Author Topic: Bible Study at Local School!  (Read 190 times)

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-83
  • "Question Everything"
Bible Study at Local School!
« on: March 14, 2014, 02:15:01 PM »
Isn't there somewhere I can report this to.  I could not believe my ears.  You know what gets me is I know the mother.  She is TR's sister-in-law.  They are my nieces.  I thought she had more sense than that.

TR and I are sort of at odds about talking to their mother and what they have said about our relationship.  They are old enough to know now I think before our small narrow minded hillbilly community teaches them to hate; 10 and 12. 

Great thing about Asheville is it's diversity.  We are often called the eastern San Francisco!  There is a large gay community here.  That is in the city though.  We live in the county and it's hillbilly galore out here. 

I would appreciate any advice you can give.

Thanks
Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man.
Thomas Paine

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/t/thomas_paine.html#XXwlhVIMq06zWg2d.99

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +663/-28
  • Karma mooch
Re: Bible Study at Local School!
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 02:40:18 PM »
What specifically are you asking about?  You don't have enough information.  I gather there is some kind of bible study at a public school, but you are lacking in details.  When is this going on?  Is it part of the cirriculum?  What mother are you talking about?

Was this post split from another thread?  It seems as if it is taken out of mid-conversation.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline SevenPatch

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +108/-4
  • A source will help me understand.
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 03:15:53 PM »
Is this a during school hours thing or after school thing? 

I don't know if after school thing is necessarily wrong, as it in theory would be optional.  It also really depends on what exactly is being studied, if the intent is really just to study literature then I'm okay with it.  If the kids are being encouraged to shout praises to the "good Lord" then I would certainly be against that.

I would also say other religious texts and general literature should be involved.

It's really tough to walk the line though between reasonable and unacceptable once religion gets near a school.

Probably safer to just have a 100 foot restraining order.

As far as reporting this, I don't think there is a 1-800 number.  You have a number of options, you can express your concerns with the people involved (hopefully in a way they will understand and won't actively resist you).  Another route might be to discuss your concerns with the school officials, and then work your way up the ladder from them. 

Beyond that, is to file a civil suit or injunction (something like that) with the local magistrate or a judge.  You'll probably need evidence for that.  Evidence might include if there was a pamphlet or flier handed out by the person(s) running the Bible Study or testing material that might be handed out.  Of course the evidence would have to be clearly linked to the Bible Study.  I'm not sure if pictures or video would be acceptable as evidence and that might be taking things kind of far and if you've already expressed your concerns, saying "hey can I take some pictures" might not work hehe.

Another option might be to write or call your local representative, either city, state or federal, again it depends on how concerned you are.

Thinking about this more, this seems odd.  This country has churches for a reason, if you want to study the Bible, go to church.  Why does studying the Bible need to be done at a public school?  Did the local church burn down?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 03:18:59 PM by SevenPatch »
"Shut him up! We have a lot invested in this ride - SHUT HIM UP! Look at my furrows of worry! Look at my big bank account, and my family! This just HAS to be real!" - Bill Hicks

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-83
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2014, 04:48:40 AM »
What specifically are you asking about?  You don't have enough information.  I gather there is some kind of bible study at a public school, but you are lacking in details.  When is this going on?  Is it part of the cirriculum?  What mother are you talking about?

Was this post split from another thread?  It seems as if it is taken out of mid-conversation.

How much more info do you need.  SevenPatch got it.

That's basically all I know.  My niece told me at the birthday dinner the other night. 

It is optional and is conducted after school.  That is all I know.
Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man.
Thomas Paine

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/t/thomas_paine.html#XXwlhVIMq06zWg2d.99

Online Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +50/-0
  • IXNAY
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 09:03:03 AM »
If it's after school, voluntary, and not part of the school curriculum, there's likely nothing wrong with it.  The school is simply letting a group use the public facility for a legal activity. 
There is no opinion so absurd that a preacher could not express it.
-- Bernie Katz