Author Topic: Sex and Evolution - featuring.... sperm!  (Read 232 times)

Offline shnozzola

Sex and Evolution - featuring.... sperm!
« on: February 19, 2014, 07:57:19 PM »
A good look at the male side of evolution - why did things evolve to have a male and female?  Species that have only one sex and why that is.  Good radiolab.
Sperm carry half the genes needed for human life. In this hour of Radiolab, some basic questions and profound thoughts about reproduction.

To begin: why so many sperm? We turn to the animal kingdom for answers, which lands us on a tour of sperm battles in ducks, flying pig sperm, and promiscuous whippoorwills. Next, we ponder fatherhood, and wonder...in a world where sperm can be frozen and kept for all eternity...what the future holds for men. We end quietly, in a stark sonic space with a widow struggling to keep some essence of her husband alive.

http://www.radiolab.org/story/91646-sperm/?utm_source=local&utm_media=treatment&utm_campaign=daMost&utm_content=damostviewed
“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something."  ~ T. H. White
  The real holy trinity:  onion, celery, and bell pepper ~  all Cajun Chefs

Offline SevenPatch

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +108/-4
  • A source will help me understand.
Re: Sex and Evolution - featuring.... sperm!
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 08:41:30 PM »
Was there any doubt that this would be posted, might as well get it out of the way eh?  :)

"Shut him up! We have a lot invested in this ride - SHUT HIM UP! Look at my furrows of worry! Look at my big bank account, and my family! This just HAS to be real!" - Bill Hicks