Author Topic: Another Reagan-appointed judge against marriage inequality  (Read 239 times)

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +79/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
Another Reagan-appointed judge against marriage inequality
« on: March 21, 2014, 07:25:43 PM »
Another welcome moment of sanity: a state judge has ruled Michigan's ban on gay marriage unconstitutional. It's being appealed (of course), but it's still one more increment towards greater acceptance at all levels of society.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/judge-strikes-down-michigans-ban-on-gay-marriage/2014/03/21/556fc09c-b13d-11e3-b8b3-44b1d1cd4c1f_story.html?wpisrc=al_comboPN

From the linked article:
“Many Michigan residents have religious convictions whose principles govern the conduct of their daily lives and inform their own viewpoints about marriage,” Friedman said. “Nonetheless, these views cannot strip other citizens of the guarantees of equal protection under the law.”

Sing it, your honor.

And:
“State defendants lost sight of what this case is truly about: people,” the judge said. “No court record of this proceeding could ever fully convey the personal sacrifice of these two plaintiffs who seek to ensure that the state may no longer impair the rights of their children and the thousands of others now being raised by same-sex couples.”

Sweet, sweet words of reason against the bigots who are so terrified that their particular vision of the world might be different than someone else'.

Edit: the judge also delivered a healthy smackdown to the anti-gay-parenting "research" used by the defendants:
http://www.slate.com/blogs/outward/2014/03/21/michigan_same_sex_marriage_ban_struck_down_along_with_fake_regnerus_research.html

From the linked article:
Judge Friedman didn’t fall for any of it. “The Court finds Regnerus’s testimony entirely unbelievable and not worthy of serious consideration,” he wrote in what must be one of the most stinging and decisive repudiations of an expert witness in memory. He cited evidence that the conservative research was “hastily concocted at the behest of a third-party funder” which clearly expressed its wish for skewed results. Dismissing the defense’s other witnesses just as strongly, the judge wrote that “The Court was unable to accord the testimony of Marks, Price, and Allen any significant weight.” He concluded that “The most that can be said of these witnesses’ testimony is that the ‘no differences’ consensus has not been proven with scientific certainty, not that there is any credible evidence showing that children raised by same-sex couples fare worse than those raised by heterosexual couples.”
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 07:56:29 PM by wright »
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +130/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
Re: Another Reagan-appointed judge against marriage inequality
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 07:32:58 PM »
Once this issue makes it to SCOTUS, if SCOTUS doesn't rule positively on the right of everyone to marry there will be rioting in the streets.

Which is why SCOTUS will rule positively. Nine votes away from chaos.

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +79/-1
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 08:08:31 PM »
^^^I look forward to not only a positive SCOTUS ruling but the sweet, sweet schaedenfreude refined from the bigots' outrage at it. I will store it in genuine oak barrels where it will age magnificently, growing ever more rich and satisfying from year to year.

And every year afterwards I will pour a full glass, swirl it gently, savor the bouquet and drink a toast to one more nail in the coffin of bigotry.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 09:33:52 PM »
Anti-gay states will still pass laws making it illegal. They still pass unconstitutional laws on abortion, voting, and many other things.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +79/-1
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 03:08:00 AM »
^^^True. There is and will be backlash against greater acceptance, even with a positive SCOTUS ruling. But the tide is against the bigots; mainstreaming of the LGBT community is coming. Not without effort and not without setbacks, but it is coming.
--Marcus Aurelius