Author Topic: Congratulations, you just elected a moron  (Read 1017 times)

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +265/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
Congratulations, you just elected a moron
« on: March 20, 2014, 06:14:08 PM »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/19/susanne-atanus-congress-_n_4993555.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

A Republican candidate who believes that God dictates weather patterns and that tornadoes, autism and dementia are God's punishments for marriage equality and abortion access won the GOP nomination to challenge Rep. Jan Schakowsky (D-Ill.) in the Chicago-area 9th Congressional District.

Susanne Atanus, of Niles, Ill., garnered 54 percent of the vote in her Tuesday win over David Earl Williams III.

"I am not in favor of abortions, I am not in favor of gay rights," Atanus told the Daily Herald, a suburban Chicago newspaper, in January.

She blamed natural disasters and mental disorders on recent advances in LGBT equality and legal abortions.

"God is angry. We are provoking him with abortions and same-sex marriage and civil unions," she said. "Same-sex activity is going to increase AIDS. If it's in our military, it will weaken our military. We need to respect God."

Atanus also reached out to the Windy City Times, an LGBT publication, in an attempt to explain her views.

"Everybody knows that God controls weather," she told the news site in January. "God is super angry," she added. "Gay marriage is not appropriate, and it doesn't look right, and it breeds AIDS."

Jack Dorgan, chairman of the Illinois Republican Party, and Adam Robinson, chairman of the Chicago Republican Party, both condemned Atanus' comments and distanced the party from her candidacy.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +333/-85
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Congratulations, you just elected a moron
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 06:41:43 PM »
Nuts everywhere.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +789/-6
  • If you are religious, you are misconcepted
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 07:44:38 PM »
I assume she misspells her name on purpose. Originally the second letter was an 'n'.

I am somewhat curious. Yes, some of the country had weird weather this year, caused, I assume, by all the gays. But we have gays here in Montana and our winter was normal. We aren't suffering a drought, we didn't have ten thousand cars stuck on icy freeways, the wind didn't blow us away, our pipes didn't freeze, our rivers didn't flood.

So our gays are feeling left out. They're really down about this. What good is it being gay if the weather doesn't get all f**ked up? Many of them are discouraged and thinking about changing allegiance to other sexes.

Ms. Ananus needs to get in touch with her god and have him step up his game. Otherwise my whole state will be bored to death. We too want to suffer interminably because of the sexual orientation of a few of our cowboys!

And cowgirls.

And cows.
Jesus, the cracker flavored treat!

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +703/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 07:55:46 PM »
I saw that.  I also saw an interview with her.  She may be clinically insane.  She was talking about getting rid of the Dow jones, and the s&p.  I agree we should jail and skin more than a few bankers, but getting rid of the stock exchange is nuts.  I cannot imagine anyone actually voting for her.  But it happened.  I just don't get it.  Even if I were a conservative.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +130/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 08:34:58 PM »
"Everybody knows that God controls weather," she told the news site in January. "God is super angry," she added. "Gay marriage is not appropriate, and it doesn't look right, and it breeds AIDS."

Maybe she's auditioning for the straight guy/gal at Second City.
John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 09:10:45 PM »
I'm speechless with horror. This is almost as discouraging as people thinking that Sarah Palin was a worthy VP candidate. Have people always been this stupid or am I just noticing it more as I get older?   :o
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +78/-23
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2014, 09:18:21 PM »
So....climate change has nothing to do with our pollution of the earth's environment but depends on how much dignity and respect "straight Christian folk"  give to homo's?

I guess if we kill all the fags god will be pleased and the weather will be perfect for the rest of "humanity".

Oh...by the way Fred Phelps just died. I would love to see about 500,000 people picket his funeral.

Just sayin.

I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +333/-85
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2014, 09:22:46 PM »
I'm speechless with horror. This is almost as discouraging as people thinking that Sarah Palin was a worthy VP candidate. Have people always been this stupid or am I just noticing it more as I get older?   :o

In the mouth of a Republican: any Republican is better than those fascist liberals.

That's how most of them think. They don't get that they're the nutjobs. Like an insane person not knowing they're insane. And the actual sane Republicans can't do anything because the Nutjob outnumber them.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +333/-85
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2014, 09:24:29 PM »
So....climate change has nothing to do with our pollution of the earth's environment but depends on how much dignity and respect "straight Christian folk"  give to homo's?

I guess if we kill all the fags god will be pleased and the weather will be perfect for the rest of "humanity".

Oh...by the way Fred Phelps just died. I would love to see about 500,000 people picket his funeral.

Just sayin.

I heard the entire US Military will picket them[1].

-Nam
 1. kidding but that'd be funny

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +78/-23
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2014, 10:17:28 PM »
Naaah

That would be justice.
I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +925/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2014, 03:32:13 PM »
Republicans are distancing themselves from her? That will be the election where conservatives will stay home. I hope.
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +333/-85
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2014, 04:36:03 PM »
Republicans are distancing themselves from her? That will be the election where conservatives will stay home. I hope.

Distancing in public, not private. They'll still vote for her. There's a movie called The Farmer's Daughter (1947) that I feel sums up the reasoning pretty well.

Should check it out some time.

-Nam

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +925/-6
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2014, 02:12:02 PM »
Here's a quote from the imdb page for that movie:

Glenn Morley: She doesn't know anything about politics. How can she, I ask you, be expected to give of such things as the minimum wage bill, the full employment bill, the Missouri Valley, the Columbia Valley authorities amendments, the permanent MBPC, atomic bomb control, poll tax, national... , well a hundred other things.
Katrin Holstrom: Can you?
Glenn Morley: That's beside the point. I am already a congressman.

Pretty much sums up the modern conservative attitude about politics. You don't have to really know anything, because ideology and prayer are enough. Who cares about whether a public policy actually works? If it sounds good, that's enough.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +333/-85
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2014, 02:49:14 PM »
There's another scene (been awhile since I've seen it) where this old woman, I believe, states that though she likes, admires, and would love to see the "daughter" become a Congresswoman she won't vote for her,, advocate others to vote for her, and do everything she can to see she doesn't get elected because she's not in the same party.

Republicans today (perhaps to a point: always) are loyalists; whether they agree with the other side or not, it doesn't matter they'll vote only for their side, and they are seen or deemed traitors or not really True™ Republicans if they don't.

It really is a great movie and is quite relevant in politics today even though it was made over 60 years ago.

-Nam

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +542/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2014, 04:28:34 PM »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/19/susanne-atanus-congress-_n_4993555.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

A Republican candidate who believes that God dictates weather patterns and that tornadoes, autism and dementia are God's punishments for marriage equality and abortion access won the GOP nomination to challenge Rep. Jan Schakowsky (D-Ill.) in the Chicago-area 9th Congressional District.
It is the law: H.L. Mencken said it best. "People deserve the government they get, and they deserve to get it good and hard."

There are many people in this world who refuse to think until they are forced to: this is Nature's way of telling them not to be stupid twice.

Anyway, what are you complaining about? The more whacko, the less likely they are to be elected. I would have gone for the candidate who heard regular messages from God.
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +333/-85
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2014, 05:03:18 PM »
"The more whacko, the less likely they are to be elected." -- depends on where you live. Look at Ted Cruz, he was elected, Michelle Bachman elected numerous times, and countless other whackos.

-Nam

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +925/-6
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2014, 08:06:40 PM »
Yeah we thought that with George Bush. A C- Yale brat,  alcoholic, frat boy cheerleader,  who skipped out on his military service and used cocaine. Reportedly never read a book and was bored by international travel. Failed at every business his family set him up in. Add in a wife who killed her boyfriend and you have a sure fire election loser, right? Not if you have enough money behind you,  an ignorant electorate, a complacent media and the right PR.

I am old enough to remember when the idea of Ronald Reagan becoming president of the US was a punch line on the Dick Van Dyke show. And got a big laugh.[1]

Another fantastic old film about politics is "A Face in the Crowd".  This movie has an amazingly chilling pre-Mayberry performance by Andy Griffith as the manipulative character who uses an "aw shucks" folksy Reagan-esque public persona to disguise his snarling, cynical, amoral nature. Truly scary. Not to be missed.
 1. Yet another reason to disbelieve in psychics. The truly strange stuff that happens is never predicted by any of them.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +703/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2014, 10:00:58 AM »
Republicans today (perhaps to a point: always) are loyalists; whether they agree with the other side or not, it doesn't matter they'll vote only for their side, and they are seen or deemed traitors or not really True™ Republicans if they don't.

To be fair, pretty much everyone is a loyalist.  It is how our brains are wired.  There is evidence though, that conservatives tend to be more so (see my posts on morality and Jonathan Haidt).  They see loyalty and respect for authority to be extremely important moral values, while those on the liberal side of the political spectrum place little to no importance on those values at all.  In many cases liberals do not even see respect for authority as a moral issue.

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +56/-0
  • IXNAY
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2014, 01:17:22 PM »
"Bad polititians are elected by good people who don't vote."

I don't recall who that's attributed to.
There is no opinion so absurd that a preacher could not express it.
-- Bernie Katz

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +703/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2014, 02:12:12 PM »
^ I dunno, but I disagree.  Bad leaders are elected by stupid idiots, which outnumber good people at any given moment by about 10 to 1.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline SevenPatch

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +108/-4
  • A source will help me understand.
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2014, 03:04:45 PM »
Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers.

Saw that on a T-shirt once.  8)
"Shut him up! We have a lot invested in this ride - SHUT HIM UP! Look at my furrows of worry! Look at my big bank account, and my family! This just HAS to be real!" - Bill Hicks

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +265/-7
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2014, 07:32:48 AM »
^ I dunno, but I disagree.  Bad leaders are elected by stupid idiots, which outnumber good people at any given moment by about 10 to 1.

And Bad leaders make sure to cut education, ensuring the survival of their breed.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +130/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2014, 07:42:21 AM »
And Bad leaders make sure to cut education, ensuring the survival of their breed.

Or just cut voting hours so the people least likely to vote for you have the least likely chance to vote.

"Son, it's not whether you win or lose, it's how you play the game."

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +925/-6
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2014, 01:37:15 PM »
And make sure voting is as bureaucratic, cumbersome and complicated as possible. Put only a few voting booths in your challenger's districts. Make them wait all day if they want to vote.

When all else fails, make sure your friends are in charge of counting the votes that do get cast. Oh, no! The machine changed your vote as you watched? Too bad, the software is proprietary. Oops! The other guy is getting too many votes?  Time to stop counting. :P

Used to be that stuff only happened in third world dictatorships.....and Chicago. I used to serve as a poll watcher and election judge. After a while the constantly changing slimy tactics wear you out.  :(

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +333/-85
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2014, 03:20:28 PM »
I thought they only did that in the oppositions districts, not their own. However, I did see once, I think it was in NC where they made it next to impossible for students at a black college to vote but made it simple for a mostly white college in the same area. The governor said it wasn't racist because white voters were effected to.

-Nam

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +925/-6
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2014, 08:10:43 PM »
IIRC there were states where college ID's were not considered valid for voting, but gun licenses were. I am sure there was a logical rationale, because at election time many college students are not in the district where they have legal residency. But the outcome of that policy is likely to suppress the young, educated and presumably liberal vote and inflate the votes of older, presumably more conservative gun owners.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +265/-7
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2014, 07:11:23 AM »
IIRC there were states where college ID's were not considered valid for voting, but gun licenses were. I am sure there was a logical rationale, because at election time many college students are not in the district where they have legal residency. But the outcome of that policy is likely to suppress the young, educated and presumably liberal vote and inflate the votes of older, presumably more conservative gun owners.

replace the term "outcome" with "intent"

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +703/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2014, 07:49:29 AM »
I thought they only did that in the oppositions districts, not their own. However, I did see once, I think it was in NC where they made it next to impossible for students at a black college to vote but made it simple for a mostly white college in the same area. The governor said it wasn't racist because white voters were effected to.

-Nam

As Charles Pierce says, it's not about race because it's never about race.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +925/-6
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2014, 07:25:50 PM »

-Nam

As Charles Pierce says, it's not about race because it's never about race.

So, why does it so often look like it's about race? Inquiring minds want to know.... :angel: