Author Topic: Noah's Flood Myth: Why did god spare marine life?  (Read 394 times)

Offline Disciple of Sagan

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +54/-0
  • Current mood: Malcontent
Noah's Flood Myth: Why did god spare marine life?
« on: March 28, 2014, 01:15:30 PM »
With the recent release of "Noah" in the movie theaters, I've once again found myself wondering how any person with an iota of intelligence could accept this story as being historically and scientifically accurate.

Upon watching the Darren Aronofsky interview on The Colbert Report, I was left wondering how theists could explain away how whales, sharks, lobsters and every other form of aquatic life managed to survive god's wholesale annihilation of <snip> "all flesh in which is the breath of life, from under heaven; everything that is on the earth shall perish." (Genesis 6:17)

After some online reading on a few Christian websites, I discovered that they all shared the same belief that... for reasons no one would explain... god's wrath did not extend to fish, sea mammals, crustaceans, plankton etc.

Now, I am aware that the actual wording in the Bible... specifically passages such as 7:22 where it states "of all that was on the dry land, all in whose nostrils was the breath of the spirit of life, died."... could be twisted by theists as an "out", but that still begs the question "why?".

Why were only the land animals "corrupt" and not those that dwelt in water? This is a topic I have yet to see addressed by believers. Has anyone here come across this subject being discussed/debated and if so, where?

P.S. Good to see so many familiar faces after being away for the past, couple of months.
The cosmos is also within us. We are made of star stuff.

The only thing bigger than the universe is humanity's collective sense of self-importance.

Offline wheels5894

• Reader
  • Darwins +106/-1
Re: Noah's Flood Myth: Why did god spare marine life?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 01:28:16 PM »
Well it all depends on how one reads the text, I suppose, though it looks more like a myth to explain how this god tried to get rid of evil rather than a true story. However...

On the assumption that the flood happened and that the tallest mountains were covered with water that had fallen as rain, we would have a rise in sea level of some 6 miles - a vast, vast, vast increase in water. The snag is that whilst it would be fine for fresh water animals, it would be no good for sea going creatures who are adapted to live in salt water. Such creatures would rapidly lose minerals to the water around them and die. So by the time the water had gone down, the loss of water based creatures would be the sea creatures who would have died and those of the fresh water creatures who happened to end up dumped on the land and missed the rivers. Carnage on a grand scale I would think. Cetaceans might have survived but not other sea life.

I wonder if god has to re-create them?
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +54/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 01:39:36 PM »
Hey, wheels. Thanks for the reply.

I think you misunderstood the gist of my question... if god's motive for the flood (which I agree is a myth) was due to the earth being "corrupt in the sight of god", and that he was "sorry" he made "them" (from man to animals to creeping things and to birds of the sky)... then why wasn't he sorry he made marine life, too? In other words, if the entire earth was corrupt, then wouldn't it follow that his edict to extinguish all life not on the ark extend to sea life?

I know there are already so many solid arguments and evidence debunking the universal flood myth, but I like to have as many bullets in my gun as possible to shoot holes in theist's arguments to the contrary.

The only thing bigger than the universe is humanity's collective sense of self-importance.

Offline wheels5894

• Reader
  • Darwins +106/-1
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 01:42:12 PM »
Hey, wheels. Thanks for the reply.

I think you misunderstood the gist of my question... if god's motive for the flood (which I agree is a myth) was due to the earth being "corrupt in the sight of god", and that he was "sorry" he made "them" (from man to animals to creeping things and to birds of the sky)... then why wasn't he sorry he made marine life, too? In other words, if the entire earth was corrupt, then wouldn't it follow that his edict to extinguish all life not on the ark extend to sea life?

I know there are already so many solid arguments and evidence debunking the universal flood myth, but I like to have as many bullets in my gun as possible to shoot holes in theist's arguments to the contrary.

Ah, well, er..... got it! The humans who wrote the myth couldn't think of how Noah could save the water creatures and they hadn't thought of the difference between salt and fresh water. Well, either that or the sea wasn't salty before Noah and his ark!
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +54/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 01:53:48 PM »
Well, either that or the sea wasn't salty before Noah and his ark!

Sadly, this is one of the "scientific" excuses (the oceans were not as salty) I've seen mentioned on the Christian websites.

You would think god would have used the opportunity to wipe out shellfish so, you know, we aren't tempted to eat them....  ;)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 01:55:19 PM by Disciple of Sagan »

Online 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +96/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 01:55:19 PM »
Just the logistics alone in getting all the animals on the ark is an absurd premise. Consider the size of the ark in scripture,it would not even fit all the mammals on earth,let alone the rest of the species on earth. Then there is the feeding of the animals,unless you invoke some kind of magic,it is impossible.

Then there is the remains of the human race,7 people ALL related to each other,repopulating the earth. YA right. This ridiculous story alone should make any believer start to question their faith.

here is a wiki page on ocean transport of livestock

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Livestock_carrier
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +54/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 02:01:48 PM »
Trust me, 12 Monkeys (hi, btw!), I agree the whole story is beyond ridiculous, but the point I was making in my OP is one I have yet to see covered by theists.

With all of the fish/marine life "spared", I can picture Christians pointing to this loophole to explain away what all of the carnivores ate after being let out of the ark, since there would have been nothing left on land (except rotting carcasses, perhaps) for them to eat.  &)

Online SevenPatch

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +91/-4
  • A source will help me understand.
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2014, 02:04:42 PM »
I recall reading somewhere that most of the water would have had to come from somewhere other than rain. 

If for instance all of the water were to have come via rainfall then the amount of water vapor in the atmosphere necessary to achieve flooding the entire earth up to the tallest mountain would have created so much pressure that it would have simply crushed everything long before the flood actually started.

Even if the flood did occur, it would have killed most if not all marine life as well as all plant life.  Any survivors would have died unless ample food supplies would have been available to all surviving life long enough for the entire ecosystem to recover.

Biblical literalists are insanely idiotic.

While I won't pay a dime to see this movie, I will probably watch it when it is available on say netflix or cable TV just for kicks.
"Shut him up! We have a lot invested in this ride - SHUT HIM UP! Look at my furrows of worry! Look at my big bank account, and my family! This just HAS to be real!" - Bill Hicks

Offline Dante

• Reader
  • Darwins +70/-8
  • Hedonist Extraordinaire
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2014, 02:08:01 PM »

I think you misunderstood the gist of my question... if god's motive for the flood (which I agree is a myth) was due to the earth being "corrupt in the sight of god",

God can't see under water, and diving masks hadn't been invented yet.
Actually it doesn't. One could conceivably be all-powerful but not exceptionally intelligent.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +685/-3
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2014, 02:12:23 PM »
You also have to consider sea birds, especially gulls, and albatrosses (albatrossi ?  ;D). Those dudes and dudettes don't need land. Nor do ducks or geese, though they'd have to go a year or so without reproducing.

But the gulls especially, as scavengers, would have had a heyday.

And penguins would probably do okay. The flood would have caused all the ice in Antactica to float to the surface of the new sea level, and that would give them a place to rest/nest and I'm pretty sure they don't mind eating trout and such if the sea life suffered because of the obvious desalination.

The question I would have a would be why didn't he just have Noah build a small boat, drown or otherwise zap everything, and then start over with the animals, and not makes things that chew their cuds, plus get rid of snakes, which were without legs for a reason, etc.

Of course it would have made more sense to start over with the people and not the animals. (Which is perhaps what he did before Eden, and he just lied about that "in the beginning" thingy).

Not everyone is entitled to their opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +685/-3
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2014, 02:16:08 PM »
Oh, forgot. The desalination would probably have been pretty rough on the plankton in the ocean. You know, the ones that produce over half the oxygen on the planet. And since the rest of the oxygen is produced by plants, most of which would have been wiped out big-time, the oxygen generating abilities of the plankton would have been missed even more if they were, like, you know, just as gone as the plants.

But that's all science. Science doesn't count when it comes to true tall tales such as this one. But it is fun to ask.
Not everyone is entitled to their opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Online 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +96/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2014, 02:16:40 PM »
Trust me, 12 Monkeys (hi, btw!), I agree the whole story is beyond ridiculous, but the point I was making in my OP is one I have yet to see covered by theists.

With all of the fish/marine life "spared", I can picture Christians pointing to this loophole to explain away what all of the carnivores ate after being let out of the ark, since there would have been nothing left on land (except rotting carcasses, perhaps) for them to eat.  &)
Take a good look at the wiki page at how complex the ventilation system on a livestock transport has to be. Now imagine all that waste material on a 2000 year old boat full of every animal (two of) on earth. there is more complex issues than just feeding all of them.
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline wheels5894

• Reader
  • Darwins +106/-1
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2014, 02:17:21 PM »
I think the greatest puzzle of them all is why Noah was allowed to take pigs on the ark (an animal that would later be declared unclean) to save this delightful and tasty and versatile animal only to tell humans that they can't eat it - not even a bacon sandwich!

Offline wheels5894

• Reader
  • Darwins +106/-1
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2014, 02:19:24 PM »

Take a good look at the wiki page at how complex the ventilation system on a livestock transport has to be. Now imagine all that waste material on a 2000 year old boat full of every animal (two of) on earth. there is more complex issues than just feeding all of them.

how about this for Noah to contemplate?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 02:31:29 PM by wheels5894 »

Online 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +96/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2014, 02:19:57 PM »
Oh, forgot. The desalination would probably have been pretty rough on the plankton in the ocean. You know, the ones that produce over half the oxygen on the planet. And since the rest of the oxygen is produced by plants, most of which would have been wiped out big-time, the oxygen generating abilities of the plankton would have been missed even more if they were, like, you know, just as gone as the plants.

But that's all science. Science doesn't count when it comes to true tall tales such as this one. But it is fun to ask.
Feeding the animals,waste management,re-population were all magic I guess

Online 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +96/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2014, 02:20:54 PM »

page not coming up wheels

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2014, 02:21:48 PM »
I'm pretty sure that the sea creatures were sinless. 

As were the bacteria in Noah's intestines. 

Not like the toddlers next door.  They had sin in their hearts.  And the kittens too. 

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +54/-0
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2014, 02:25:56 PM »
Biblical literalists are insanely idiotic.

One pro-Bible forum had a Muslim call Christians "idiots" for believing in a world-wide flood (he claims it was only a localized flood according to the Quran). Pot calling the kettle black, imo.  ;D

The question I would have a would be why didn't he just have Noah build a small boat, drown or otherwise zap everything, and then start over with the animals, and not makes things that chew their cuds, plus get rid of snakes, which were without legs for a reason, etc.

Of course it would have made more sense to start over with the people and not the animals. (Which is perhaps what he did before Eden, and he just lied about that "in the beginning" thingy).

An even more probing question is why not vaporize all the "corrupt" humans and leave all the animals alone. What did they do to deserve being brought to the brink of extinction? Maybe it sickened god to see... oh, for example... the rabbits f@$king like... well, you get the idea.

God can't see under water, and diving masks hadn't been invented yet.

The funny thing is that's a more logical explanation than anything I can envision theists coming up with.  ;D

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +54/-0
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2014, 02:29:06 PM »
I'm pretty sure that the sea creatures were sinless. 

As were the bacteria in Noah's intestines. 

Not like the toddlers next door.  They had sin in their hearts.  And the kittens too.

Well, it goes without saying that cats are the spawn of Satan... (hashtag: dog lover) ;D

Online 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +96/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2014, 02:30:13 PM »
considering what some believe about the rapture,it is a puzzle why he(God) has to be so complex in elimination of all but 7 humans. With the swipe of his hands,all but 7 could have easily been sent to hell,that is where they ended up,no?

Offline wheels5894

• Reader
  • Darwins +106/-1
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2014, 02:32:10 PM »

Link fixed in my original post but is this

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +54/-0
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2014, 02:33:41 PM »
considering what some believe about the rapture,it is a puzzle why he(God) has to be so complex in elimination of all but 7 humans. With the swipe of his hands,all but 7 could have easily been sent to hell,that is where they ended up,no?

Exactly! Throughout the entire Bible, "Mr. Omnipotent Creator" time and time again seems to prefer the "sledgehammer" approach to correcting problems. It'd be like my having a hangnail and deciding the solution be to chop off my arm. &)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 02:35:17 PM by Disciple of Sagan »

Online 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +96/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2014, 02:43:07 PM »

Link fixed in my original post but is this
fixed and WOW imagine this complex problem for 7 on a boat in a storm with 2000 year old wisdom and technology

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2014, 10:49:43 PM »
The OP is a stupid question for the mere fact you want an answer to a stupid story (whether, in the Christian/Jewish's mind, reality of not).  Why Christians propagate an OT story is beyond me based on the fact they keeping saying, "We only follow the NT".

-Nam
This is my signature "Nam", don't I have nice typing skills?

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +263/-33
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2014, 10:53:34 PM »
Why did YHWH spare Noah? Because if the story had ended with "And everyone and everything everywhere died. The end.", everyone would know it was BS, instead of just people who are able to think critically about that story (most of whom can't think critically about other stories, which is worse sometimes). I think even the most skilled double-thinking christians couldn't mix "Everyone and everything everywhere died" with "I exist". Unless, of course, they believed they were hand-picked by their deity, as christians (and just about every theist) often do.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +54/-0
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2014, 11:44:16 PM »
The OP is a stupid question for the mere fact you want an answer to a stupid story (whether, in the Christian/Jewish's mind, reality of not).  Why Christians propagate an OT story is beyond me based on the fact they keeping saying, "We only follow the NT".

-Nam

Following your logic, then this entire forum is "stupid" for the mere fact every atheist here is wasting their time discussing a stupid book belonging to a stupid religion. And yet, here we are.

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2014, 12:05:55 AM »
Their ultimate demise was just much slower than anticipated.

"People want to get whatever they want to get. Do I care? No, I don't care. People need certain things" - Senator Leland Yee (D) California

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2014, 12:27:58 AM »

-Nam

Following your logic, then this entire forum is "stupid" for the mere fact every atheist here is wasting their time discussing a stupid book belonging to a stupid religion. And yet, here we are.

If we just discussed the Bible on this site then yes this website would be stupid but "we" do not. We may mainly talk about it but it's not all that we talk about.

Try again.

-Nam
This is my signature "Nam", don't I have nice typing skills?

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +54/-0
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2014, 01:01:29 AM »
If we just discussed the Bible on this site then yes this website would be stupid but "we" do not. We may mainly talk about it but it's not all that we talk about.

Try again.

-Nam

K'. "Why won't god heal amputees?". Shall we discuss that topic, or does that, too, fall in the "stupid" category. Just wonderin'.