Author Topic: I'm finally addressing this question  (Read 972 times)

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-83
  • "Question Everything"
Re: I'm finally addressing this question
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2014, 06:03:00 PM »
Okay. Let me give you one simple question. You said that your god helped you spiritually. What does that actually mean, that it has made you feel better when you were sad?

Does the god that you invented do anything else in the real world that people could detect? That is, does it appear to you as a person, or make a noise or throw bowls onto the floor?

lol that's three, bless your heart. 

1.Sort of but it is deeper than that.  It's hard to explain to someone who hasn't been there.  I do my best.  I believe God guides my spirit to a clear conscious.  I desire a clear conscious, I believe it's necessary to achieve happiness.  I hope that jabber makes sense.

2.I don't believe I invented God, I believe I am responsible for the attributes I believe that God capable for because I have no instruction manual.

3.No, that has never happened. 

Peace,

JB
Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man.
Thomas Paine

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/t/thomas_paine.html#XXwlhVIMq06zWg2d.99

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-83
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2014, 06:28:50 PM »

I am not sure how I feel about your admitting that you have invented your own personal god, and actually believe that it is real. I wonder if you should be allowed to drive a car. I am serious. You might see this god in the road and swerve to avoid it and run over a child.   :P

That's just mockery, it's not flattering to you.

As far as the rest goes, yes I know the difference.

I want my oncologist to dream as a child of growing up to be an oncologist.  Live with a supportive family that encourages her to work hard to fulfill her dream.  Then what do you know she's saving my life. 

It all starts with dreams, imagination and wishes.  All the things you detest.

Lighten up,

JB
Thomas Paine

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/t/thomas_paine.html#XXwlhVIMq06zWg2d.99

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +646/-27
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2014, 06:30:46 PM »
I really don't get your point just seems like a very poor attempt at sarcastic humor.  I am not amused.

just humor.  No sarcasm.  your choice of words inspired me.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-83
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2014, 06:33:00 PM »
I really don't get your point just seems like a very poor attempt at sarcastic humor.  I am not amused.

just humor.  No sarcasm.  your choice of words inspired me.

Okay.  Groovy dude.  I thought I knew when I was being mocked, guess not.
Thomas Paine

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +823/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2014, 07:02:57 PM »

I am not sure how I feel about your admitting that you have invented your own personal god, and actually believe that it is real. I wonder if you should be allowed to drive a car. I am serious. You might see this god in the road and swerve to avoid it and run over a child.   :P

I want my oncologist to dream as a child of growing up to be an oncologist.  Live with a supportive family that encourages her to work hard to fulfill her dream.  Then what do you know she's saving my life. 

Lighten up,

JB

Where do you get the idea that I detest imagination?  You are putting words in my mouth. I challenge you to find anything I have said disparaging dreams, wishes or imagination. You are also saying that I am a negative person, stomping on children's birthday wishes or something. I am not at all like that! I am a happy and fairly positive person. I love celebrations of every kind, after a JW childhood not being allowed to celebrate much of anything.

I am a teacher at a college and my job is to encourage and inspire people to achieve their dreams.[1]I love the Avengers, Iron Man and Thor. I write fan fiction for a hobby. I have done fashion design and currently do all kinds of crafts for fun and profit. I have been to more science fiction and comicons than I care to admit. I love Star Trek and when I first saw Star Wars, I thought it was the greatest movie ever made. How can you say that I detest imagination, when I love the products of imagination?

People have to use their imaginations to create new things, products, inventions. We have to imagine that the world can be better than it is and do the research to make what we imagine into reality. But imagination is not the same as reality. I don't want my airplane pilot to imagine that he sees the landing strip and crash the plane! I don't want a police officer to imagine that he really is a superhero, impervious to bullets, and get killed.  Do you get that there are some situations where you want imagination, and some where you don't?

You still don't seem to understand the difference between what is (and will probably always be) imaginary, like me having an afterlife as a talking fairy mouse princess, versus what is really possible (although more than a bit unlikely), like me traveling in outer space. And you are putting words in my mouth. I am trying to understand your POV but I am not sure how to communicate with you.  :-\
 1. I do want kids to dream of becoming oncologists, but it cannot stop with dreams.  Dreaming about it is not the same as doing it in reality. Do you want the kid to go to college, study and really become an oncologist or to just wish they were in scrubs and think about it in their imagination?
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-83
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2014, 01:34:15 PM »

Lighten up,

JB

Where do you get the idea that I detest imagination?  You are putting words in my mouth. I challenge you to find anything I have said disparaging dreams, wishes or imagination. You are also saying that I am a negative person, stomping on children's birthday wishes or something. I am not at all like that! I am a happy and fairly positive person. I love celebrations of every kind, after a JW childhood not being allowed to celebrate much of anything.

I am a teacher at a college and my job is to encourage and inspire people to achieve their dreams.[1]I love the Avengers, Iron Man and Thor. I write fan fiction for a hobby. I have done fashion design and currently do all kinds of crafts for fun and profit. I have been to more science fiction and comicons than I care to admit. I love Star Trek and when I first saw Star Wars, I thought it was the greatest movie ever made. How can you say that I detest imagination, when I love the products of imagination?

People have to use their imaginations to create new things, products, inventions. We have to imagine that the world can be better than it is and do the research to make what we imagine into reality. But imagination is not the same as reality. I don't want my airplane pilot to imagine that he sees the landing strip and crash the plane! I don't want a police officer to imagine that he really is a superhero, impervious to bullets, and get killed.  Do you get that there are some situations where you want imagination, and some where you don't?

You still don't seem to understand the difference between what is (and will probably always be) imaginary, like me having an afterlife as a talking fairy mouse princess, versus what is really possible (although more than a bit unlikely), like me traveling in outer space. And you are putting words in my mouth. I am trying to understand your POV but I am not sure how to communicate with you.  :-\
 1. I do want kids to dream of becoming oncologists, but it cannot stop with dreams.  Dreaming about it is not the same as doing it in reality. Do you want the kid to go to college, study and really become an oncologist or to just wish they were in scrubs and think about it in their imagination?

There has been such a negative vibe around here about imagination, that's why.  It just seems to be the attitude around here.

I challenge you to show where I have said only dream and never take action. 

I know imagination is not reality but it is there where ideas form.  W/o it, well, I don't think we would have made it this far.

As far as communicating with me.  You are doing that just fine...

Really,

JB

Thomas Paine

Offline Boots

• Reader
  • Darwins +95/-0
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2014, 01:59:18 PM »

I know imagination is not reality but it is there where ideas form.  W/o it, well, I don't think we would have made it this far.

Everything you've said thus far, IMHO, does in fact support this statement--everything except your god belief.  Imagining a better world through inventions, then acting on them, is not the same as imagining an invisible sky daddy, and it being true.

*shrug*

Imagination is required to make things happen, but it's not the only thing.
* Religion: institutionalized superstition, period.

"Many of my ultra-conservative Republican friends...have trouble accepting the idea God is not a Republican. " ~OldChurchGuy

"We humans may never figure out the truth, but I prefer trying to find it over pretending we know it."  ~ParkingPlaces

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-83
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2014, 03:14:09 PM »

Everything you've said thus far, IMHO, does in fact support this statement--everything except your god belief.  Imagining a better world through inventions, then acting on them, is not the same as imagining an invisible sky daddy, and it being true.

*shrug*

Imagination is required to make things happen, but it's not the only thing.

I have never said it was the only thing.

I think if I imagine God capable of hell then that makes me a vengeful spiteful person, but if I imagine God loves us then I'm loving.

I am not saying that me imagining God makes God real.  I am not saying that at all.  Not at all.

Religion is an invention.  A failed one. 

God is what I call the source of life.  Is it your argument that there is no "source of life"?  I think it's a valid argument as to what this source is and what not but I don't think you can argue against there being a source. 

Happy Days and Nights,

JB

PS...the statement said nothing about my God belief...
Thomas Paine

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +256/-3
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2014, 01:32:30 AM »
God is what I call the source of life.  Is it your argument that there is no "source of life"?  I think it's a valid argument as to what this source is and what not but I don't think you can argue against there being a source.

I don't know if there's a "source" in the sense of a consciously creative entity, but working backwards in time it's clear that there's a long, long chain of events that got us here.  The source would have to be whatever we're ultimately dependent upon -- That which, if taken away, would render our existence impossible.  It could be something as simple as a quantum "blink" of subatomic matter, or something so elusive that it could take centuries to even find words for it.

This Wikipedia article might be of interest:  The AbsoluteWiki.
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-83
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2014, 11:00:18 AM »

I don't know if there's a "source" in the sense of a consciously creative entity, but working backwards in time it's clear that there's a long, long chain of events that got us here.  The source would have to be whatever we're ultimately dependent upon -- That which, if taken away, would render our existence impossible.  It could be something as simple as a quantum "blink" of subatomic matter, or something so elusive that it could take centuries to even find words for it.

The article has been deleted.  Thanks for trying.

Smiles,

JB
Thomas Paine

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +256/-3
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2014, 11:16:19 AM »

Ah -- I see what happened.  I put the entire URL into the Wikipedia link, and it duplicated it and made it non-functional.  Try this one.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 11:21:51 AM by Astreja »
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-83
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2014, 12:56:43 PM »

Ah -- I see what happened.  I put the entire URL into the Wikipedia link, and it duplicated it and made it non-functional.  Try this one.

**it Happens.  Seems it happened again.  3rd time's the charm Astreja.

Smiles,

JB
Thomas Paine

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +823/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2014, 04:12:01 PM »

I was not mocking you. I was serious. You are the person who says she has invented her own personal god, that is not described by any known religion, who protects you and comforts you. If I misunderstood, please correct me.

I am asking whether this personal god is a real being, a ghost or spirit, a force, an energy field? How does it actually appear to you in real life, like as a person, or is it a special a voice in your head, or a nice warm feeling you sometimes get, or what?

If all people who believed in god(s) meant the same things we would not have to ask. For example, your god does not sound like the same god that Bible Student believes in.[1] Or the one that skeptic believes in.[2]

If your god appeared to you as a real person, and it was in the road, would you swerve to avoid it or not? That is a serious question.
 1. He says that his god is an Intelligent Designer whose main purpose appears to be tricking scientists into thinking evolution is real. :?
 2. He says that his god [sometimes] heals sick dogs (which I highly approve of), writes on walls in blood and lets demons run around loose .... :o
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-83
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2014, 07:02:24 AM »
Let me just say I would hit God before I would hit the child.  I think God would want it that way.  I do not have hallucinations and have never indicated that I do. 

I don't think God is a ghost for sure.  I have never seen God so I don't really know.  I'm good with energy but not sure about an energy field.

The feelings I get seem to be in my guts.  It seems to go from my guts to my brain. :o  I guess that's why I can not believe that it comes from me.  My brain is not in my guts.  The feelings in my guts have never been wrong, never.  It's hard to describe but I will try.

I have PTSD.  I can get very upset.  I've been working on controlling this condition for about 10 years now.  When I am triggered I get in this can't stop crying, life ain't worth living state of mind.  I start cursing God.  Before I know it a light feels me starting in my core and bursts out to the rest of me.  A calming light.  I come out of the dark when this happens.

I simply think that Skeptic and Jesuis are mistaken about the attributes they attribute to God.  That is because they are religious.  They are seeking God in the wrong place.  I'm sure they mean well but I'm just as sure their religion is wrong.

I do not own God.  All I own is what I believe God is capable of...

Peace,

JB
Thomas Paine

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-83
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2014, 07:20:49 AM »

Smiles,

JB

Thanks Astreja.  Interesting read.  I will have to agree with Buddha.  I don't see God as emptiness or darkness.  IDK, I imagine God more as LIGHT in a world of darkness.  ;) 

I think of songs I know referring to God's hands.  He's got the whole world in his hands, In God's hands you're in good hands, Sheltered in the arms of God.  I think that God has ways to embrace us I just don't know if it's literally hands and arms or more like a Spiritual (((hug.)))

You know MUSIC is my main source of enlightenment.  One of my fav's is James Taylor, Shower the People You Love With Love.  Show them the Way you Feel, la la la la la laaaaaaa,  Love it.

Smiles,

JB
Thomas Paine

Offline Boots

• Reader
  • Darwins +95/-0
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2014, 03:49:58 PM »

You know MUSIC is my main source of enlightenment.  One of my fav's is James Taylor, Shower the People You Love With Love.  Show them the Way you Feel, la la la la la laaaaaaa,  Love it.

Smiles,

JB

I love JT's voice.
"Now the 1st of December was covered with snow...so was the Turnpike from Stockridge to Boston" <--right down the street from me!  [/offtopicsorry]
* Religion: institutionalized superstition, period.

"Many of my ultra-conservative Republican friends...have trouble accepting the idea God is not a Republican. " ~OldChurchGuy

"We humans may never figure out the truth, but I prefer trying to find it over pretending we know it."  ~ParkingPlaces

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-83
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2014, 04:54:54 PM »
It's okay.  James Taylor deserves some props. 

Smiles,

JB
Thomas Paine