Author Topic: A gay in the hand ...  (Read 293 times)

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +130/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
A gay in the hand ...
« on: April 04, 2014, 06:41:14 AM »
I had heard that there was a strong correlation of homosexual orientation with successive sons born to the same mother (each successive son born has a 33% greater chance of being gay), but I hadn't heard that this correlation only applies to right-handed sons. There is no correlation to homosexuality and birth order for left-handed sons.

Also interesting, homosexuality among females has no correlation to birth order or handedness.

Isn't life strange?

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: A gay in the hand ...
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 09:37:10 PM »
No, but this topic is.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +285/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 06:50:11 AM »
15% (according to Wikipedia) is a small percentage, IMO. For example:
I'm the second-born son and am bisexual. I have a friend who's firstborn and is homosexual. My ex-boyfriend is firstborn and also homosexual. We are all right-handed. Where does that leave us? Outliers? EDIT: I recall yet another friend who's also homosexual. He is right-handed as well and an only son, as far as I know.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +130/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 09:00:29 AM »
That's why it's known as a correlation.

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +285/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 09:07:27 AM »
That's why it's known as a correlation.

Even dismissing these cases (four or five or even one hundred is not proof of anything when it comes to millions of non-heterosexuals), this is what you said you had heard: "(...) strong correlation (...)". Bold for emphasis. However, 15% (Wikipedia's number) is hardly "strong". Unless we've defined the term differently.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +130/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2014, 06:49:19 PM »
A correlation of 15% is significant in any statistical population (of sufficient size which the studies had). When there is zero (or nearly zero) correlation for left-handed homosexual men with older brothers and zero (or nearly zero) correlation for handedness for homosexual women regardless of age, sex or quantity of siblings, I view the right-handed-homosexual-men-with-older-brothers rate of 15% to be a strong correlation. Far lesser correlations are justified by state insurance departments for setting differential rates for insurance premiums,  or even among meteorologists for predicting the amount of snow that will fall in a winter storm, for example.

It means there's something worth investigating, but we don't know enough to know where to start.

Offline cwschizzy

• Student
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • WWGHA Member
    • Absurdity in Religion
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 05:13:39 PM »

It means there's something worth investigating, but we don't know enough to know where to start.

I look forward to when they do get an inkling of where to go from. I love odd scientific things like this.
Belief is irrelevant; the truth is not a democracy.
facebook.com/AbsurdityinReligion