Author Topic: COSMOS  (Read 840 times)

Online Willie

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +72/-1
COSMOS
« on: March 09, 2014, 06:58:25 PM »
The new Cosmos with Neil Degrasse Tyson is only about an hour away. I can hardly wait.  There's another science show on now, but National Geographic channel has been playing episodes from the original Cosmos series most of the day. It's nice to see and hear Carl Sagan on TV again.

I'm really pleased that Fox has put as much promotion into this as they have. Science rarely (almost never, actually) gets this kind of respect and attention. It's long overdue and much needed. The pilot episode will be on 10 Fox channels simultaneously, which is quite amazing, really. Has Fox (or anyone else, for that matter) ever done that for any science show? Major sporting events, wars, natural disasters, and elections are about the only things that get broader coverage than that. But an educational show about science? I don't think this has happened before.

Anyway, I have to get back to baking some pot pies in preparation for a family night in front of the boob tube, though that appellation seems a malapropism when something as good as this is on. And, of course, most of them don't have tubes anymore.

Offline DVZ3

• Reader
  • Darwins +40/-7
Re: COSMOS
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 07:16:04 PM »

Thanks for the reminder!
Hguols: "Its easier for me to believe that a God created everything...."

Online Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +49/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 08:03:32 PM »
Woohoo, I've been waiting for this all day!

ahem, Neil Degrasse Tyson is hot...........  :-*
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +307/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 09:00:53 PM »

Oh no...not another one. Say it ain't so, Joe? Say it ain't so...

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +84/-1
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 08:22:37 AM »
Oh, drat!! Forgot to watch it. I suppose the Fox website will replay it?

Offline Dante

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-9
  • Hedonist Extraordinaire
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 08:26:55 AM »
Nat Geo is supposed to re-air it today. And yeah, if you missed it, find a way to watch it!

It was pretty good, I thought, and has huge potential going forward.
Actually it doesn't. One could conceivably be all-powerful but not exceptionally intelligent.

Offline Xero-Kill

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +10/-0
  • Wait... what?
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 11:13:18 AM »
As I watched last night I constantly found myself asking why Christians have ANY problem with any of this stuff. As I watched the story of Bruno I asked myself why the church felt compelled to make their god so small and petty. Of course it occurs to me that this is the highest of SPAG, because those priests were small and petty. I have never understood the Christian propensity to place limitations on their unlimited creator. If I had a nickel for every time a Christian started their description of God with "He can't..."

Take the big bang for example: As I watched their visual representation of it I figured to myself "If god 'spoke creation into existence' why wouldn't it be exactly that fucking cool!" There was never anything said or suggested in that show that couldn't be the work of a god.

God-of-the-Gaps, I know... I just don't see why anything we can determine about the Universe should ever be a threat to god. If anything, I would expect a truly omni-max deity would WANT it's creation to figure it all out, because only then would it have a true peer to converse with.
"Our fathers were our models for God. If our fathers bailed, what does that tell you about God? You have to consider the possibility that God does not like you. He never wanted you. In all probability, he hates you. This is not the worst thing that can happen."

~Tyler Durden

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +49/-0
  • IXNAY
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 12:54:06 PM »
There was never anything said or suggested in that show that couldn't be the work of a god.

The words of the Bible box-in Yahweh's creation story:  The entire universe in 7 days with the earth at the center, our moon producing it's own light, a big layer of water above the stars, etc.  If reality differs from the Bible, then reality is wrong.

I felt a little sad for Tyson at the end having to explain why science is what it is, why it's important, and how it relates to cosmology.  It left me feeling the program was aimed at 10-year olds.
There is no opinion so absurd that a preacher could not express it.
-- Bernie Katz

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +125/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2014, 02:29:41 PM »

Another member of the NDT fan club... whoo hooo!    :-*
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline El Guapo

• Freshman
  • Darwins +3/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2014, 03:53:15 PM »
As I watched last night I constantly found myself asking why Christians have ANY problem with any of this stuff. As I watched the story of Bruno I asked myself why the church felt compelled to make their god so small and petty. Of course it occurs to me that this is the highest of SPAG, because those priests were small and petty. I have never understood the Christian propensity to place limitations on their unlimited creator. If I had a nickel for every time a Christian started their description of God with "He can't..."

Take the big bang for example: As I watched their visual representation of it I figured to myself "If god 'spoke creation into existence' why wouldn't it be exactly that fucking cool!" There was never anything said or suggested in that show that couldn't be the work of a god.

God-of-the-Gaps, I know... I just don't see why anything we can determine about the Universe should ever be a threat to god. If anything, I would expect a truly omni-max deity would WANT it's creation to figure it all out, because only then would it have a true peer to converse with.

NDT pretty much neutralized any arguments for Intelligent Design when, at the beginning of the show,  he stated the scientific rules from which all our conclusions/knowledge of the Cosmos were formed:

"To make this journey we'll need imagination, but imagination alone is not enough because the reality of nature is far more wondrous than anything we can imagine. This adventure is made possible by generations of searchers strictly adhering to a simple set of rules. Test ideas by experiment and observation, build on those ideas that pass the test, reject the ones that fail. Follow the evidence wherever it leads and question everything. Accept these terms, and the cosmos is yours."  Neil Degrasse Tyson, COSMOS Part I

Offline Dante

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-9
  • Hedonist Extraordinaire
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2014, 04:16:40 PM »
It left me feeling the program was aimed at 10-year olds.

Well, it was on Fox after all. And I was fairly surprised that they were the network showing it when I 1st heard of it.
Actually it doesn't. One could conceivably be all-powerful but not exceptionally intelligent.

Offline Xero-Kill

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +10/-0
  • Wait... what?
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2014, 04:40:01 PM »
That it is aimed at a 10 year old mind is a good thing, IMO. The people that already get it don't need to be convinced so if they aim any higher they would be 'preaching to the choir.' (pardon the pun)
"Our fathers were our models for God. If our fathers bailed, what does that tell you about God? You have to consider the possibility that God does not like you. He never wanted you. In all probability, he hates you. This is not the worst thing that can happen."

~Tyler Durden

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +307/-82
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2014, 05:47:04 PM »
I read it bombed.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline lotanddaughters

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +48/-20
  • Artist: Simon Vouet (1633)
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2014, 04:28:50 PM »
It's pretty neat to see how these science shows are getting more and more anti-religious.

I enjoyed watching the first episode.
Enough with your bullshit.
. . . Mr. Friday . . . that post really is golden.

Offline Andy S.

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +35/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2014, 05:06:09 PM »
My wife and I really enjoyed it. We are looking forward to watching the whole series.  We asked each other what we would have said about it if we were still Christians.  I think we would have thought that scientists just have "theory's" (without actually knowing what a scientific theory is) about the beginnings of the universe and that they don't "know" anything.  We found it interesting that once we came out of our faith we began to get really into science.  As a theist you think that scientists are lying to you so you aren't interested in anything that they have to say.  We have a true hunger for knowledge and even though science can't explain everything, scientists are always searching.  It's not like religion, that start with God and must end with God no matter what kind of evidence is presented to them that contradicts the holy scripture of their God(s).
"The most detestable wickedness, the most horrid cruelties, and the greatest miseries, that have afflicted the human race, have had their origin in this thing called revelation, or revealed religion."
~Thomas Paine (The Age of Reason)

Offline SevenPatch

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +108/-4
  • A source will help me understand.
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2014, 06:41:41 PM »
If anyone was interested and didn't google "cosmos debut", I came across this article on the daily banter which had some pics of odd tweets about the debut.

My favorite was MaximumFreedom who talks about an anti-christian agenda then tells readers to go to cathlic.com to find out about it lol.

Then there is TFlush right below that who combines anti christian with liberal for some reason. 

« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 06:47:26 PM by SevenPatch »
"Shut him up! We have a lot invested in this ride - SHUT HIM UP! Look at my furrows of worry! Look at my big bank account, and my family! This just HAS to be real!" - Bill Hicks

Offline Jontom10

• Graduate
  • Darwins +14/-0
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2014, 02:20:36 PM »
Watched the first three episodes. I had my doubts at first; I thought that it would struggle to walk in the footsteps of the giant that Carl Sagan is.

So far I have found it interesting and enjoyable to watch. Doesn't have the impact of Carl Sagans original but good on its own merit.
Hasa Diga Eebowai

Online Disciple of Sagan

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +58/-0
  • Current mood: Malcontent
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2014, 05:00:32 PM »
Watched the first three episodes. I had my doubts at first; I thought that it would struggle to walk in the footsteps of the giant that Carl Sagan is.

So far I have found it interesting and enjoyable to watch. Doesn't have the impact of Carl Sagans original but good on its own merit.

I have to agree... I grew up watching Cosmos, and it just doesn't feel the same without Carl.

That being said, I cannot think of a more worthy successor than Neil Degrasse Tyson.
The cosmos is also within us. We are made of star stuff.

The only thing bigger than the universe is humanity's collective sense of self-importance.

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +45/-416
  • Christianity is the most beautiful religion.
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2014, 07:06:39 PM »
I know a lot of people might disagree with my opinion, but I feel that the show is propaganda designed to steer people away from religion. There is no mention of immaterialism by Tyson on the show. It just assumes materialism.

I feel that is biased.
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - Jesus (said 2,000 years ago and still true today.)

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +556/-17
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2014, 08:09:20 AM »
To quote Sagan himself, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

Offline Jontom10

• Graduate
  • Darwins +14/-0
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2014, 03:14:41 PM »
I have to agree... I grew up watching Cosmos, and it just doesn't feel the same without Carl.

That being said, I cannot think of a more worthy successor than Neil Degrasse Tyson.

I have to agree with you. Neil Degrasse Tyson has championed and promoted science to the younger generations tirelessly and is not afraid to step up to a theological debate and handle it with the ease Carl Sagan did.
Hasa Diga Eebowai

Online Willie

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +72/-1
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2014, 04:37:39 PM »
It's good to see Neil directly confronting some popular creationist ideas. He took on irreducible complexity, specifically the evolution of eyes, in the first episode, and the 6000 year old creation in the fourth.

But my favorite episode so far is the third, which gets into a bit of science history about Isaac Newton and Edmond Halley, and the role that Halley played in getting Newton's "Philosophiæ Naturalis Principia Mathematica" written and published, and how important that was. It's possible that without Halley's efforts, Newton's world-changing book might never have been published, or even written. It's hard to imagine a greater loss to human progress than that would have been.

Online shnozzola

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2014, 05:28:29 PM »
Latest tidbit last night from Neil - the underground Japanese chamberthat is looking for neutrinos.  Bible Student, if you still stop in from time to time, the latest episode talked a lot about evolution - wondering what you thought?

Plus this:

Super-Kamiokande

"The Super-K is located 1,000 m (3,300 ft) underground in the Mozumi Mine in Hida's Kamioka area. It consists of a cylindrical stainless steel tank that is 41.4 m (136 ft) tall and 39.3 m (129 ft) in diameter holding 50,000 tons of ultra-pure water. The tank volume is divided by a stainless steel superstructure into an inner detector (ID) region that is 33.8 m (111 ft) in diameter and 36.2 m (119 ft) in height and outer detector (OD) which consists of the remaining tank volume. Mounted on the superstructure are 11,146 photomultiplier tubes (PMT) 20 in (51 cm) in diameter that face the ID and 1,885 8 in (20 cm) PMTs that face the OD. There is a Tyvek and blacksheet barrier attached to the superstructure that optically separates the ID and OD"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super-Kamiokande
“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something."  ~ T. H. White
  The real holy trinity:  onion, celery, and bell pepper ~  all Cajun Chefs

Offline voodoo child

• Reader
  • Darwins +10/-0
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2014, 09:11:17 PM »
I think the show is excellent. Liked it when I was kid, Its even better to see a black atheist tell it like it is. 

sucka.                            :D
The classical man is just a bundle of routine, ideas and tradition. If you follow the classical pattern, you are understanding the routine, the tradition, the shadow, you are not understanding yourself. Truth has no path. Truth is living and therefore changing. Bruce lee

Offline Bereft_of_Faith

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +39/-2
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2014, 11:38:17 PM »
I know a lot of people might disagree with my opinion, but I feel that the show is propaganda designed to steer people away from religion. There is no mention of immaterialism by Tyson on the show. It just assumes materialism.

I feel that is biased.

Here's a tissue

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2014, 12:58:01 AM »

I feel that is biased.

Its a science show. You know, the kind where people explore the universe using testable, measurable, observable stuff?

Whenever anyone can show evidence of religion actually, you know, existing ... maybe then it can get on a science show.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +307/-82
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2014, 01:03:01 AM »

I feel that is biased.

Its a science show. You know, the kind where people explore the universe using testable, measurable, observable stuff?

Whenever anyone can show evidence of religion actually, you know, existing ... maybe then it can get on a science show.

Religion exists. There is plenty of evidence of religion. I think you need to reword a bit.

-Nam