Author Topic: Infographic on dog breeds  (Read 304 times)

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +83/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
Infographic on dog breeds
« on: March 24, 2014, 07:38:11 PM »
An interesting take on the relationships between various dog breeds:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2588177/The-family-tree-DOGS-From-tiny-chihuahuas-great-danes-infographic-reveals-single-breed-related.html

Something I learned, from the accompanying article:
One possible reason dogs are so easily adaptable is because changing their genetic code is relatively simple compared to many other species.

In human genes, for example, nearly every characteristic is governed by a complex network of genes, which work in combination to display certain outcomes.

But with dogs, many quite drastic changes, such as fur type and ear shape, are controlled by a single genetic variation.

In fact, a huge research project called CanMap determined that every single biological difference affecting dogs' appearance is controlled by one of around 50 gene variations.

This simplicity is partly a result of the human activity which has tinkered with canine biology for thousands of years, and has therefore picked out the characteristics most easily changed by simple genes.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2588177/The-family-tree-DOGS-From-tiny-chihuahuas-great-danes-infographic-reveals-single-breed-related.html#ixzz2wvjcAqbt
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

So we've not only been breeding dogs for specific purposes, but we've been breeding them to be easier to breed, period. Fascinating.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +129/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
Re: Infographic on dog breeds
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 10:24:02 AM »
That is very interesting.  My chihuahua has had major encounters with 2 rottweilers.  One belongs to our neighbor up the street who stupidly left him loose and he attacked my dog when my son was walking him on a leash but luckily did not hurt him badly.  The other one is a service dog who is over friendly and tries so hard to befriend my dog but he is too intimidated.
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +925/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 03:14:15 PM »
Amazing graphic.
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +542/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 03:33:59 PM »
An interesting take on the relationships between various dog breeds:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2588177/The-family-tree-DOGS-From-tiny-chihuahuas-great-danes-infographic-reveals-single-breed-related.html
If you join ALL those dogs with one line, you end up with my dog. : )
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-1
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 04:13:53 PM »

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +925/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 07:28:43 PM »
I agree-- I like big mutts and I cannot lie! ;D
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.