Author Topic: "Theists know God, Atheist don't" is a fact.  (Read 7441 times)

Offline Boots

• Reader
  • Darwins +95/-0
  • Living the Dream
Re: "Theists know God, Atheist don't" is a fact.
« Reply #261 on: February 26, 2014, 04:25:15 PM »

We know God is not easy to know otherwise everyone would know,

We don't even know a god exists.

And out of say 12 disciples maybe only 1 will do every thing to know.

You picked that number for a specific reason.  Be honest--what was it?
1. We know the word exists.

We know the words "Darth Vader" exist too.  What's your point?

2. No It is my story - it is entertainment that has a human relations point.

um, what?
* Religion: institutionalized superstition, period.

"Many of my ultra-conservative Republican friends...have trouble accepting the idea God is not a Republican. " ~OldChurchGuy

"We humans may never figure out the truth, but I prefer trying to find it over pretending we know it."  ~ParkingPlaces

Online Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +515/-18
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #262 on: February 26, 2014, 04:26:53 PM »
[...retelling of the story of the blind men and the elephant retold ...]   
Master Yoda explains there is an egotistic path to the dark side one of anger that leads to suffering, and the other through awareness leads to Inner Peace with the force.
Master Yoda, you and everyone else, learned from the experiences of others. What's your point?

Are you trying to tell us that we need some "Master" to tell us about God? Because if you are, I'm going to ask, "1. What makes the Master, another man, any different from you. 2. Where did the "Master" get his knowledge of a God that is only seen by the dead?"
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline bertatberts

• Reader
  • Darwins +48/-8
  • Humanists. Not perfect. Not forgiven. Responsible.
« Reply #263 on: February 26, 2014, 04:27:00 PM »
Jesuis, you're most definitely a troll. No doubt about it, your post prove that.
We theists have no evidence for our beliefs. So no amount of rational evidence will dissuade us from those beliefs. - JCisall

It would be pretty piss poor brainwashing, if the victims knew they were brainwashed, wouldn't it? - Screwtape. 04/12/12

Offline wheels5894

• Reader
  • Darwins +106/-1
« Reply #264 on: February 26, 2014, 04:42:26 PM »

<snip>

One student left the group and - went to the village telling everyone he knows sugar. The people are inquisitive cause this guy is a student of mine. When they ask him what it is. He has no clue but a word. So in order to save face he made stuff up. He gave it form and character.   <bigger snip>

Well, Jesuis, you may have got a lot wrong and so on but the above is back on the nail! It is a description of theists. They come here and tell us stuff about gods that just has to be made up as it doesn't come in holy books or anywhere else.

No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)

Offline Jesuis

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +10/-160
  • WWGHA Member
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #265 on: February 26, 2014, 04:58:59 PM »
Quote from: Jesuis
My point is in my Title - Theists say they know god.  They have not written any real descriptions of God as far as I know. The generation followers down the line make stuff up.

So how can you state that "theists know god" is a factual statement? 
Because they are still doing so today. Its not like they are not existent. They have not died and gone away. They are real people teaching what they know. ie God.

I find myself concurring with Greybeard: please define "know" as you are using it, because it seems different to the sense in which everyone else does.  Now, you may be right, and we carry too much baggage to accept your use of the word.  So you need to break it down and explain clearly what you mean, rather than resorting to the mystical woo you used above.
Its knowledge base - reading books - reading internet info about the theists of past and present. They say they know God. Out of respect for what they say I proposed the tittle. I have repeatedly said that.
The Title is respectful of both knowers on how they say they know.

Quote from: Jesuis
When that which is spiritual leaves the physical it dies - It has a predetermined time in matter - then the physical merges back into the matter dirt and our consciousness merges back into the all consciousness God.

Interesting phrase for an atheist.  Is that what you know, or is that what theists claim they know?
It is what Theists say they know. I have presented these books on what they say they know. It is for us to say "they claim to know" but we have to recognise that this statement is us and it is different from what they are saying. We need to recognise that difference -- of two individuals Theists and atheists. The evidence is clear of how they both know what they know. Atheists through book knowledge and theists through self introspection.
According to Theists: Theists know God, Atheists don't.

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +347/-7
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #266 on: February 26, 2014, 05:08:55 PM »
Are you confused what was written here?

Holy sh...Did you read what the f*ck I posted?  Because the entire crux of my post was basically saying yes, I was confused.

For f*ck's sake.

Or about something else?
I will gladly follow your logic if you build it up for me.
It seems as though I am trying to take everyone onto level 10 when some people are on level one. My problem is having to debate with every in the class at the same time. Can you see that is what the problem is?

The problem is that you are not making yourself understandable, and making no attempts to help close that gap.  If you truly believe that you're 'trying to take everyone onto level 10 when some people are on level one', you know what?  F*CKING DUMB IT DOWN THEN.

For f*ck's sake.

May I suggest a truce . Perhaps we have a step first principle to build upon. I'll sit back and let you do the talking.

No.  No, Vishnu-damn-it all to hellSITTING BACK AND LETTING ME TALK will do nothing to help you make yourself more clear.  The problem is you and your inability to communicate.

For f*ck's sake.

Teach me what you know rather than expect me to teach you.
Pretend I do not know anything? I'll ask questions and you answer them.
How do you know anything?

My views on epistemology are irrelevant to your inability to communicate, so I see no reason to espouse them.
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."
- Eddie Izzard

Offline Jesuis

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +10/-160
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #267 on: February 26, 2014, 05:09:43 PM »
Master Yoda explains there is an egotistic path to the dark side one of anger that leads to suffering, and the other through awareness leads to Inner Peace with the force.
Master Yoda, you and everyone else, learned from the experiences of others. What's your point?

Are you trying to tell us that we need some "Master" to tell us about God? Because if you are, I'm going to ask, "1. What makes the Master, another man, any different from you. 2. Where did the "Master" get his knowledge of a God that is only seen by the dead?"
1. Yes - only if we want to know God. If we have that need. We don't do we?
2. There is nothing physical that makes the Theist any different than us. He has learned about God from his Teacher/Master. (Quote: Yoda - There is always a master and a disciple).

Offline Jesuis

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +10/-160
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #268 on: February 26, 2014, 05:14:15 PM »
Jesuis, you're most definitely a troll. No doubt about it, your post prove that.
Can I stop posting to your questions now? Having exposed your hand. You have your belief and that's that. Nothing I say is going to change that. Am I correct?

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +280/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #269 on: February 26, 2014, 05:16:00 PM »
Because they are still doing so today. Its not like they are not existent. They have not died and gone away. They are real people teaching what they know. ie God.

Not according to your signature.

Quote from: A theist's (Jesuis's) signature
A theist knows God, that makes all of us Atheists.
Bold mine for emphasis.
It's wrong, hilariously so, but those are your words.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline Jesuis

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +10/-160
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #270 on: February 26, 2014, 05:32:47 PM »
<snip>
One student left the group and - went to the village telling everyone he knows sugar. The people are inquisitive cause this guy is a student of mine. When they ask him what it is. He has no clue but a word. So in order to save face he made stuff up. He gave it form and character.   <bigger snip>

Well, Jesuis, you may have got a lot wrong and so on but the above is back on the nail! It is a description of theists. They come here and tell us stuff about gods that just has to be made up as it doesn't come in holy books or anywhere else.
But the conclusion is made by the people like you and me who hear the word God. The theists are not saying it is made up - we are. Aren't we? Aren't you?
Some of us have book concepts but it has no truths. We speak about God but have no clue what it is.

What exactly are the theists saying is the point I am making. They are saying in the present day in the books written by their disciples that God is Formless, All conscious, All powerful, Everywhere, Truth, Love, Timeless. stuff like that. The books that gave you have a concept cannot be asked about God - it is a book - you cannot ask the book to confirm --- it is not a theist. A theist is always the knower of God. He can say what he knows.  We can write or read but that does not make us knowers - we still have no concept of God from these processes. If we start making stories up about the formless it is because we are deceiving ourselves and others.
Thus I am an atheist and so are you.

Offline bertatberts

• Reader
  • Darwins +48/-8
  • Humanists. Not perfect. Not forgiven. Responsible.
« Reply #271 on: February 26, 2014, 05:38:47 PM »
Can I stop posting to your questions now? Having exposed your hand. You have your belief and that's that. Nothing I say is going to change that. Am I correct?
If you had answered any of them that would have been a first, instead you just posted gobbledeegook and word salad.
I thought you were a troll a long time ago, I even stated such,[1] you have done nothing to change my mind.

1. (post #114)
We theists have no evidence for our beliefs. So no amount of rational evidence will dissuade us from those beliefs. - JCisall

It would be pretty piss poor brainwashing, if the victims knew they were brainwashed, wouldn't it? - Screwtape. 04/12/12

Offline Jesuis

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +10/-160
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #272 on: February 26, 2014, 05:40:54 PM »
My views on epistemology are irrelevant to your inability to communicate, so I see no reason to espouse them.
Googled it.
Has it ever resolved any questions on God?  Do we need new a new approach?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 05:44:13 PM by Jesuis »

Offline Jesuis

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +10/-160
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #273 on: February 26, 2014, 05:43:04 PM »
If you had answered any of them that would have been a first, instead you just posted gobbledeegook and word salad.
I thought you were a troll a long time ago, I even stated such,[1] you have done nothing to change my mind.
 1. (post #114)
Isn't a mind set a rigid belief? Can anyone change a mind set?

Offline Jesuis

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +10/-160
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #274 on: February 26, 2014, 05:50:46 PM »
Thanks for the time guys. I realize that I have nothing more to share.
You know what you because you know. 
I leave my foot print as one of those who wasted your time.

See you around. Ill probably pop in once a week. Take care.
Thanks for the entertainment.

PS:- See if you can live your lives in peace and harmony with your mindset.
Take care all.

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +347/-7
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #275 on: February 26, 2014, 05:55:42 PM »
Thanks for the time guys. I realize that I have nothing more to share.
You know what you because you know. 
I leave my foot print as one of those who wasted your time.

See you around. Ill probably pop in once a week. Take care.
Thanks for the entertainment.

Take care all.

So.  In summary:

Jesuis: <random assortment of words assembled in a sentence-like structure>
Everyone else: "What are you trying to say?  We don't understand what you're talking about.  It's hard to have a conversation or discussion when you aren't effectively communicating."
Jesuis: "You're all close-minded and stuck in your ways."
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."
- Eddie Izzard

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
  • Residential Tulpamancer.
« Reply #276 on: February 26, 2014, 06:59:19 PM »
In summary.

"BLAH BLAH BLAH, twisted definitions, bullshit, trolling (or utter stupidity)."

"May you please communicate better? We want to know what you mean."

"Lol, cya gies, me has to go now, seeya bake latter."

This is what i see...*shrugs*
Rule 1: No pooftas. Rule 2: No maltreating the theists, IF, anyone is watching. Rule 3: No pooftas. Rule 4: I do not want to see anyone NOT drinking after light out. Rule 5: No pooftas. Rule 6: There is NO...rule 6.

Online SevenPatch

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +108/-4
  • A source will help me understand.
« Reply #277 on: February 26, 2014, 07:12:33 PM »

Oh man, it's so hard to live my life in peace and harmony. 

A day in the life of someone who doesn't think that "Theists" know god:

Well this morning, I woke up to the sound of my alarm, so I picked it up and violently threw it through the window.  Got ready for work, went outside to my car but first decided to set a bag of kittens on fire in my front yard.  While driving to work I ran over an elderly lady and wrecked into a few cars for shits and giggles too.  At work, I beat up a coworker for no reason, threw my monitor across the room because it was slightly brighter than yesterday, ate someone elses lunch and then told them to "F*ck off" when they asked me about it.   

I'm just about done at work now, so I guess I'll drive home tonight, set another bag of kittens on fire in my front yard, and then harass my neighbors by throwing shit on their cars.  I'll then go to bed and start another fun filled day of failing to live in peace and harmony.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 07:14:29 PM by SevenPatch »
"Shut him up! We have a lot invested in this ride - SHUT HIM UP! Look at my furrows of worry! Look at my big bank account, and my family! This just HAS to be real!" - Bill Hicks

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +347/-7
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #278 on: February 26, 2014, 07:14:04 PM »
Oh man, it's so hard to live my life in peace and harmony. 

A day in the life of someone who doesn't think that "Theists" know god:

Well this morning, I woke up to the sound of my alarm, so I picked it up and violently threw it through the window.  Got ready for work, went outside to my car but first decided to set a bag of kittens on fire in my front yard.  While driving to work I ran over an elderly lady, swiped a few cars for shits and giggles too.  At work, I beat up a coworker for no reason, threw my monitor across the room because it was slightly brighter than yesterday, ate someone elses lunch and then told them to "F*ck off" when they asked me about it.   

I'm just about done at work now, so I guess I'll drive home tonight, set another back of kittens on fire in my front yard, and then harass my neighbors by throwing shit on their cars.  I'll then go to bed and start another fun filled day of failing to live in peace and harmony.

You forgot the baby eating.
- Eddie Izzard

Online SevenPatch

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +108/-4
  • A source will help me understand.
« Reply #279 on: February 26, 2014, 07:15:52 PM »

I've been having trouble finding any babies to eat lately.  I think the daycare workers are getting suspicious.
"Shut him up! We have a lot invested in this ride - SHUT HIM UP! Look at my furrows of worry! Look at my big bank account, and my family! This just HAS to be real!" - Bill Hicks

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +298/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #280 on: February 26, 2014, 07:33:07 PM »

I've been having trouble finding any babies to eat lately.  I think the daycare workers are getting suspicious.

Try KFC, I hear they are finger licking good there.

;)

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Online Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +515/-18
« Reply #281 on: February 26, 2014, 08:59:28 PM »

1. Yes - only if we want to know God. If we have that need. We don't do we?
2. There is nothing physical that makes the Theist any different than us. He has learned about God from his Teacher/Master. (Quote: Yoda - There is always a master and a disciple).
Do you want to read my post again? I think it would help you to answer.

Religious Masters are irrelevant. They can only tell you of the ramblings of other deluded people - They have no more relevance than the professor of Teletubbie anatomy.

I don't think that a rubber character from a movie is going to be a good example for a serious topic. Can you up your game?
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +219/-4
  • I can haz jeezusburger™
« Reply #282 on: February 26, 2014, 10:54:41 PM »
Take care all.

So, religion is all about living in peace and harmony. Sounds like something a human would want, not a god.

Just say atheists live life according to axioms that other humans don't want, which is what you are implying, then what consequences would that have? Would we not be able to surf the bogus Eck stream?
Humans, in general, don't waste any opportunity to be unfathomably stupid - Dr Cynical.

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #283 on: February 27, 2014, 05:06:28 AM »
Thank you for this, Jesuis.  I believe I understand where you are coming from - seems close to Buddhist Enlightenment.  I would like to focus on this particular sentence, with respect to the title you gave to this thread.

We know through being taught and through experiencing it. Not until we really know can we say we know anything.

Inserting this into your topic title, what you appear to be saying is:

"Theists know god through their experiencing of it.  Atheists do not know god, because they have not had that experience."

On the face of it, a reasonable statement - comparable to your lesson of the sugar: you cannot know sugar without experiencing it.[1]  Fair enough.

But can you understand that an AWFUL lot of the resistance to what you are saying - and the refusal to accept your claim that you are an atheist - lies exactly there?  Your "factual statement" that "theists KNOW god" (through experience) seems to be entirely accepting of the notion that there is, in fact, a god to know (same as there is, in fact, sugar to taste).

You claim to be atheist, but make a statement that you claim is fact, that there is a god that can be experienced.

Take a step back and honestly answer: can you understand why you are getting so much pushback on this subject?
 1. When I was studying Buddhism, the lesson for me was:
"How is the sweetness of a banana different to honey?  I would say "taste - THIS is banana, THIS is honey"
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline Jesuis

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +10/-160
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #284 on: February 27, 2014, 02:11:52 PM »
Thank you for this, Jesuis.  I believe I understand where you are coming from - seems close to Buddhist Enlightenment.  I would like to focus on this particular sentence, with respect to the title you gave to this thread.

We know through being taught and through experiencing it. Not until we really know can we say we know anything.

Inserting this into your topic title, what you appear to be saying is:

"Theists know god through their experiencing of it.  Atheists do not know god, because they have not had that experience."

On the face of it, a reasonable statement - comparable to your lesson of the sugar: you cannot know sugar without experiencing it.[1]  Fair enough.

But can you understand that an AWFUL lot of the resistance to what you are saying - and the refusal to accept your claim that you are an atheist - lies exactly there?  Your "factual statement" that "theists KNOW god" (through experience) seems to be entirely accepting of the notion that there is, in fact, a god to know (same as there is, in fact, sugar to taste).

You claim to be atheist, but make a statement that you claim is fact, that there is a god that can be experienced.

Take a step back and honestly answer: can you understand why you are getting so much pushback on this subject?
 1. When I was studying Buddhism, the lesson for me was:
"How is the sweetness of a banana different to honey?  I would say "taste - THIS is banana, THIS is honey"
The push back is based on nonsense.
It appears that they reject what others know based on that fact that can reject that they know.

I did not just reject that others know I made it clear that they do know.

You cannot reject sugar exists because you have not tasted it. People are saying it exists. Your logic is not sound.
Following your logic you will never accept sugar exists - it cannot exists because you have never seen it or tasted.
Those who have keep saying it exists. To know it exists requires a method of the self.

Offline wheels5894

• Reader
  • Darwins +106/-1
« Reply #285 on: February 27, 2014, 02:24:26 PM »

The push back is based on nonsense.
It appears that they reject what others know based on that fact that can reject that they know.

I did not just reject that others know I made it clear that they do know.

You cannot reject sugar exists because you have not tasted it. People are saying it exists. Your logic is not sound.
Following your logic you will never accept sugar exists - it cannot exists because you have never seen it or tasted.
Those who have keep saying it exists. To know it exists requires a method of the self.

The analogy doesn't quite work between god and sugar and the difference is most revealing.

Sugar is a common substance - even people who have never seen it before could easily obtain some to try. Besides it is far sale all over the world, extremely pure and experienced by most of the population who probably have it in their store cupboards.

God, on the other hand is only claimed to be common. Here we often meet theists of different religions and ask them for evidence of the god they believe in. There is never any evidence coming forward to support the existence of any god and all we are told is that it is real to a believer. In actual fact, the belief is in the head of the believer and the believer has no way of knowing if the god they think they believe in is actually the subconscious brain or if it is a separate, existing deity. This implies that every theist will have their own take on the god they claim to believe in. Maybe we can check that.

If we ask people all over the world what sugar is like we will get much the same answer - the sweetness etc. But ask about gods and the answers come in all sorts of shapes and sizes. Ask a Sufi and Wahabi Muslim  and you will fins that one takes part in singing as part of the prayer services while the other says such singing is blasphemous - and this is prayer to the same god. They cannot both have the same image of the god concerned. Why, too, would there be so many different Christian denominations / sects if they all believe in the identical god? Of course, they all say so but they all have different versions of the god in their heads.

So, the evidence is in favour of the gods people believe in being in their heads and there being to existing god. Thus we have to replace knowing with believing -i.e. Theists believe in a god and atheist don't. To go further would need someone to show an actual god exists.
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)

Offline Dante

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-9
  • Hedonist Extraordinaire
« Reply #286 on: February 27, 2014, 02:56:37 PM »

To reiterate what wheels said, in part:

One can be presented solid, physical evidence of sugar, One cannot be presented solid, physical evidence of gods.

Those who have keep saying it exists.

And that's all they do. They say it exists, but they don't present any evidence of existance. Big difference. How you can't see the difference is beyond my comprehension. But if you can't see that difference, then you are blind to reality.

To know it exists requires a method of the self.

And other hallucinogens.....if there's no evidence.

Actually it doesn't. One could conceivably be all-powerful but not exceptionally intelligent.

Online Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +515/-18
« Reply #287 on: February 27, 2014, 06:45:42 PM »

Would you care to explain that? Are you suggesting that you should sit and "think of something"?

If so, I will tell you that I am afraid that it is impossible to sit in a darkened room with no real information on a subject and yet come to a sound conclusion. All superstition is based upon an imagined, yet undetectable, force that emanates from an unseen being at an indeterminate distance from the observer and whose actions end up having a completely natural explanation.

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
  • Residential Tulpamancer.
« Reply #288 on: February 27, 2014, 07:34:04 PM »
*snip*

I am not going to let you pass.

Concede on your definition of atheist and theist, and concede on your claim of not being a theist.

Rule 1: No pooftas. Rule 2: No maltreating the theists, IF, anyone is watching. Rule 3: No pooftas. Rule 4: I do not want to see anyone NOT drinking after light out. Rule 5: No pooftas. Rule 6: There is NO...rule 6.

Offline stuffin

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #289 on: February 27, 2014, 09:19:52 PM »
I don't think he is a troll;

I think he a (MASTER) Christian who believes he has found an insidious subliminal method to infect us Atheists with God.

The shame of this is his MASTER has not taught him well regarding Atheists

Inappropriate commentary removed.  Please refrain from abusive posting in the future.  ~ Screwtape

Termination should be considered.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 09:57:37 AM by screwtape »
I'd cut him if he stands, and I'd shoot him if he'd run
 Yes I'd kill him with my Bible and my razor and my gun

Poverty is the parent of revolution and crime.
Aristotle