Author Topic: Another child dies through religion  (Read 443 times)

Offline Jontom10

• Graduate
  • Darwins +14/-0
Another child dies through religion
« on: March 01, 2014, 10:42:13 AM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-26382654

The Old Bailey heard the boy's medical care was neglected because of his parents' religious beliefs.
Hasa Diga Eebowai

Offline wheels5894

• Fellow
  • Darwins +110/-1
Re: Another child dies through religion
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 10:48:36 AM »
Well the couple got off lightly I would say. 3 1/2 years means they will be out in half that time - less than 2 years. Seems very lenient punishment for the life of a child.
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +285/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 10:54:16 AM »
Well the couple got off lightly I would say. <snip> Seems very lenient punishment for the life of a child.

I'd agree, if it weren't for their consciences. Assuming religion hasn't gotten rid of those along with common sense, reason, and logic.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline Dante

• Reader
  • Darwins +73/-9
  • Hedonist Extraordinaire
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 11:02:54 AM »
Well the couple got off lightly I would say. <snip> Seems very lenient punishment for the life of a child.

I'd agree, if it weren't for their consciences. Assuming religion hasn't gotten rid of those along with common sense, reason, and logic.

Why would they feel guily when it was obviously god's will?
Actually it doesn't. One could conceivably be all-powerful but not exceptionally intelligent.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +285/-37
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2014, 11:10:19 AM »

Not all theists are gnostic, although, according to this forum's statistics, the ones who claim gnosticism outnumber the ones who claim the opposite. Regardless, claiming to be a gnostic theist and being one are not the same thing. To paraphrase (because I don't recall the exact quote and am too lazy to look it up) House:
Quote from: Gregory House
You can tell me you put your faith in God to get through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.
Theists who have faith (true faith; not that "I have faith that God has my well being in mind, but I'm afraid of dying"-type "faith" BS the vast majority of theists have) are few and far between.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

Offline wheels5894

• Fellow
  • Darwins +110/-1
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)

Offline Dante

• Reader
  • Darwins +73/-9
  • Hedonist Extraordinaire
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2014, 11:17:30 AM »

Not all theists are gnostic, although, according to this forum's statistics, the ones who claim gnosticism outnumber the ones who claim the opposite. Regardless, claiming to be a gnostic theist and being one are not the same thing.

True enough, but the theist wouldn't have to be gnostic to rationalize away their mistake. You as well as anyone know how people of all stripes can pick and choose.
Actually it doesn't. One could conceivably be all-powerful but not exceptionally intelligent.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +285/-37
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2014, 11:24:52 AM »
True enough, but the theist wouldn't have to be gnostic to rationalize away their mistake.

I'm betting their conscience will win that fight.

You as well as anyone know how people of all stripes can pick and choose.

Indeed.
We choose our own gods.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +258/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2014, 01:35:13 PM »

Not all theists are gnostic, although, according to this forum's statistics, the ones who claim gnosticism outnumber the ones who claim the opposite. Regardless, claiming to be a gnostic theist and being one are not the same thing.

I disagree. The only people who can claim to be agnostic theists are deists. Every other religion proclaims some sort of revealed knowledge...hence gnostic.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +285/-37
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2014, 01:36:33 PM »
I disagree. The only people who can claim to be agnostic theists are deists. Every other religion proclaims some sort of revealed knowledge...hence gnostic.

Ever met a theist whose beliefs were consistent?
We choose our own gods.

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +534/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2014, 04:07:22 PM »
Response of the 7th Day Adventist Church to the verdict
390 words and nothing has been said. The parents were not "reasl" SDAs and SDA Church is still right: no concessions made.

So Christian, aren't they? Never admit a mistake, never take the blame.
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +258/-7
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2014, 08:21:49 PM »

Ever met a theist whose beliefs were consistent?

I didn't say they made sense. I said they stated they knew this or that about God.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +285/-37
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2014, 05:09:13 AM »
I didn't say they made sense. I said they stated they knew this or that about God.

Check my House quote on my second reply (overall reply #5/post #6) to this thread. What they claim to believe in and their actual beliefs are very different things.
We choose our own gods.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +258/-7
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2014, 09:47:59 AM »

Check my House quote on my second reply (overall reply #5/post #6) to this thread. What they claim to believe in and their actual beliefs are very different things.

I contend they actually believe this crap, while they are saying it. However, when it comes time to test it, when their comfort, finances, and health are to be harmed, not so much.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +285/-37
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2014, 09:51:31 AM »
I contend they actually believe this crap, while they are saying it. However, when it comes time to test it, when their comfort, finances, and health are to be harmed, not so much.

And I contend the opposite, as evidenced by the fact that they abandon their proclaimed beliefs when it comes time to show them. It's like someone saying they're generous, then refusing to donate to charity (or to anything, really) and hoarding all their possessions and/or spending their money on themselves.
We choose our own gods.