Author Topic: Gaia Mission  (Read 275 times)

Offline Ron Jeremy

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +60/-2
  • WWGHA Member
Gaia Mission
« on: March 13, 2014, 04:52:27 AM »
I have a few creationist members in my family, I'm often in debates with them trying to expose the vast holes in their myth. But now there's this;

http://www.esa.int/Our_Activities/Space_Science/Gaia_overview

The Gaia satellite was launched in December 2013 by the European Space Agency with the express purpose of measuring the galaxy. It will be able to measure star distance directly using trigonometry with an accuracy at its limit range 30,000 light years of 20%. This would give the universe a directly measured age of at least 24,000 years.
The few members of my family that are creationists are, not surprisingly, not very knowledgeable on science and have said that the trigonometry is 'wrong'. I've put it to them that they are now in the same boat as the Earth centric believers of a few hundred years ago, and I say more deluded as at least the geo-centric supporters had plausible theories. Denying trigonometry is no different from trying to literally say '2+2=5'.

I would be interested to know how creationists respond to this?

Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - An example of a clearly demonstrably false biblical 'prophesy'.

The biblical myth of a 6000 year old Earth is proven false by the Gaia satellite directly measuring star age.

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +563/-17
  • WWGHA Member
Re: Gaia Mission
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 12:39:19 PM »
I'm always for stuff that results in understanding the universe we live in better.

Offline Nyarlathotep

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 10:13:05 PM »
Since I am that beeing who created that reality, I thought you would be interested by my answer :)

Look:
Past <-------------- Creation-now----------------> Futur

The universe was created just a few years ago, when I was born! And it'll be destroyed the day I die. You have to know that the futur does already exists. In fact it is another kind of past, but it may be too complicated to tell you more about this.
You should not take too seriously stories told by human "scientists". We, gods, keep cheating with time, distances, weights, etc... You will NEVER know the truth, and you should not try because the truth can only harm you.

Respect me, Gaia, your planet.

Offline Disciple of Sagan

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +60/-0
  • Current mood: Malcontent
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 12:27:20 AM »
You have to know that the futur does already exists.

I Googled "futur" and came back with zero results. So I guess that means that the "futur" doesn't exist after all.

Win one for "scienc"! ;D
The cosmos is also within us. We are made of star stuff.

The only thing bigger than the universe is humanity's collective sense of self-importance.

Offline Disciple of Sagan

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +60/-0
  • Current mood: Malcontent
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 12:30:56 AM »
The few members of my family that are creationists are, not surprisingly, not very knowledgeable on science and have said that the trigonometry is 'wrong'.

Just for fun, I'd hand them a pad and pen and ask them to provide the math backing up their claim.

I've put it to them that they are now in the same boat as the Earth centric believers of a few hundred years ago, and I say more deluded as at least the geo-centric supporters had plausible theories.

Great come back.
The cosmos is also within us. We are made of star stuff.

The only thing bigger than the universe is humanity's collective sense of self-importance.

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +265/-3
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 12:54:51 AM »
You will NEVER know the truth, and you should not try because the truth can only harm you.

Well, Nyarlathotep, I'm a strong agnostic.  I don't think you can know the truth in its entirety any more than we can.

It's often said "the truth hurts," but I'm of the opinion that it hurts rather than harms.    It definitely hurts less than living a lie -- Better to wince from the sting of antiseptic  and start to heal.

Respect me, Gaia, your planet.

¡Por supuesto!  Es el lugar donde guardo todas Mis cosas.[1]
 1. ¡Cuchara!
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +265/-3
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2014, 12:58:39 AM »
You have to know that the futur does already exists.

I Googled "futur" and came back with zero results. So I guess that means that the "futur" doesn't exist after all.

Win one for "scienc"! ;D

(Springy G makes a few calculations on the back of an envelope)  Ah.  Try multiplying by 2.71828;)
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles