Author Topic: Hello!  (Read 850 times)

Offline writerchick

• Freshman
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • WWGHA Member
Hello!
« on: March 20, 2014, 11:50:39 AM »
I just wanted to say hello to everyone and give you a little info about me.

I found this site searching for reasons why God doesn't exist. I read the 50 reasons on the God is Imaginary site and headed over here to check out some discussions. I'm a recovering Christian, you could say. I grew up semi-religious, my maternal grandmother was very religious (Baptist) and shaped my earlier years. My older self, I've kinda stumbled around looking for something. I'm so liberal that I can't understand most Christian churches. I tried being an Episcopalian because they seemed more liberal. But the old farts in the congregation ended up running the young liberal priest out of the parish.

What got me in the god is imaginary way of thinking was looking at prayer. Was is working or not? And seeing that prayers were not and blessings were not coming as they seemed to with every Christian I had met. This made me thing about it a lot. Why some and not others?

When I was practicing my biggest prayer was to meet a nice man and get married. But day after day, month after month, year after year, it never happened. I'd ask other Christians, why would god deny me love when he's about love? I'd get the standard, its not time, it's not his will, he needs you single, etc. Then they would turn around and praise the lord for not having to go through being single and trying to find a mate in this time. Gee, thanks.

Someone I sorta know, who is a raving conservative Christian, was ranting on Facebook about same sex marriage rights. So I asked him, why deny someone love? Of course, he's not denying love, he says it about morality. So I ask, why would god not answer the prayers of a straight woman who wants what you define as "biblical marriage" but these supposed sinners find companions. His answer was: sin is easy. I asked him to explain and he told me I was being righteous and devout to pray for a spouse, not out doing debauchery and waiting for god's will. So ask him, why is god making me wait so long? Oh, I don't know the mind of god, he says. The ever popular way out. >:(

Anyway, after years of never getting this prayer (or any other) answered one night I was so desperate to understand it I called a prayer line. I got a Methodist minster and he basically told me that finding a spouse equated to winning the lottery. I told him I'm screwed because I don't have that type of luck. The he says, it isn't about luck. It was about patience and virtue and some other crap. I was more confused than when I started out.

Later I was in the public library I saw an audiobook The God Delusion. I had to get it. For the first time I saw a lot of the questions I had wanted answers to explained. I'm re-reading it now (not listening to the audiobook). I'd like to read some of the other books Dawkins references too. It makes more sense than most of the answers I've gotten from Christians.

So that's me. Sorry it's long but as my username says, I'm a writer and I tend to get wordy! lol

Offline Boots

• Reader
  • Darwins +96/-0
  • Living the Dream
Re: Hello!
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 12:14:57 PM »
Welcome WC.  Nice to have another recovering xian on board.  I'm a fully recovered one myself.

If your rabid xian friend claims to not know the mind of his god when he gets a hard question, how come he argues for what he thinks his god wants on Facebook?  I truly despise the sanctimonious double-faced nature of the "gay=immoral" crap that is being spewed daily.  It makes my stomach sick.

anyway, if I may offer something...I had the incredible good fortune to meet my wife in college.  When we first met, we had zero interest in each other, but her roomate was a HS friend of mine and kept shoving us together.  We became friends, then eventually fell in love.  That is what I recommend: don't *look* for a spouse.  just grow friendships.  That, in my experience, is the healthiest way to start a lifelong relationship.
* Religion: institutionalized superstition, period.

"Many of my ultra-conservative Republican friends...have trouble accepting the idea God is not a Republican. " ~OldChurchGuy

"We humans may never figure out the truth, but I prefer trying to find it over pretending we know it."  ~ParkingPlaces

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +678/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 12:16:36 PM »
hey, welcome!  Glad you could join us.

Oh, I don't know the mind of god, he says. The ever popular way out.

It is called Playing the Mystery Card.  When they play that one, just proclaim, "I win."
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +771/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 12:36:23 PM »
Welcome writerchick.

Don't apologize about creating walls of text. Especially if you are an adept writer. Because I am not such a person, I sort have to stop now, because this is about of my limit.  :)
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline SevenPatch

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +108/-4
  • A source will help me understand.
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 01:57:40 PM »
Welcome writerchick,

Regarding your interaction with a Christian friend on Facebook, I think that is one of the prime examples of the ugly head of believing in “God”.  The one thing I clearly remember thinking throughout my days as a Christian was “how can all of these Christians around me or in this country and abroad think they have any clue what God wants, thinks or expects”.  Supposedly the Bible has the answers but I’ve read most of the Bible (entire OT and most of the NT) and it is entirely vague, making the Bible capable of providing completely different answers depending only one what an individual person wants to hear.  After having read most of the Bible as a teenager I knew it was just an advertising tool meant to reach as broad an audience as it could, telling everyone exactly what they wanted to hear no matter what it was.

What kind of god operates this way, telling people what they want to hear instead of simply telling people what the truth is.  It was clear that the Bible, Christianity and even religion didn’t care about truth, and was even at odds with truth.  I went through my 20’s thinking that all Christians were “doing it wrong”, but it wasn’t until last year that I read about SPAG[1] and realized I was doing exactly what every other spiritual or religions person was doing.  I was projecting myself as “God”.  It wasn’t that I had a good idea about what “God”  really wanted or that I knew what “God” really expected, no instead I was simply evaluating situations based on my knowledge and experience and expecting that “God” would also know what I know and react the way I would.   

SPAG is evident when one comes to realize that they can’t think of anything they disagree with “God” about.  I see this in the person you interact with on Facebook, it isn’t “God” that disapproves of gay marriage, it is the person posting on Facebook who disapproves of gay marriage (for whatever reason, perhaps fear or discomfort with homosexuality).  I’ve never heard a person say, “well I support gay marriage rights but “God” is against it so oh well, no marriage for gay people, sorry”.

Someone asked this question on these forums once, and I really think it is a great question to ask any theist, “Is there anything you disagree with God about”?  Sometimes you might get a meaningful answer, but most of the time the theist is stumped and has no clue why.  Although this question may have undesired consequences as it may simply reaffirm to the theist that they are indeed “choosen” by “God”, and lead them further down the rabbit hole.
 1. Self Projection As God
"Shut him up! We have a lot invested in this ride - SHUT HIM UP! Look at my furrows of worry! Look at my big bank account, and my family! This just HAS to be real!" - Bill Hicks

Online nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +896/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 03:30:22 PM »
Hello writerchick, resident black atheist dreadlocked commie mommy here. I grew up in a strict fundamentalist Jehovah's Witness family in the urban ghetto. I am now the liberal college professor I was warned to stay away from. So nice to have another female on this dude-heavy board. Good, insightful, funny walls of text are always welcome.

You don't mention your age, but I didn't meet my husband until I was 30. He is white, 6 years younger than me, grew up hunting moose in the north woods, and is a churchgoing Christian. We have so little in common (superficially) that we would never have gotten together if we had been looking on one of those "matchmaker" websites. We have been together 22 years and will celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary (with our teen daughter and two shelter doggies) this year.  :-*

So, remember that life is long, the world is big, people are out there, and god has nothing to do with any of it.  ;) 8)
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2014, 04:14:45 PM »
Um...

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Online nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +896/-6
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2014, 04:35:25 PM »

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2014, 04:39:16 PM »
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +285/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2014, 04:39:57 PM »
Welcome to the forum. I am a bisexual gnostic atheist, as well as one of three (AFAIK) resident gods on the forum. The other two are Astreja and Odin (although I don't recall seeing Odin for a long time).
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Online nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +896/-6
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2014, 04:45:36 PM »
Um...

-Nam

Are you single?

Not according to my right hand. :P

-Nam

I had you pegged for a lefty. Who knew?

Online nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +896/-6
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2014, 04:46:38 PM »
Welcome to the forum. I am a bisexual gnostic atheist, as well as one of three (AFAIK) resident gods on the forum. The other two are Astreja and Odin (although I don't recall seeing Odin for a long time).

Does that qualify as TMI? I mean, who cares if you are a god. Hmph.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +285/-37
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2014, 04:51:27 PM »
Does that qualify as TMI? I mean, who cares if you are a god. Hmph.

It's a test of sorts. I want to gauge our newcomer's reaction.
EDIT: I'm also a writer. I'm currently working on my first book.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 04:54:00 PM by One Above All »
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

Offline writerchick

• Freshman
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2014, 06:07:23 PM »
Thanks everyone for the replies. I really want to connect with some liked minded folks, this seems like a good place. I have a friend who runs a non-believers group but it seems I'm always working on the days of the meetings.

I live in WV, so you can imagine it's major bible belt territory. I've become a stranger in my own land.

Also appreciate the comments on finding a significant other. I'm basically resigned that I'm not going to find someone. I'm 40 never had many men interested in me to being with. Now I'm much older there are even less. So I've given up. I had some really bad experiences online dating... don't want to go overboard with the details... but it pretty much sealed the deal for me about many things. I hate being alone and doing things myself, but that's all I got. Well, my adorable corgi-mix, I have him.

One Above All, what kind of book are you writing? I'm working on a project, waiting to hear about a grant, so I can have some money to do research and travel for it. 

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2014, 06:28:38 PM »
Um...

-Nam

Online wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +79/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2014, 08:02:29 PM »
Welcome, WV. I look forward to seeing you around the forum.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +285/-37
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2014, 08:21:37 PM »
One Above All, what kind of book are you writing? I'm working on a project, waiting to hear about a grant, so I can have some money to do research and travel for it. 

I have no idea what to call it. An old Internet friend of mine tried to define it, but I honestly don't know nor care about what to call it. Suffice it to say it's an action/adventure-type story.
We choose our own gods.

Offline RED_ApeTHEIST

• Student
  • Darwins +16/-0
  • Hyperintelligent Orangutan
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2014, 10:57:10 PM »
Welcome Writerchick!

You seem like a well spoken and erudite individual. I for one am looking forward to hearing more from you.

So, The God Delusion was a milestone for you? I know it was a big deal for me the first time I read it. If you liked that I can recommend  God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything by Christopher Hitchens. Dawkins does a good job of showing how belief in a god is incorrect, and Hitchens does a beautiful job of showing why a belief in god is dangerous, both the the belivers and to bystanders.
The relevant equation is: Knowledge = power = energy = matter = mass; a good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read." - Terry Pratchet

Offline Boots

• Reader
  • Darwins +96/-0
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2014, 08:57:23 AM »
Welcome Writerchick!

You seem like a well spoken and erudite individual. I for one am looking forward to hearing more from you.

So, The God Delusion was a milestone for you? I know it was a big deal for me the first time I read it. If you liked that I can recommend  God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything by Christopher Hitchens. Dawkins does a good job of showing how belief in a god is incorrect, and Hitchens does a beautiful job of showing why a belief in god is dangerous, both the the belivers and to bystanders.

I second the recommendation of ginG.  Just be prepared for what I believe to be (at times) slightly unnecessary vitriol--that turned me off a bit, despite the really good arguments/points.
* Religion: institutionalized superstition, period.

"Many of my ultra-conservative Republican friends...have trouble accepting the idea God is not a Republican. " ~OldChurchGuy

"We humans may never figure out the truth, but I prefer trying to find it over pretending we know it."  ~ParkingPlaces

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +376/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2014, 08:59:54 AM »
Not according to my right hand. :P

"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2014, 11:21:53 AM »
Yep.

-Nam

Offline writerchick

• Freshman
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2014, 08:10:04 PM »

I have no idea what to call it. An old Internet friend of mine tried to define it, but I honestly don't know nor care about what to call it. Suffice it to say it's an action/adventure-type story.
Sounds like it will be interesting. My stuff is non-fiction, history mostly. Or, at least, what I'm working on at the moment.

Welcome Writerchick!

Yes The God Delusion was a real big turning point for me. I went through the chapters making notes, especially on the questions, contradictions, misogyny, and improbable things that had always bothered me and that I couldn't reconcile to be a true believer. The part when Dawkins talks about belief in god being like being in love really hit home with me because I know so many people who act just like that. In fact, many of those people told me I had to love god and Jesus first before I could even think of having an earthly partner.
I plan to read some of Hitchens' books, I was interested his work a few years ago but I just never read anything. I've watched several interviews with him, many around the time he was dying. So he's definitely on my to read list.

Offline Wasserbuffel

• Student
  • Darwins +19/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2014, 01:52:49 PM »
Welcome to the board!  I'm new-ish here, but a long-time atheist.

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +534/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2014, 02:28:28 PM »
Late as usual, but welcome to WWGHA.

1. I have seen your avatar and my advice when looking for a suitable man, is "Check who his father is."

2. On the subject of prayer, you are asking a deity to change His Mighty and Infallible Universal Plan for you: don't bother. As the milk-jug experiment shows, praying to anyone or anything has the same effect. On the whole, people who fall of cliffs and pray have the same survival rate as those who fall off cliffs and don't pray.
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline Betelnut

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +13/-3
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2014, 11:43:07 AM »
Welcome WriterChick:

I found The History of God by Karen Armstrong to be a really great book also.  It isn't about "atheism" or lack of faith--just a history of the development of Judaism, Christianity and Islam.  Very interesting.  You will see how all these monotheistic faiths are related to each other and their development over time.

Offline YRM_DM

• Graduate
  • Darwins +77/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2014, 01:41:30 PM »
Your story is a little bit like mine.

As far as praying to meet a partner, I did that, but met one who was bad for me, but didn't get out because I thought she came from God's plan for me.   (lol, long story)

Prayer + Dating Sites + Going on multiple dates + building relationship skills + putting on your best face when you meet someone + luck = Meeting someone special.

The thing you can take totally out of that equation is prayer, and you'll have exactly the same success meeting someone.   (more probably, as you won't make decisions based on superstitions)

Sorry for the late welcome but I could relate to your post and just found this "intros" area.
You can't spell BELIEVE without LIE...  and a few other letters.  B and E and V and I think E.