Author Topic: Christians, Why Won't They Engage Me  (Read 292 times)

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-80
  • "Question Everything"
Christians, Why Won't They Engage Me
« on: March 10, 2014, 04:54:09 AM »
I mean really.  I asked a direct question and only 1 Christian responded, vaguely.

I think it's because they love religion more than they love God or they only love atheist.  What's the dealie-oh.

I honestly believe this proves me right about how to beat religion.  Please share...

Seriously,

JB
Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man.
Thomas Paine

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/t/thomas_paine.html#XXwlhVIMq06zWg2d.99

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +84/-1
Re: Christians, Why Won't They Engage Me
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 08:21:00 AM »
I don't think it's so much your point of view in and of itself. They don't tend to answer me either. I started a thread with a question to theists myself a few days ago, which only generated a handful of responses, only one theist (OCG).

I just take it to mean that I don't have the knack of phrasing a question in an interesting way. Sometimes it's just the luck of the draw, though...there are a bunch of long-running threads going on right now, and maybe some of the resident theists (as well as others) are just wrapped up in them at the moment.

Offline penfold

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +63/-4
  • ...buzz buzz buzz...
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 08:33:29 AM »
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away." - P.K.D.

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +538/-13
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 08:38:49 AM »
They aren't interested in answering questions in general because that might harm their precious beliefs, or cause them to lose them entirely.  They're only interested in answering questions because that might lead people to share their belief.

Offline blue

• Graduate
  • Darwins +8/-0
  • Not cool, Zeus.
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 08:49:59 AM »
Not a lot of Christians here really. Perhaps try asking them on their boards and see if you get any more responses?
There’s no difference between a bunch of theologians sitting around debating scripture than a bunch of D&D nerds sitting around debating which version of the Player’s Handbook to use.

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +84/-1
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 09:09:45 AM »
Not a lot of Christians here really. Perhaps try asking them on their boards and see if you get any more responses?

It's hard to get anything said on a Christian board unless you are pretty much conservative Christian yourself. Atheists typically get banned outright, but even Junebug's brand of theism might prove too off-the-walls for them to deal with.

Offline blue

• Graduate
  • Darwins +8/-0
  • Not cool, Zeus.
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 09:50:32 AM »
It's hard to get anything said on a Christian board unless you are pretty much conservative Christian yourself. Atheists typically get banned outright, but even Junebug's brand of theism might prove too off-the-walls for them to deal with.

That's pretty true unfortunately. I've had better luck engaging on blogs then message boards with theists when I go to them with questions. They tend to be pretty quick with the banhammer on message boards.
There’s no difference between a bunch of theologians sitting around debating scripture than a bunch of D&D nerds sitting around debating which version of the Player’s Handbook to use.

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +218/-4
  • I can haz jeezusburger™
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 10:15:36 AM »
You might have some luck. Someone just signed up with an all-caps name. Those guys are always self-important trolls.
Humans, in general, don't waste any opportunity to be unfathomably stupid - Dr Cynical.

Offline wheels5894

• Reader
  • Darwins +106/-1
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2014, 12:20:52 PM »
Even if you can't attract any Christians into a thread, there are a number of us who can reasonable put the Christian point of view on topics so if you want something more in the line of information, just ask.
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)

Offline Mooby

• Reader
  • Darwins +69/-24
  • So it goes.
    • Is God Imaginary?
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2014, 01:55:09 PM »
I don't feel the need to respond to every question someone asks. Rather, I respond to the ones that interest me in some ways. Also, not every question asked of "Christians" really applies to me in the way the asker intended.
"I'm doing science and I'm still alive."--J.C.

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +180/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2014, 09:51:02 AM »
Theists here rarely pair up in a thread, even if they are both posting in it. There's very little direct interaction between theist posters here - I've often wondered why.
My tolerance for BS is limited, and I use up most of it IRL.

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-80
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2014, 05:41:03 AM »
That doesn't seem like the Christian way to me...I digress.
Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man.
Thomas Paine

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/t/thomas_paine.html#XXwlhVIMq06zWg2d.99