Author Topic: what is this fallacy 2 & 3  (Read 90 times)

Online eh!

• Reader
  • Darwins +83/-36
  • jimmy hendrix is jesus
what is this fallacy 2 & 3
« on: August 26, 2014, 05:09:52 PM »
1 is on another thread, I don't want to get them confused;

2. two competing gov policies one from the incumbent gov and another from the opposition, both policies contain completely opposite strategies to solve a specific problem;

opposition claims gov policy is stupid

gov claims their policy is best

policy is enacted/Implemented

results/data come in after time for policy to be played out

results seem to show both good data and less than good data - as any policy would

gov says see the policy worked overall and can support by data

opposition says yes it did do some good but if you followed our policy things would have been so much better (this can neither be proved or disproved)

3. a guy throwing peanuts off the roof of a tall building and when asked why he says it keeps the monsters away, the puzzled onlooker says "there are no monsters out there" the peanut thrower replies " see it works" is that proof? what fallacy is it if it is a fallacy?
Signature goes here...

Offline SevenPatch

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +108/-4
  • A source will help me understand.
Re: what is this fallacy 2 & 3
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 05:57:39 PM »
Point 3 is non-sequitur (asserting that A implies B when it does not) and could be considered specious reasoning (false reasoning meant to give comfort to the believer).

Point 2 is likely the same as point 3 if the opposition is assuming their plan would have worked just because the gov plan didn't do as well.  Really, I'd need to know more.  On the surface it could just be specious reasoning which isn't necessarily wrong and the opposition might be right.  In politics though, non-sequitur rules along side ad-hoc and ad-hominem.  Identifying logical fallacies in political discussions is like fishing with dynamite.  If politicians couldn't use logical fallacies, they'd have to tell the truth (probably).

"Shut him up! We have a lot invested in this ride - SHUT HIM UP! Look at my furrows of worry! Look at my big bank account, and my family! This just HAS to be real!" - Bill Hicks

Online eh!

• Reader
  • Darwins +83/-36
  • jimmy hendrix is jesus
Re: what is this fallacy 2 & 3
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 06:34:56 PM »
thanks, I have much work to do.
Signature goes here...