Author Topic: homeless jesus causes xians to freak out  (Read 391 times)

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +646/-27
  • Karma mooch
homeless jesus causes xians to freak out
« on: February 26, 2014, 08:23:04 AM »
http://www.wcnc.com/news/neighborhood-news/Homeless-Jesus-sculpture-sparks-controversy-247134691.html?hpt=us_bn8

DAVIDSON, N.C. -- A sculpture of Jesus as a homeless man installed outside a church in Davidson has neighbors and church leaders debating its message and appropriateness.

"It's Jesus representing the most marginalized of society," said Rev. Doctor David E. Buck, the rector at St. Alban's.

I think it says something about xians that some are offended by this.  I also think this is a good piece of art to remind xians what the difference is between what they say xianity is and what it actually is.

They say it is about love and following jesus H and being good to each other.  But really, it is about getting a free ride to paradise on the back of someone else, being rewarded despite doing nothing to earn it.  It is the difference between what jesus H said and what Paul said.

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +298/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: homeless jesus causes xians to freak out
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 08:34:45 AM »
Yeah! Jesus should be made of gold and platinum with diamonds as eyes, and his penis should be silver, and his testacles rubies!

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 10:21:27 AM »
Of COURSE they don't want it.  It would remind them that Jesus said "treat the homeless as if they were me, or I won't let you into heaven", and they'd rather not think about that.  Much better to keep their neighbourhood "safe" (as one dumb bimbo said) and drive the homeless away, to somewhere they don't have to look at them.
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +256/-3
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 11:37:22 AM »
Excellent idea for a Jesus sculpture, Matthew 25:35 right in the face.
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Online Aaron123

• Fellow
  • Darwins +77/-1
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 12:10:09 PM »
Well, it could've been worse.  They could've made a statue reminding us to sell everything we own, and give the money to the poor.  We can't have that now, can we?
Being a Christian, I've made my decision. That decision offers no compromise; therefore, I'm closed to anything else.

Offline wheels5894

• Reader
  • Darwins +106/-1
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 12:32:03 PM »
Gosh and yet the gospels tell us Jesus had no place to live - he just wandered from place to place!
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 12:49:24 PM »
I find it to be a very powerful piece. If I were christian, I can imagine sitting next to it and allowing myself to feel compassion for his suffering and sacrifice. I think that kind of interactive experience with one's "good and wise man archetype" would be quite beautiful. Its a shame that some religious folks are too shallow to allow that level of compassion into their hearts.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +298/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 01:01:04 PM »
I find it to be a very powerful piece. If I were christian, I can imagine sitting next to it and allowing myself to feel compassion for his suffering and sacrifice. I think that kind of interactive experience with one's "good and wise man archetype" would be quite beautiful. Its a shame that most religious folks are too shallow to allow that level of compassion into their hearts.

Fixed that for you.

;)

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +84/-1
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 01:24:54 PM »
I think it's quite appropriate. I even liked the clip of the priest praying alongside the sculpture on the bench. Much as overt prayer tends to rub me the wrong way moreso than otherwise, I thought this was rather sweet.

One of the comments was also right on the dot with the Bible verse:

Jesus replied, "Foxes have dens and birds have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head." - Luke 9:58.

Can't see anything to argue with there.

If there are going to be churches and religion (which there are), this is, at least, a reasonable attitude.

Offline Brad the Bold

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +17/-0
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2014, 10:01:30 AM »
Excellent idea for a Jesus sculpture, Matthew 25:35 right in the face.

Agreed, it is brilliant. And the reaction is a perfect illustration of how the message is lost.

And tragic for the indignant woman opposed to the statue. Her first reaction? She called the cops because she thought it was a real homeless man.

Congratulations Cindy Castano Swannack, you are exactly who Matthew is talking about in the NEXT verses. Matthew 25:41-46 BOOM!

It's the eternal fire for you!

Offline stuffin

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2014, 09:34:06 AM »
Obviously there are two Jesus(s). 

There is there real Homeless Jesus of the Bible.

And

There is the Jesus people know and love.
I'd cut him if he stands, and I'd shoot him if he'd run
 Yes I'd kill him with my Bible and my razor and my gun

Poverty is the parent of revolution and crime.
Aristotle

Offline wheels5894

• Reader
  • Darwins +106/-1
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2014, 09:42:29 AM »
Obviously there are two Jesus(s). 

There is there real Homeless Jesus of the Bible.

And

There is the Jesus people know and love.

Yep, and the former is a dark skinned Palestinian so quite unsuitable for the white Bible Belt Christians!  :D
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)