Author Topic: Smithsonian Drops Plans for “Atheism America” Exhibits  (Read 236 times)

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +542/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
Smithsonian Drops Plans for “Atheism America” Exhibits

... the Smithsonian Institution has decided to scrap a series of exhibits that would have shown the history and culture of Atheism in the United States, after a number of organizations lashed out against their plans… and a few had even vowed violent retribution.

The exhibits were named “Atheism America,” after a little-known poem written by one of America’s founding fathers, Thomas Jefferson, in which he posited his belief that one day, atheism would be a “majority philosophy” in the United States, as more Americans “cast aside the dogmas and shackles of un-tempered ideology in favor of the achievements of science and reasoning.” 

Smithsonian curators decided to pull the plug on Thursday, May 1st, after some museum staff started to receive death threats during the previous two weeks.

Kansas State legislator Tom Edison (R), [said] “Liberals want us to believe that America is a secular nation, but it isn’t.  This is a Christian nation, and there [isn't] any denying that,” Edison claimed during an interview recently on an AM radio program in his home state.  “Christians are persecuted every single day in this country, every time one of these atheists start flapping their gums.  We can’t worship in peace without some liberal atheist voicing their opinions, telling us we’re wrong.  That’s oppressive.  And we aren’t going to let the Smithsonian celebrate that oppression with a museum exhibition.  No way.”
- See more at: http://nationalreport.net/smithsonian-drops-plans-atheism-america-exhibits/#sthash.iDXNB4Z1.dpuf

This is a serious problem for freedom of speech and the implications for mob-rule by the Christian Taliban.
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +196/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
Re: Smithsonian Drops Plans for “Atheism America” Exhibits
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 07:31:55 AM »
Death threats. 'nuff said.
"It's hard to, but I'm starting to believe some of you actually believe these things.  That is completely beyond my ability to understand if that is really the case, but things never cease to amaze me."

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 08:09:40 AM »
Holy crap. So much for a free america.  :'(
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Online jaimehlers

• Professor
  • Darwins +578/-18
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 09:20:10 AM »
Someone needs to point out that this Edison's attitude is purely Orwellian.  Many Christians persecute atheists, yet it's atheists who somehow persecute Christians just by talking?  If their faith is so weak that a few words from an atheist count as persecution, then their beliefs are ultimately doomed anyway.

Offline snotnosetommy

• Freshman
  • Darwins +3/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 10:08:29 AM »
“Christians are persecuted every single day in this country, every time one of these atheists start flapping their gums.  We can’t worship in peace without some liberal atheist voicing their opinions, telling us we’re wrong."

Overstate much?

I sat through a lovely church service just yesterday & didn't voice my opinion or tell anybody they were wrong. So, that makes you a liar Mr. Edison.

Offline Disciple of Sagan

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +60/-0
  • Current mood: Malcontent
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 10:14:49 AM »

Sounds more and more like Michael Savage's version of America where... in his words... straight white Christian males are becoming the most persecuted minority... yes, he said minority in this country.

Golly gee willikers, I never realized us liberal atheists had that much social and political clout. &)

On the bright side, I guess that means being a gay, white atheist female is starting to look like a lock for the next Presidential elections. 8)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 10:18:10 AM by Disciple of Sagan »
The cosmos is also within us. We are made of star stuff.

The only thing bigger than the universe is humanity's collective sense of self-importance.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +703/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2014, 10:17:44 AM »
I do not believe this is real.  From the source:
*DISCLAIMER: The views expressed by writers on this site are theirs alone and are not reflective of the fine journalistic and editorial integrity of National Report. Advice given is NOT to be construed as professional. If you are in need of professional help, please consult a professional. National Report is not intended for children under the age of 18.

Plus, I cannot find anyone named Edison in the Kansas legislature.
http://www.kslegislature.org/li/b2013_14/chamber/house/roster/
http://www.kslegislature.org/li/b2013_14/chamber/senate/roster/

Plus, look at the front page:
http://nationalreport.net/

some articles:
Pro-Russian Separatists in Alaska Seize Federal Outpost
Mexicans to Blame for California Drought Billions of Gallons Sent to Families in Mexico
Business Booming For San Fran’s “Gay-Only” Sperm Bank
Supreme Court Upholds Michigan’s Ban On Affirmative Action In Colleges, Athletics Are Immediately Cut
Kanye West Outraged Over Wikileaks Release of IQ Scores
Mel Gibson in the Running to Buy Los Angeles Clippers

I think it's a satire site.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Disciple of Sagan

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +60/-0
  • Current mood: Malcontent
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2014, 10:20:22 AM »
Oh... ummm... drat. Now what I am going to do with all these "Disciple of Sagan 2016" bumper stickers.... :-\
The cosmos is also within us. We are made of star stuff.

The only thing bigger than the universe is humanity's collective sense of self-importance.

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +406/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +542/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2014, 06:07:36 PM »
I do not believe this is real. 

Plus, look at the front page:
http://nationalreport.net/
Ahem... good advice... I'll just get my hat and coat...

PS, Is there any truth in that the story about those Russian separatists in Alaska....
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2014, 06:21:44 PM »

Mel Gibson in the Running to Buy Los Angeles Clippers

I think it's a satire site.

Yep. And based on that hilarious headline I bolded, might be worth my time to peruse it. That's classic.
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +333/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2014, 11:28:27 PM »

You can have a "free America" as long as you are a white conservative Republican Christian--otherwise: you're shit out-of-luck.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline cwschizzy

• Student
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • WWGHA Member
    • Absurdity in Religion
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2014, 02:31:27 PM »
The article does highlight a few problems with society, but I can't help it....I love this website! It's hilarious.
Belief is irrelevant; the truth is not a democracy.
facebook.com/AbsurdityinReligion