Dr. Brown’s discussion then continues for several more pages and includes tables of data and equations. I have great respect for Dr. Brown and know him personally as a Christian brother. Dr Brown’s hydroplate theory proposes that prior to the Genesis Flood there was an annular space between the Earth’s outer shell and the solid inner core. That space was maintained by supporting pillars between the shell and the core and was filled with hot salty water under pressure. At the time of the Flood the outer shell cracked down the center of what is today the Atlantic Ocean and the crack continued around the world at the ocean bottoms; there is abundant evidence for this. The Genesis Flood was initiated by this fracture opening to release the water jetting into space, breaking up into frozen balls and becoming orbiting comets. Evidently, some of these comets have since hit the Moon, Mercury and, in recent discoveries, possibly Mars. In another place he points out that on these planetary bodies the ice turned to water that left evidences of its presence by gullies, canyons etc but in the very low atmospheric pressures, this water quickly vaporized.

I can thoroughly recommend Dr.Brown’s rather massive though well reproduced book but particularly his scholarship. It can be purchased or downloaded at no cost at http://www.creationscience.com/

--o0o--

Dear Zena,
I thank you for your excellent and detailed response. You've been very helpful and it is more interesting than I could have imagined. I will read Dr. Walter Brown’s book In the Beginning … with interest.

“Graybeard.”

I hope that puts an end to all this mockery of Genesis!

Silly me.  I was not including such a possibility in my question.  Thank you for the link and information.

Sincerely,

OldChurchGuy
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle - Philo of Alexandria

Whether one believes in a religion or not, and whether one believes in rebirth or not, there isn't anyone who doesn't appreciate kindness and compassion - Dalai Lama