Author Topic: Is This Actually 2014?  (Read 263 times)

Offline Ron Jeremy

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +61/-2
  • WWGHA Member
Is This Actually 2014?
« on: August 22, 2014, 12:31:34 PM »
*checks calendar*

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn26092-blaming-ebola-on-gods-wrath-is-worse-than-you-think.html#.U_d95_mSxBc

"Our imaginary friend has caused Ebola! But if everyone begs him, he might change his plan and not cause it!"
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - An example of a clearly demonstrably false biblical 'prophesy'.

The biblical myth of a 6000 year old Earth is proven false by the Gaia satellite directly measuring star age.

Offline Ron Jeremy

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +61/-2
  • WWGHA Member
Re: Is This Actually 2014?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 12:38:47 PM »
^^ From the New Scientist article;

"When illness is seen as punishment, the ill are seen as punished. Stigmatising sickness is dangerous: it renders the sufferer as "other" and becomes a protective mechanism by which the healthy distance themselves, physically and psychologically, from the unwell. The sick are cursed, and the healthy, by necessary contrast, are blessed. This cannot but have an effect on how those suffering from illness are treated: If disease is divine punishment, then by definition they "deserve it"

Religion is such a cancer itself.
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - An example of a clearly demonstrably false biblical 'prophesy'.

The biblical myth of a 6000 year old Earth is proven false by the Gaia satellite directly measuring star age.

Offline epidemic

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +61/-14
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 01:03:45 PM »

"When illness is seen as punishment, the ill are seen as punished. Stigmatising sickness is dangerous: it renders the sufferer as "other" and becomes a protective mechanism by which the healthy distance themselves, physically and psychologically, from the unwell. The sick are cursed, and the healthy, by necessary contrast, are blessed. This cannot but have an effect on how those suffering from illness are treated: If disease is divine punishment, then by definition they "deserve it"

One could say that or one could say the opposite. 

That's the beauty of religion,  everyone can be right at the same time, and everyone can claim the opposing possition is wrong..

Offline YRM_DM

• Graduate
  • Darwins +92/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 01:21:47 PM »
How about this gem?

The belief that Ebola is a sign of judgement is shared by some in the evangelical community. "Bring on the Ebola virus," one website proclaims. "God does not exist to give us what we want, and if killing off our loved ones is going to help us realize this, then this is what He will do." The Christian radio host Rick Wiles warned that "if Ebola becomes a global plague, you better make sure the blood of Jesus is upon you, you better make sure you have been marked by the angels so that you are protected by God".

Let's say that you're a well meaning, hopeful 13 year old girl with straight As who goes to church but doesn't quite understand all of it.  You're hard working, respectful, excited for your chances in life.  You're a real person with real goals and real dreams.

But God's "purpose" for "you" is to brutally slay you with a bleeding plague to help your sinful father realize that God doesn't exist to give us what we want.

Not to punish the girl... but to "help" the father become a better person by watching his young daughter bleed out her eyeballs.

I would happily flip this "god" the double finger on my way to hell...   I know good from evil and I KNOW that such a god would be evil incarnate.   Hopefully there's a higher god above YahWeh that rewards those of us who figure out the "biblical god" is a pile of shit.  (per the translation above from a religious leader)

Is anyone ok with this?

JST?   Skeptic?  Luk?    You're driving home from a bible study and are broad sided by a semi truck.   A rib shatters and punctures your stomach.   Nobody finds you and it takes 3-4 agonizing days for you to die.   Your family is left without a care-giver and your kids are left devastated.   Some of your children stop believing in god and are sent to hell for eternity.

You ask God, "Why?"  And he says, "oh... I was just hoping to help your mom realize that I don't give people what they want... sorry about your kid's skin burning off for eternity, but I own all you bitches... hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah"

THIS IS THE ARGUMENT THAT RELIGIOUS LEADERS ARE SPOUTING?    I hope god teaches HIM a lesson by having all his family die horribly so he can eat those awful words.

It's crap like this that makes me so relieved to realize "god is imaginary" but I like to illustrate just why these mental backflips to justify god's awfulness are so hurtful and awful.   Screw any religious person who says something like that.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 01:23:57 PM by YRM_DM »
You can't spell BELIEVE without LIE...  and a few other letters.  B and E and V and I think E.

Offline Ron Jeremy

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +61/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 01:37:28 PM »
Just for you YRM_DM;

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +819/-6
  • If you are religious, you are misconcepted
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 01:58:49 PM »
Besides the stigma and stuff, it causes other problems. By falsely identifying the source, it causes some to think that there is nothing anyone can do about it, and hence they do not have any impetus to be a part of the solution. Also, it falsely simplifies the problem, causing people to think it is a black and white issue, that either a person is going to get it or they aren't, and it does nothing towards incentivizing people to take the proper precautions, etc.

All this while in real life, the last thing humans need while trying to deal with the ebola problem is ignorance. But that is the first thing that the extremely religious think of. Why am I not surprised?
Jesus, the cracker flavored treat!

Offline YRM_DM

• Graduate
  • Darwins +92/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2014, 03:27:15 PM »
That video was great.   I needed a laugh after reading about how "God does not exist to give us what we want, and if killing off our loved ones is going to help us realize this, then this is what He will do."

Notice how God has the power to interact in the real world by killing off our loved ones... but not the power to confirm his existence, be proven in any scientific study of prayer, save little kids from getting raped by priests who are probably begging in prayer.

God has the power to help millionaires catch touchdowns, to help UFC fighters concuss and injure other fighters, and to slay other people you love, excluding that THEY are a unique person, just to teach YOU a lesson because it's all about YOU.

But all those people with all those super strong personal relationships with God can't actually get him to tell them something like, "YRM, the name of your first three pets were X, Y, and Z.  God said to say that would help you believe in him."

He can craft EBOLA and punish a nation with it but he can't tell JST or Skeptic my mom's maiden name so that I'd be convinced God might be a real-external force.

Lovely.
You can't spell BELIEVE without LIE...  and a few other letters.  B and E and V and I think E.

Offline natlegend

• Reader
  • Darwins +70/-0
  • Polyatheist
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2014, 07:49:31 PM »

It's reminiscent of a bunch of villagers pointing at someone with leprosy and shouting "Unclean! Unclean!"
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Offline kcrady

• Reader
  • Darwins +454/-1
  • Your Friendly Neighborhood Cephalopod Overlord
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2014, 02:06:12 AM »

Note that this is pretty much exactly what the religion of Capitalism does in relation to someone whose "job" gets outsourced to China or taken over by automation.  Just replace "sick" and "healthy" with "unemployed" and "employed," respectively.
"The question of whether atheists are, you know, right, typically gets sidestepped in favor of what is apparently the much more compelling question of whether atheists are jerks."

--Greta Christina

Offline epidemic

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +61/-14
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2014, 07:52:21 AM »