Author Topic: Why Can't I Close My Ears?  (Read 404 times)

Online Ron Jeremy

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +60/-2
  • WWGHA Member
Why Can't I Close My Ears?
« on: March 31, 2014, 10:02:12 AM »
I end up in debates with a few Christians that think Genesis was literal and that the Garden of Eden was a real place. And of course in that place there was no death. I've asked creationists why animals have claws, stings, poison, camouflage and fangs when nothing would die. Now I've heard a few of them trying to weasel out of this by claiming that animals were allowed to eat each other, but this one I've not yet heard an answer to;

Why can't I close my ears? I was thinking this about 3am this morning as my wife snored (which was what woke me in the first place). I can close my eyes to help me sleep, but not my ears. Now I know why this is; we have evolved to have our ears on guard permanently. Things that can close their ears as they sleep tend to get eaten or burned to death in forest fires.

So creationists; if this god made us perfectly and there was no death in the Garden of Eden, why can't we close our ears?
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - An example of a clearly demonstrably false biblical 'prophesy'.

The biblical myth of a 6000 year old Earth is proven false by the Gaia satellite directly measuring star age.

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +771/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
Re: Why Can't I Close My Ears?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 10:08:34 AM »
Silly goose. When he made us perfect, we didn't snore.

But sinners snore. So its our own damned fault.

Next question?  ;D
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline Foxy Freedom

• Reader
  • Darwins +99/-12
  • Why is it so difficult to say you don't know?
    • Foxy Freedom on Doctor Who
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 10:41:17 AM »
If you want to close your ears become a Christian. :D

Hahaa
Neither Foxy Freedom nor any associates can be reached via WWGHA. Their official antitheist website is http://the6antitheist6guide6.blogspot.co.uk

The 2nd edition of the free ebook Devil or Delusion ? The danger of Christianity to Democracy Freedom and Science.       http://t.co/2d1KcJ9V

Online Ron Jeremy

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +60/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 10:41:38 AM »
Sigh...I'm just not bright enough to be a creationist... ;)
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - An example of a clearly demonstrably false biblical 'prophesy'.

The biblical myth of a 6000 year old Earth is proven false by the Gaia satellite directly measuring star age.

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +377/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 10:56:50 AM »
So creationists; if this god made us perfectly and there was no death in the Garden of Eden, why can't we close our ears?
Several potential answers:

1. We simply lack sufficient faith to do that which god has enabled us to be able to do.
2. God himself does not have ears that can be closed.  Ergo, being created in his image, we also do not have ears that can be closed.
3. You can spiritually close your ears, so your question is moot.
4. As per Kevin Smith[1], the voice of god is sufficient to annihilate a human being.  God simply did not want to make it easier for you to avoid his vengeful wrath.
5. Ear canals that can be closed may make something sexual like Shin She Shin She more pleasurable, and such an act is even more abominable than homosexual sex.  Ergo, he needed to squash that temptation.
6. The Ultimate TrumpcardTM - Mysterious Ways
 1. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120655/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +55/-0
  • IXNAY
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 11:23:43 AM »
Not sure I understand what you mean by 'closing of ears'. I've slept through roaring thunderstoms before, and so has my house cat. 
There is no opinion so absurd that a preacher could not express it.
-- Bernie Katz

Online Ron Jeremy

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +60/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, 12:41:24 PM »
Not sure I understand what you mean by 'closing of ears'. I've slept through roaring thunderstoms before, and so has my house cat.

You've obviously never slept in the same building as my wife... :(

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +377/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2014, 12:46:41 PM »

You've obviously never slept in the same building as my wife... :(

Must...resist...urge...to make...inappropriate...infidelity joke...
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/

Online Ron Jeremy

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +60/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2014, 03:16:27 PM »
Yeah, I realised no matter how I wrote that one I'd be leaving myself open!

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +897/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2014, 04:22:22 PM »
Yeah, I realised no matter how I wrote that one I'd be leaving myself open!

Must...resist...urge...to make...inappropriate...male homosexuality joke... ;)
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +534/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2014, 12:28:13 PM »
Mic:7:16: The nations shall see and be confounded at all their might: they shall lay their hand upon their mouth, their ears shall be deaf.

God gave us instructions on how to be temporarily deaf: simple, you put your hand on your mouth. If you have faith, this will work.
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Online skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +52/-438
  • Christianity is the most beautiful religion.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2014, 10:44:56 PM »
Mic:7:16: The nations shall see and be confounded at all their might: they shall lay their hand upon their mouth, their ears shall be deaf.

God gave us instructions on how to be temporarily deaf: simple, you put your hand on your mouth. If you have faith, this will work.

That is not an instruction on how to become deaf on your own. It is just saying what will happen. God will make their ears deaf. Read the next verse. It says they will lick dust like a snake. Context is key.
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - Jesus (said 2,000 years ago and still true today.)

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +534/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2014, 03:30:26 PM »
It is just saying what will happen. God will make their ears deaf.
Nice to know that have now read two verses of the Bible.

Anyway, are you saying that all deaf people are inherently evil and will go to hell because they are enemies of God?
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”