Author Topic: Prove There Is No God - A Challenge  (Read 19495 times)

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-1
Re: Prove There Is No God - A Challenge
« Reply #841 on: March 19, 2014, 09:40:49 PM »
I really hate, after getting through the busy part of my day, and coming here to see whether there are any interesting conversations going on, finding that there are a couple of new pages, and preparing to settle down to something at least somewhat entertaining,only to find it's just more Jesuis spouting the same incomprehensible drivel I've been skipping over for weeks.

I haven't missed anything vital, right? I started out trying to read and digest them as best I could, but have pretty much gone to skimming with an eye out in case I see anything that makes enough sense to bother with.

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +772/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #842 on: March 19, 2014, 10:26:13 PM »
jynnan, you haven't missed a thing unless you love listening to the sound of eyeballs rolling!  ;D
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +222/-4
  • I can haz jeezusburgerâ„¢
« Reply #843 on: March 19, 2014, 10:33:46 PM »
I really hate, after getting through the busy part of my day, and coming here to see whether there are any interesting conversations going on, finding that there are a couple of new pages, and preparing to settle down to something at least somewhat entertaining,only to find it's just more Jesuis spouting the same incomprehensible drivel I've been skipping over for weeks.

If you are a fundamentalist Christian troll, is it easier to answer real debate, or just screw up the forum with inane gibberish, so we all look stupid, and every thread looks trashed by an idiot?

Humans, in general, don't waste any opportunity to be unfathomably stupid - Dr Cynical.

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +387/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #844 on: March 19, 2014, 10:39:50 PM »
It is honestly depressing that it's very possible that Jesuis is this genuinely, willfully stupid.

It's rather mind blowing.  Stupidity is one thing - I can understand and deal with stupidity - but his insistence that he willingly, and with apparently great effort, remains just so damn idiotic is pretty painful.

I feel bad about just being insulting, but...damn - there really is no other way to really express the level of frustration I feel just glancing at his pitiful posts.  It is saddening.
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/

Offline SevenPatch

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +108/-4
  • A source will help me understand.
« Reply #845 on: March 20, 2014, 08:00:51 AM »
It is honestly depressing that it's very possible that Jesuis is this genuinely, willfully stupid.

It's rather mind blowing.  Stupidity is one thing - I can understand and deal with stupidity - but his insistence that he willingly, and with apparently great effort, remains just so damn idiotic is pretty painful.

I feel bad about just being insulting, but...damn - there really is no other way to really express the level of frustration I feel just glancing at his pitiful posts.  It is saddening.

One thing is for certain, interacting with him is not intellectually stimulating at all.  Interaction with him is more like a chore.

You know more than half of the meaningful thought provoking things said to him are going to be completely ignored and everything else is going to be responded to with more illogical nonsense and woo.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 08:05:03 AM by SevenPatch »
"Shut him up! We have a lot invested in this ride - SHUT HIM UP! Look at my furrows of worry! Look at my big bank account, and my family! This just HAS to be real!" - Bill Hicks

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +222/-4
  • I can haz jeezusburgerâ„¢
« Reply #846 on: March 20, 2014, 09:49:37 AM »
I think I've dispatched Kirpal Singh, which is his latest holy cow. He'll simply move to the Saint prior to Kirpal. The next one off his toilet roll of Saints.
Humans, in general, don't waste any opportunity to be unfathomably stupid - Dr Cynical.

Offline Boots

• Reader
  • Darwins +96/-0
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #847 on: March 20, 2014, 10:13:03 AM »

One thing is for certain, interacting with him is not intellectually stimulating at all.  Interaction with him is more like a chore.

My life has improved since "ignoring" him.
It's one of the reasons I'm an atheist today.  I decided to take my religion seriously, and that's when it started to fall apart for me.
~jdawg70

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +387/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #848 on: March 20, 2014, 10:34:50 AM »

I guess I just keep hoping against hope that the next Jesuis post will be revealing that he's actually Mary Roach doing research for a book on the study of the psychological response to ineffable bullshit on an interweb forum.

If that's the case Mary, I suggest the title Headdesk!: Human Exploration from the Depths of Wootastic Idiocy.  Please credit me in the forward.  Thanks!
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

Offline SevenPatch

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +108/-4
  • A source will help me understand.
« Reply #849 on: March 20, 2014, 10:47:22 AM »

I guess I just keep hoping against hope that the next Jesuis post will be revealing that he's actually Mary Roach doing research for a book on the study of the psychological response to ineffable bullshit on an interweb forum.

If that's the case Mary, I suggest the title Headdesk!: Human Exploration from the Depths of Wootastic Idiocy.  Please credit me in the forward.  Thanks!

Hopefully I get some royalties for my stick figure artwork.  It's not easy to make a stick figures head explode in a microwave.
"Shut him up! We have a lot invested in this ride - SHUT HIM UP! Look at my furrows of worry! Look at my big bank account, and my family! This just HAS to be real!" - Bill Hicks

Offline edd

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #850 on: March 20, 2014, 11:40:56 AM »
I'm sensing a change in our moods around here. Jesuis has posted 10-12 times today and there have been no thumbs down votes. Either he's making more sense (yea, right) or out collective give-a-sh*t level has dropped below detectable levels.

Assuming the latter, it proves one thing. You can't piss people off if they don't care.

And Jesuis, I have a tip for you. Talking about consciousness while displaying no evidence that you have any yourself kind of messes up your basic thesis. Like I said long ago, you need to find a new hobby.
I am planing a trip to Australia.... any tips?

jump out the plane and ask god too save you. You have so much more to teach us here im sure your god will step straight in and save you. No really put your god to the test, you have nothing too loose.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 11:42:33 AM by edd »

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #851 on: March 20, 2014, 01:41:04 PM »
Your descendants will be punished to the third and fourth generations by being forced to eat their favorite food, no matter what it is (id est, even if it changes), every meal for the rest of their lives!

I lost a bet once where my penalty was eating diet chocolate pudding for a month. The penalty for not completing the task was $100 to each member of the game ($1600) -- I barely made it. I'll probably never eat pudding again, well, at least chocolate pudding. Imagine if it was one of my favorite foods. I'd hate that.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +902/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #852 on: March 20, 2014, 02:40:51 PM »

Same here. I get easily frustrated with airy fairy philosophical discussions anyway. Add in a heavy dose of willful stupid and I'm gone. Life is too short. Monty Python does much better nonsense.

Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline JoeNobody

• Student
  • Darwins +13/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #853 on: March 20, 2014, 02:42:13 PM »
Depends on if you think the Borg collective is real or not.

Chicken of Borg (official designation 1 of 12) would like you to know *BAWK* WE ARE REAL.

Offline Boots

• Reader
  • Darwins +96/-0
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #854 on: March 20, 2014, 02:48:00 PM »
Your descendants will be punished to the third and fourth generations by being forced to eat their favorite food, no matter what it is (id est, even if it changes), every meal for the rest of their lives!

I lost a bet once where my penalty was eating diet chocolate pudding for a month. The penalty for not completing the task was $100 to each member of the game ($1600) -- I barely made it. I'll probably never eat pudding again, well, at least chocolate pudding. Imagine if it was one of my favorite foods. I'd hate that.

-Nam

I used to work at the now defunct Cindy's Cinnamon rolls (at least, I think they're defunct).  One perk was you could eat all the cinnamon rolls you wanted.  I loved that perk--until one day I was eating one in the back room, and all I could taste was the dough that was currently being prepared.  that was a sad day.

Even years later (while they were still around) I'd try one periodically.  Couldn't swallow more than one mouthful.

at least Cinnabon (and my own, homemade rolls) are still yummy!!
It's one of the reasons I'm an atheist today.  I decided to take my religion seriously, and that's when it started to fall apart for me.
~jdawg70

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +902/-6
« Reply #855 on: March 20, 2014, 02:53:22 PM »
I'm the kind of person who can't eat a food for years after if I get sick on something.

When I was about 8 I got sick on hot dogs and grape pop one hot Chicago Sunday and barfed all over the Kingdom Hall. A memorable summer day for the JW's, let me tell you. I could eat hot dogs again after a few weeks. But it was over 20 years before I could tolerate a grape pop. I still can't imagine having the two together.  :P

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Jesuis

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +10/-160
  • WWGHA Member
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #856 on: March 20, 2014, 03:10:28 PM »
I think I've dispatched Kirpal Singh, which is his latest holy cow. He'll simply move to the Saint prior to Kirpal. The next one off his toilet roll of Saints.
Not prior to but post. The living one is who we are looking to find if we are going to know God.
A dead man is a dead man. We cannot learn anything from the dead or the prior to except that which is written in books. That's like saying we have heard of sugar, read about sugar and know sugar exists but we will not know what it tastes like until we find the human being who can show us what it really is.
According to Theists: Theists know God, Atheists don't.

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-1
« Reply #857 on: March 20, 2014, 03:11:20 PM »
I haven't managed to turn myself off any food that I can think of, but I do recall (at least the next morning of) a pretty lousy experience with blackberry brandy back in my college days...Couldn't even stand the smell of it for years afterward. I have no idea if it would still turn my stomach, but don't really have any intention of finding out.

Offline Jesuis

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +10/-160
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #858 on: March 20, 2014, 03:15:22 PM »
Hopefully I get some royalties for my stick figure artwork.  It's not easy to make a stick figures head explode in a microwave.
I can assure you I am no book writer. I thought your drawings were too good to be be wasted on me.

Offline Jesuis

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +10/-160
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #859 on: March 20, 2014, 03:21:07 PM »

Funny! Might as well question the humanity of it.
Where does this hope come from? Is it pre programmed in the brain? Is it a signal with too much sucrose or protein?
I am what I am. Why live in hope? What is that ability or capability? Maybe hope is a lot of old woo you have become accustomed to accepting as a way of life without reason?

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +902/-6
« Reply #860 on: March 20, 2014, 03:36:26 PM »
One thing I find sad about Jesuis is that he is apparently from Aruba or Suriname or some other interesting place in the Americas and could have been a really fun person to have here. Spice things up internationally like magic miles, the tulpa guy and our other Aussies.

But no. Too full of the woo. He might as well be a Moonie, a Scientologist or a Hari Krishna from an LA suburb. :P

Offline bertatberts

• Reader
  • Darwins +52/-8
  • Humanists. Not perfect. Not forgiven. Responsible.
« Reply #861 on: March 20, 2014, 03:56:54 PM »
One thing I find sad about Jesuis is that he is apparently from Aruba or Suriname or some other interesting place in the Americas and could have been a really fun person to have here. Spice things up internationally like magic miles, the tulpa guy and our other Aussies.  might as well be a Moonie, a Scientologist or a Hari Krishna from an LA suburb. :P
Or a nutjob! Oh wait he is.
We theists have no evidence for our beliefs. So no amount of rational evidence will dissuade us from those beliefs. - JCisall

It would be pretty piss poor brainwashing, if the victims knew they were brainwashed, wouldn't it? - Screwtape. 04/12/12

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +387/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #862 on: March 20, 2014, 04:18:12 PM »
Funny! Might as well question the humanity of it.

Why stop there?  Might as well question the sepia tone of it.  How about the spatial distortion field of it?  I'd also question the frequency of it, though maybe we should question the herd of it first.  That is probably at least as compelling, if not more so, than questioning the wetness of it.

Where does this hope come from? Is it pre programmed in the brain? Is it a signal with too much sucrose or protein?

Yes.  Absolutely.  16% sucrose, 37.5% protein, 46.5% trans-fats.  So too much adhesive.  But not enough salt.

I am what I am. Why live in hope? What is that ability or capability?

Yes.  Absolutely, except for the sugar of course.

Maybe hope is a lot of old woo you have become accustomed to accepting as a way of life without reason?

Yes.  Absolutely.  Sugar included.  Hold the mayo.

- Eddie Izzard

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +902/-6
« Reply #863 on: March 20, 2014, 04:39:28 PM »
Seriously, is Jesuis actually a teenager using a random woo phrase generator and laughing his a$$ off as we try to respond coherently?

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/low_concept/2014/03/john_travolta_called_idina_menzel_adele_dazeem_what_s_your_travolta_name.html

Offline median

• Reader
  • Darwins +201/-16
  • Yahweh: Obviously not obvious.
    • Talk Origins
« Reply #864 on: March 20, 2014, 07:06:32 PM »

The "way of knowing God" is the same way they have all been taught. The moral ethical life lived in the present moment. Technically a loving life to all life right in front of you. A life devoid of lust, or greed or ego to be observed and to know what indulging in it does. These things create division between followers and love creates unity. They choose to observe these working of mind and choose to avoid it when it is observed to create disharmony amongst them.

You speak of "moral ethical life", "love", "lust", "greed" or "ego" as if those are some kind of hocus pocus metaphysical 'spiritual' magic stuff, when in fact you haven't demonstrated that. These are just more of your own personal assumptions that you are attempting to smuggle into the conversation. "Oh yes, we 'know God' by being nice to each other and not being lustful or greedy." Absolutely, none of that has anything to do with some "spiritual" thing. Morality has to do with human interaction (and the minimization of unnecessary harm). Love is a word we have invented to describe certain human behaviors and feelings (and so too for the terms 'lust' and 'ego' - generally). You act as if just because you can use a certain term in a certain way, that therefore it must be "spiritual". Yet, you haven't demonstrated there is any such thing. It's just more assuming, all the way down. These attempts are vapid b/c they bear no relation to what is demonstrably the case.

If everyone realised what these theists teach it would create the foundations for a more harmonious and progressive world. Unfortunately the concept of God is being debated and misunderstood - God is not a Hindu, Buddhist, Christian, Muslim or a Sikh. These are labels that man makes. God is not Indian, Chinese, European, or African. God is the All Conscious that is taught to man and how to live if he wants to know it with his consciousness.

No, that is what the vacuous term "God" means for you. This term (as is the case with so many other humanly invented terms) does not actually refer to anything. Sure, it is claimed as referring to something but that has not ever been demonstrated. Again, these are just claims being made (with no evidence) through-and-through. And again (by use of the term "All Conscious"), you use more terms in a "spooky" mystical fashion. You have become accustomed to taking words and wrapping them in your assumed theology - trying to magically make them mean something for which you have merely assumed. That is the backwards approach to reliably separating fact from fiction. It really stems from a logical fallacy (the Argument from Ignorance/Incredulity). Since you personally can't see any other way that consciousness is a natural phenomena, you insert a god-of-the-gaps and assume it's "spiritual" - when in fact that term has no meaning whatsoever. The word "spiritual" is really just another way of saying you don't understand it and therefore must assume it's from a god. No, just no.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 07:09:26 PM by median »
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Carl Sagan

Offline Jesuis

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +10/-160
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #865 on: March 20, 2014, 08:54:21 PM »
You speak of "moral ethical life", "love", "lust", "greed" or "ego" as if those are some kind of hocus pocus metaphysical 'spiritual' magic stuff, when in fact you haven't demonstrated that. These are just more of your own personal assumptions that you are attempting to smuggle into the conversation. "Oh yes, we 'know God' by being nice to each other and not being lustful or greedy." Absolutely, none of that has anything to do with some "spiritual" thing. Morality has to do with human interaction (and the minimization of unnecessary harm). Love is a word we have invented to describe certain human behaviors and feelings (and so too for the terms 'lust' and 'ego' - generally). You act as if just because you can use a certain term in a certain way, that therefore it must be "spiritual". Yet, you haven't demonstrated there is any such thing. It's just more assuming, all the way down. These attempts are vapid b/c they bear no relation to what is demonstrably the case.
Actually it is quite common in the works of the theists. In the east mainly Buddhism,Sikhism, Jainism, Hinduism call it Kam, Krodh, Moh, Lobh and Ahankar - which translates as lust, anger, attachment, greed and ego and mostly found in that sequence in the works of Kabir.  Love is not a single word as we have in English. Love for god is different word than love for another human being. These debates is us trying to bring a different angle to our stalemate in the quest for God through the usual Christian Muslim Jewish debates that have led us to atheism. Morality was enforced on us humans in all the religious traditions - the commandments - the eight fold path to enlightenment, The Love thy neighbour as thyself are all theists trying to show us a better way to know our higher self. One that they practice, and lead by example.

No, that is what the vacuous term "God" means for you. This term (as is the case with so many other humanly invented terms) does not actually refer to anything. Sure, it is claimed as referring to something but that has not ever been demonstrated. Again, these are just claims being made (with no evidence) through-and-through. And again (by use of the term "All Conscious"), you use more terms in a "spooky" mystical fashion. You have become accustomed to taking words and wrapping them in your assumed theology - trying to magically make them mean something for which you have merely assumed. That is the backwards approach to reliably separating fact from fiction. It really stems from a logical fallacy (the Argument from Ignorance/Incredulity). Since you personally can't see any other way that consciousness is a natural phenomena, you insert a god-of-the-gaps and assume it's "spiritual" - when in fact that term has no meaning whatsoever. The word "spiritual" is really just another way of saying you don't understand it and therefore must assume it's from a god. No, just no.
[/font]
Actually I am saying theists say there is a God. There is nothing imaginary here. They teach other humans how to know the same as they do. They learn a spiritual practice which allows them to rise beyond the limitations of physical senses. What do you know about spirituality that is taught? What experiences have you had? If none how can you discuss that it is woo or nonsense or made up?? You are not trained in that field of study. Why should I take your word for it? What authority do you have?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 08:55:56 PM by Jesuis »

Offline Jesuis

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +10/-160
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #866 on: March 20, 2014, 09:07:03 PM »
Yes.  Absolutely.  16% sucrose, 37.5% protein, 46.5% trans-fats.  So too much adhesive.  But not enough salt.

Yes.  Absolutely, except for the sugar of course.

Yes.  Absolutely.  Sugar included.  Hold the mayo.
It gets funnier.
I hope this is the end of this or it will remains another woo word in our dictionary that Theists can capitalize on. I'll hold back the mayo.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
« Reply #867 on: March 20, 2014, 09:28:21 PM »
 Wish you'd hold back your words instead.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +387/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #868 on: March 20, 2014, 11:05:56 PM »
It gets funnier.
I hope this is the end of this or it will remains another woo word in our dictionary that Theists can capitalize on. I'll hold back the mayo.

Yes.  We must be very careful to not enable the Theists to Capitalize on All the Woo woo.  It is extraordinarily funny.  But, when the Theists say that the theist doesn't mean to believe to know, do we know the Theist over the theist or believe the theist after the Theist?  While the theist dictionary doesn't know the Theist Dictionary, does the atheist Dictionary know the theist Dictionary, or the theist dictionary?

Yes, let us be careful of the Theist who may see our woo.  Otherwise, they may mistake our woo for Woo.  Even though your Dictionary is better than my dictionary.  But I will soon find a way to upgrade my dictionary to Your Dictionary.  And then we can avoid those sneaky Theists - maybe even meet some theists along the way to the Frequency of the prophets of all knowledge in Knowledge.  Hopefully avoiding those Prophets who claim knowledge of knowledgeable Theists.

- Eddie Izzard

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
« Reply #869 on: March 20, 2014, 11:33:48 PM »
Woo doo of the hoo doo...say what?

-Nam