Author Topic: "Oh my god!" Offensive?  (Read 721 times)

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
"Oh my god!" Offensive?
« on: March 21, 2014, 05:19:19 PM »
I lost my iPad today. Spent over an hour retracing my steps and finally found it at a fabric store. I was in a complete panic by that point because I need it to run credit cards tomorrow and was already plotting how I could afford to replace it TODAY.

So, when I finally got there and saw it on their counter, I exclaimed "Oh my god, is that my iPad? You've saved my life!" And more of the same. Everyone else was smiling and happy for my reunion, but one woman asked me "could you please stop saying that?"

I find myself wondering why that's offensive. I hear it everywhere, and with well over 50 years on this planet, I can't recall anyone complaining about it.  Everyone else seemed to interpret it as the relief that it was. Is it the using his name in vane thing? Would "thank god" have been different? I'm honestly a little puzzled, and wish I'd thought to ask her, "do you mind telling me why you find that offensive?" but its too late now.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: "Oh my god!" Offensive?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 05:27:55 PM »
Some of my family members who are devout Christians find "oh my god" to be blasphemy they instead say, "Oh my gosh". I asked once how that was different and one said, "Gosh doesn't mean "God" nor is it a representation of "God"." My reply back was, "But you're using it that way." They thought for a second and responded that I was wrong. Just because they're replacing one word for another doesn't mean they're not thinking of the original word nor for that intent.

-Nam
This is my signature "Nam", don't I have nice typing skills?

Offline natlegend

• Reader
  • Darwins +58/-0
  • I shall smite thee, in HIS honor
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 06:29:21 PM »
Saying "Oh my god" means you believe in god. Apparently. Which is why I prefer (and am trying to coin) the phrase "Oh your god".
It's YOUR god, it's YOUR rules, YOU go to hell.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means...

"Noah's ark is a problem. We'll have to call it early quantum state phenomenon, only way to fit 5000 species of mammal in the same boat."
- River Tam

Offline ButterFlavoredPam

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 06:49:52 PM »
Some of my family members who are devout Christians find "oh my god" to be blasphemy they instead say, "Oh my gosh". I asked once how that was different and one said, "Gosh doesn't mean "God" nor is it a representation of "God"." My reply back was, "But you're using it that way." They thought for a second and responded that I was wrong. Just because they're replacing one word for another doesn't mean they're not thinking of the original word nor for that intent.

-Nam

Tell them they need to be careful or they'll burn in heck.  :)
“In dark ages people are best guided by religion, as in a pitch-black night a blind man is the best guide; he knows the roads and paths better than a man who can see. When daylight comes, however, it is foolish to use blind, old men as guides.”
 Heinrich Heine

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 08:48:25 PM »
I find myself using it from time to time, usually to express surprise or relief. It's a minor irritation to my atheist sensibilities. Why some believers find it offensive I don't know; maybe because Biblegod is so precious (despite being all-powerful) that using even the generic term demeans their deity somehow. Or more likely, upsets them by reminding them that not everyone believes exactly as they do.

When I was a Christian, I tried to "clean up" my language by replacing "f*ck, sh*t" and so forth with "hellfire", or just "hell". I guess it sunk in, because now nearly ten years an atheist, I still do it.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 08:55:51 PM »
The one I hear by Christians the most is, "Goddamn" or variants of that. If they have no problem damning their god why get in a hissy over "oh my god"?

-Nam
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 09:29:14 PM by Nam »

Offline mrbiscoop

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +29/-2
  • Faith is not a virtue!
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2014, 08:58:29 PM »
     It's the sign of a small-minded person to complain about that.
     A few of my favorites:
  Jesus H. Fucking Christ
  Oh My God
  God Dammit
     Say them all the time and don't believe in god.
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
              -Emo Philips

Offline RED_ApeTHEIST

• Student
  • Darwins +16/-0
  • Hyperintelligent Orangutan
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2014, 09:34:25 PM »
I'm a big fan of the exclamation; "Christ on a cracker!"

I've also gotten a fair bit of mileage out of the following
"To paraphrase our lord Jesus Christ: Bite me"
The relevant equation is: Knowledge = power = energy = matter = mass; a good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read." - Terry Pratchet

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2014, 10:01:16 PM »
Thanks, guys, you all give me a big smile.  ;D

I find it all quite baffling ... why a greater being would care about such trivial things. I suppose small-minded people make for small-minded gods. Certainly none of my religious friends find it offensive, so I have to assume this person was a fundy or something.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2014, 11:18:25 PM »
Not necessarily a Fundy, just probably what their particular church preaches.

-Nam

Offline Dominic

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +6/-9
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2014, 11:34:15 PM »
Yes it is very likely to be the "name in vain" thing that was the woman's issue when she complained.

As most people are probably aware the 'name in vain' commandment attempts to address disrespecting God's name.  As an analogy you can imagine using your spouse's name whenever something unpleasant, shocking or surprising happens.

And 'Gosh' is a euphemism for 'God'.  It is hardly any different except that the person is making a token effort to avoid breaking the commandment.  An analogy might be to use your spouse's nickname when something goes wrong!

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +204/-4
  • I did haz jeezusburger™
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2014, 11:40:16 PM »
Yes it is very likely to be the "name in vain" thing that was the woman's issue when she complained.

His name isn't God though. It's Y'hova or something. It varies with each purist blog I read.

It should only be for oaths.

The term "GOD" is useful after a very big orgasm. But it not clear whether you are talking about the real God, or the person who did it for you.

I strive for clarity, but aim for confusion.

Offline SpaceTime

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2014, 11:45:41 PM »
Saying "Oh my god" means you believe in god. Apparently. Which is why I prefer (and am trying to coin) the phrase "Oh your god".
I particularly don't see a problem with saying Oh my god and not believing in it. See image: http://i.imgur.com/gyml3AA.jpg

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +685/-3
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2014, 12:09:33 AM »
A few years back, I watched a couple of episodes of Extreme Makeover: Home Edition during the first season, and when people to walked in to their new home, they would say "Oh my god" over and over. Then I missed a couple of seasons, but the next time I did watch one of the shows, everyone said "Oh my gosh!" Censorship at its best.

I don't think I use it, though on those occasions when I manage to hit my thumb hard enough with a hammer I do occasionally say "goddamn" or some variation. Its hard to take the cuss our of the cusser or something. "Goshdarn" just doesn't have the same ring.

But with 7 billion people on the planet, just about anything a person can say will insult or offend someone. And others will be offended by silence. So there is no way around it. But you could have a just done a happy dance, Traveler. Everyone loves a happy dance!   :D

Added: Meant to say welcome to SpaceTime. So welcome!

Not everyone is entitled to their opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2014, 12:52:50 AM »
... But you could have a just done a happy dance, Traveler. Everyone loves a happy dance!   :D

Added: Meant to say welcome to SpaceTime. So welcome!

LOL! I did that too, as well as said "woohoo!" a couple of times. I think it was pretty clear that I was happy ... I tend to be rather expressive. LOL I just find it odd that anyone would object. I'm pretty certain that I didn't used to use that phrase at all, but its become so commonplace that I guess I picked it up. Hey, even Sheldon, on TBBT says it.  ;)

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2014, 01:27:20 AM »
People find me offensive yet then call me an "asshole".

-Nam

Offline skeptic54768

• Reader
  • Darwins +38/-403
  • Christianity is the most beautiful religion.
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2014, 01:38:35 AM »

I find it all quite baffling ... why a greater being would care about such trivial things. I suppose small-minded people make for small-minded gods. Certainly none of my religious friends find it offensive, so I have to assume this person was a fundy or something.

To you, they may be trivial, but how do you know they are trivial to God?

Think of a child. The child hates taking a bath. Child wonders, "why do my parents care so much about trivial things?"

Child can't eat a cookie for dinner. "Why do my parents care so much about trivial things? Why can't I just eat a cookie for dinner?"

Think of it that way and it makes more sense.
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - Jesus (said 2,000 years ago and still true today.)

Offline Dark Rabbit

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2014, 03:53:44 AM »
In my country - which is pretty secular - the OMG thing tends to gravitate towards teenage girls that encounter new gossip, usually about who is going with who. If they come together it's like swarm of bees that just found an extremely rich source of nectar, and the OMGs are all over the place. There is no intended religious connotation though. Some people take offense regarding the emptiness of conversation involved, some people are offended by the religious connotation they themselves project on it, but most people shrug shoulders.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +263/-33
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2014, 04:23:27 AM »
I just say (or try to say) "Oh Me!"
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +120/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2014, 08:05:12 AM »

Instead of saying "Oh my god! Thank you!", get yourself in the habit of saying "Praise, Allah! Peace Be Upon Him!" and see how offended others will be at a adult white woman in the suburbs without a hijab declaring she is a Moslem (apparently). Likely, they will be too confused to be offended. They will likely be speechless.

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline Willie

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +68/-1
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2014, 09:08:14 AM »
The one I hear by Christians the most is, "Goddamn" or variants of that. If they have no problem damning their god why get in a hissy over "oh my god"?

"God damn" is not so much damning God, as telling him what to do.

Offline bertatberts

• Reader
  • Darwins +48/-8
  • Humanists. Not perfect. Not forgiven. Responsible.
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2014, 10:46:56 AM »
I can't remember ever saying "oh my god!" probably because it is an Americanism. However if I did it would simply mean my dad. After all the clue is in the statement, "my" why would they assume I meant theirs.
I wonder whether the woman who was offended, would have been, had you been wearing a Habib.
We theists have no evidence for our beliefs. So no amount of rational evidence will dissuade us from those beliefs. - JCisall

It would be pretty piss poor brainwashing, if the victims knew they were brainwashed, wouldn't it? - Screwtape. 04/12/12

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +124/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2014, 11:21:31 AM »
My mom used to chastise me if she caught me saying "goddammit."  How would you like it if everybody ran around saying "loridammit" she used to say...
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2014, 11:35:00 AM »
LORIDAMNIT!

Um.....what?

-Nam

Online rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +37/-2
  • Did your parents raise you to be an idiot?
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2014, 07:22:53 AM »

-Nam
A minister I know would jump on a person if he heard them saying gosh or jeez.  To him gosh and jeez represented God and Jesus and saying those words, while to him were not blasphemy, were a way of using the Lord's name in vain.  We could say "oh man" though, he was cool with that.
Here read a book.  It's free.
http://www.literatureproject.com/

Could a being create the fifty billion galaxies, each with two hundred billion stars, then rejoice in the smell of burning goat flesh?   Ron Patterson

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +120/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2014, 07:56:59 AM »
A minister I know would jump on a person if he heard them saying gosh or jeez.  To him gosh and jeez represented God and Jesus and saying those words, while to him were not blasphemy, were a way of using the Lord's name in vain.  We could say "oh man" though, he was cool with that.

People who think that they are being polite and observant Christians will do this all the time. In place of "Jesus Christ!" I have heard "geez!" or "geezupete!" or "geezupeeze!", and in place of "Well, I swear!" I have heard "I declare!" or "I swan!" ...

It's completely idiotic. Whichever word you choose, it just represents what you are thinking. If you are thinking negatively, doesn't God know that?  If you "shall not take the name of the lord your god in vain", then what good is a lord who says it's okay to be mad, angry or even hateful, but just don't include my name when you do it ....  keeping up appearances? A hollow god?

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline natlegend

• Reader
  • Darwins +58/-0
  • I shall smite thee, in HIS honor
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2014, 10:25:06 PM »
I've done quite well and taught myself to say "Jiminy Cricket!" instead of Jesus Christ. I haven't been sued by Disney. Yet.
It's YOUR god, it's YOUR rules, YOU go to hell.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means...

"Noah's ark is a problem. We'll have to call it early quantum state phenomenon, only way to fit 5000 species of mammal in the same boat."
- River Tam

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-80
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2014, 06:21:18 AM »
I don't think it's offensive.  Should've told that woman it's a free country. 
Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man.
Thomas Paine

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/t/thomas_paine.html#XXwlhVIMq06zWg2d.99

Offline stuffin

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2014, 07:43:21 AM »
Oh My God?

How could she be offended?

You were talking about your god, not hers!
I'd cut him if he stands, and I'd shoot him if he'd run
 Yes I'd kill him with my Bible and my razor and my gun

Poverty is the parent of revolution and crime.
Aristotle