Author Topic: Atheists court GOP at annual meeting of crazies  (Read 296 times)

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +708/-28
  • Karma mooch
Atheists court GOP at annual meeting of crazies
« on: February 26, 2014, 08:06:53 AM »
Atheists to have booth at CPAC
http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2014/02/25/atheists-plan-conservative-outreach-with-booth-at-cpac/?hpt=us_c2

While I make no bones about loathing the GOP in general, I think reaching out to conservatives is good.  I question the venue, however, CPAC is for the crazies.  In the past, its organizers have forbidden gay conservatives from even showing up.  This year they are allowed to show up, but they cannot have a booth, and they cannot identify themselves as gay in any way.

Oops!  I typed too soon:
UPDATE: CPAC reversed their decision and will not allow American Atheists to have an exhibition booth at the conservative conference.

typical.

edit: linkypoo for update http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2014/02/25/cpac-reverses-decision-will-not-allow-atheists-at-conservative-conference/
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 08:09:11 AM by screwtape »
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +354/-85
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Atheists court GOP at annual meeting of crazies
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 08:12:06 AM »
I read about that this morning. It confirms that the GOP is a Christian political group now. I feel sorry for the Jews, Muslims, atheists, etc., who say they are Republicans because the GOP don't care about them.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +78/-23
Re: Atheists court GOP at annual meeting of crazies
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 12:00:08 AM »
I know gay conservatives and I know atheist conservatives. I've heard tale that there are minorities who are conservative. Hell, I think I know of one gay atheist conservative but I don't think any of them identify as Republican. For me it proves that the Republican party doesn't have 100% control over what it means to be conservative. If the media continues to define conservatism solely in terms of white Southern Baptist hellfire and brimstone then the Republicans are utterly doomed as a party. But then again...isn't that the goal?

I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.