Author Topic: Congratulations, you just elected a moron  (Read 896 times)

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +677/-28
  • Karma mooch
Re: Congratulations, you just elected a moron
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2014, 09:00:45 AM »
That is the point Pierce makes.  His statement is... whaddaycallit... ironical.  Of course, it is about race.  But they[1] always say it isn't about race.  It is never about race, to them. 

I am willing to be charitable enough to acknowledge that in some cases they are honest and are just not smart or observant or introspective enough to notice their own bias.  I've known many people who harbored racial biases and did not realize it.  But I would not call them racist, exactly, because I feel that is a powerful word with a lot of baggage that does not necessarily apply.  Prejudiced?  Sure.  Stupid?  Sure.  But they didn't hate anyone nor were they raving klansmen.  Just completely not self-aware.  Ignorant of their own motives and biases.  So to them, it is never about race.
 1. The people who are are being racist.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +892/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2014, 03:20:37 PM »
There are those tests online where you can see if you have bias against different groups that you are not aware of. Turns out that most of us do have some unfounded biases, based on stereotypes, etc. Encountering people of different races activates emotional parts of the brain. It is not always conscious behavior.

I wonder if the "it's not about race" people would ever consider taking tests that would show that, yes, it is about race. And gender, and gayness and foreign-ness or whatever. https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/selectatest.html
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2014, 03:46:37 PM »
Race test: "There were too many errors made to determine a result."

;)

It's hard on a phone. It bunched up the lettering where they crossed each other.

I think those tests are racist.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2014, 03:51:59 PM »
The faster you go on one race that's the race you're racist against but the thing is is some of the "white" photos (at least on my phone) were darker than others, and some of those "Europeans" looked "Asian", perhaps they were Spanish, I couldn't tell. Also, some of the weapons were drawn idiotically, and some of the safe items, as well. Hell, I didn't know what one of them was.

Perhaps it all looks clearer on a desktop but all I know is that when I grew up white people gave me the most grief; black people were actually there for me so how I could be racist against them is ridiculous.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +79/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2014, 07:52:58 PM »
There are those tests online where you can see if you have bias against different groups that you are not aware of. Turns out that most of us do have some unfounded biases, based on stereotypes, etc. Encountering people of different races activates emotional parts of the brain. It is not always conscious behavior.

Interesting; thanks for the link, nogods.

Result of racial preference test: moderate preference for light-skinned people.

Not surprising. Growing up, I had a mild dislike / fear of people with skin noticeably darker than mine (moderately tanned caucasian). I can't think of any particular sources for that attitude except one unfortunate incident. Fortunately time and experience have largely erased it.

Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +892/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2014, 03:04:47 PM »
My computer keeps freezing up when I try to do the tests..... :(
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2014, 07:36:45 PM »
My computer keeps freezing up when I try to do the tests..... :(

It'll most likely tell you you are racist against white people. I took it again, this time going slower on the recognizable pictures and faster on the unrecognizable[1] and it told me I was more racist against white people than black people.

As I said: the faster you go the more racist you are. I figured that out the second time taking it (since the first time was "too many errors").

I've taken better tests by people at OKCupid.

-Nam
 1. since they're the same not to difficult to memorize