Author Topic: Would ET be an Atheist?  (Read 171 times)

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +297/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Would ET be an Atheist?
« on: February 21, 2014, 04:31:28 AM »
ET PHONES GOD AND GETS NO ANSWER
If aliens ever visit us, will they be atheists? Richard Dawkins is certain that they will and has tweeted as much: "If we ever talk to aliens, their civilisation will be far more advanced than ours (because of distances involved). They won't be religious!"

Obviously, this is just another way to express the belief that religion is a delusion which we must outgrow to survive. But won't the aliens who visit us have some reason to do so? And won't their reasons come to them in the form of stories and hopes, reinforced by ritual?

Even in Star Trek the strictly logical characters are the exception among a crew much given to ritual and myth. What else could make them boldly go?

And if we have a choice, it would be better to be visited by aliens with a sense that the cosmos wanted them to explore it and to find new things, rather than those who knew exactly what they wanted from our planet: that – since they'd be so much more advanced than us – could only be raw materials.

Do you believe aliens are atheists or otherwise?

God/s are a human concept as far as everyone knows (except religious people) so, I think they would be.

The problem with the Star Trek analogy is that man created that, too. We can't expect our thoughts of what aliens would do if they came here would be what they'd do. Also, if they were actually more advanced and intelligent than us: they wouldn't come here, at all. Not because we'd kick their ass in a war but that it'd be sad if at least one of us, especially a religious nut, would influence them in any way.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously.

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +89/-2
  • WWGHA Member
Re: Would ET be an Atheist?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 06:31:29 AM »

<snip>
 Also, if they were actually more advanced and intelligent than us: they wouldn't come here, at all. Not because we'd kick their ass in a war but that it'd be sad if at least one of us, especially a religious nut, would influence them in any way.

-Nam

I doubt they would be influenced by religious nuts. Maybe, if they were that far advanced, they could even provide the empirical proof that there is no god and answer the currently scientifically unanswerable questions.

Wouldn't it be great if when asked about the big bang, abiogenesis etc by theists ET could say "yeah this is how it happens, my kid made me one at school."

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +297/-82
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 06:35:02 AM »
Fundamentalists don't listen to humans who show evidence, what makes you think ET would magically change their minds?

And all it would take is one to be corrupted.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously.

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +89/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 06:43:29 AM »
True. I hope that a flawless explanation would sway fundies but, yeah, they're not open to new evidence unless it backs up their claim.

Not sure whether they would get corrupted. If they had never experienced religion they would think it was clearly bollocks. If they had started as a religious culture maybe they would know the cure.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +297/-82
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 07:03:54 AM »
True. I hope that a flawless explanation would sway fundies but, yeah, they're not open to new evidence unless it backs up their claim.

Not sure whether they would get corrupted. If they had never experienced religion they would think it was clearly bollocks. If they had started as a religious culture maybe they would know the cure.

See, this is the problem with the article, as well. We don't know what'd they think or do, just a body of assumptions but I think one could assume that Radio Waves travel pretty far, so, maybe they'd pick them up on the way, decipher it, and go my route, or they'd embrace it and go another route, or just think we're all loons and stick a warning buoy to our galaxy, and never even discuss about coming to Earth.

-Nam

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +89/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 07:41:38 AM »
yup, there's every chance that they would be entirely unlike us so no real assumptions can be made.
Including assumptions of their intentions. So we can't really say whether they would avoid us or if we were exactly what they were looking for.
I looked at the radio wave link. Thanks for that. From what I gather, we cant even assume that anyone would be able hear us due to the inverse square law. So maybe they would come across us by accident or because they detected water in the earths atmosphere without even realising there were monkey people in residence.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +297/-82
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 08:40:44 AM »
yup, there's every chance that they would be entirely unlike us so no real assumptions can be made.
Including assumptions of their intentions. So we can't really say whether they would avoid us or if we were exactly what they were looking for.
I looked at the radio wave link. Thanks for that. From what I gather, we cant even assume that anyone would be able hear us due to the inverse square law. So maybe they would come across us by accident or because they detected water in the earths atmosphere without even realising there were monkey people in residence.

Well, they could have a big antenna. Woo-ha-ha-ha. ;)

-Nam

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 09:02:23 AM »
Yeah, I have to go against Dawkins here. What if they were a monoculture? A monoculture that had a religion that was pro science? They could be pro science, but have no version of Occam's razor and thus leap frog traditional rules of logic.
Or their relgion could be some sort of ancestor worship. Or be a cargo cult that has otherwise 1950s technology, but copies of a FTL drive that they otherwise have no understanding of. Or one the was once presided over by a Q like being who eventually got bored and left.

I can imagine numerous scenarios that would involve religious FTL aliens. His statement seems more likely, but not exceedingly so.

An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +297/-82
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2014, 09:16:59 AM »
It's also plausible that they may have an advanced society yet haven't travelled into space, or never have the inclination to. Or do but instead of going to the Milkey Way[1] they could go to another part of their own galaxy and/or to one that's not ours.

There are so many possibilities to flat out state something as a strong opinion or fact is ridiculous, in my weak opinion.

-Nam
 1. if not already in it