Author Topic: Snake Handling Pastor Dies  (Read 575 times)

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-1
Snake Handling Pastor Dies
« on: February 16, 2014, 11:47:56 AM »
http://www.tvguide.com/news/snake-salvation-jamie-coots-dies-1077843.aspx

Jamie Coots, a Kentucky pastor who starred on National Geographic Channel's Snake Salvation — a reality show about Pentecostal preachers who handle serpents as part of their services — died Saturday after being bitten by one of the snakes, Kentucky's WBIR reports.

I'm sure it's not the first or last time this has happened. God's plan or Darwin Award fodder?

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +284/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
Re: But I'm sure it was part of god's plan :)
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 12:10:37 PM »
God's plan or Darwin Award fodder?

Why not both? DA LAWD is the one who guides evolution, after all. Everything is obviously designed.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline Lectus

• Graduate
  • Darwins +18/-0
  • The messiah of mental freedom
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 12:39:12 PM »
Poor snake being used by religious nutcases shows instead of living in its own habitat.

At least this man was no hypocritical. He really practiced what the bible teaches.
Religion: The belief that an all powerful God or gods created the entire universe so that we tiny humans can be happy. And we also make war about it.

Offline voodoo child

• Reader
  • Darwins +10/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 01:52:05 PM »
The snake had the plan.        ;)
The classical man is just a bundle of routine, ideas and tradition. If you follow the classical pattern, you are understanding the routine, the tradition, the shadow, you are not understanding yourself. Truth has no path. Truth is living and therefore changing. Bruce lee

Offline cwschizzy

• Student
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • WWGHA Member
    • Absurdity in Religion
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 02:07:33 PM »
I bet the snake talked him through his services...
Belief is irrelevant; the truth is not a democracy.
facebook.com/AbsurdityinReligion

Offline shnozzola

Snake Handling Pastor Dies
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 03:06:44 PM »
A Kentucky pastor who starred in a reality show about handling snakes during church services, died Saturday night after a fatal snake bite, police said.

Coots was bitten at the church at 8:30 p.m. but died at his home two hours later, after refusing medical treatment “because of religious beliefs,” Miller said.

.....sigh.....

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/reality-show-snake-handling-pastor-dies-snake-bite-n31666
“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something."  ~ T. H. White
  The real holy trinity:  onion, celery, and bell pepper ~  all Cajun Chefs

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +284/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline wheels5894

• Reader
  • Darwins +106/-1
Re: Snake Handling Pastor Dies
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2014, 04:20:59 PM »
1. The guy should get a Darwin Award

2. Do we take it he was not a true believer on the basis he was handling snakes on the promise that believers won't suffer hard (Mark 16:17-18).
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)

Offline shnozzola

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2014, 04:24:24 PM »
can we just delete this (re) thread?
“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something."  ~ T. H. White

Offline mrbiscoop

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +31/-2
  • Faith is not a virtue!
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2014, 05:46:06 PM »
With all honesty and sincerity I hope the snake is okay. Otherwise good riddance.
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
              -Emo Philips

Offline OldChurchGuy

• Reader
  • Darwins +101/-2
  • One of those theists who enjoys exchanging ideas
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2014, 05:52:09 PM »
http://www.tvguide.com/news/snake-salvation-jamie-coots-dies-1077843.aspx

Jamie Coots, a Kentucky pastor who starred on National Geographic Channel's Snake Salvation — a reality show about Pentecostal preachers who handle serpents as part of their services — died Saturday after being bitten by one of the snakes, Kentucky's WBIR reports.

I'm sure it's not the first or last time this has happened. God's plan or Darwin Award fodder?

This is one of those win-win theologies.  He survived 2 other snake bites and so was confident in God's saving grace.  The fact he died merely means that God decided it was time for him to leave this earth. 

Here is a link with some more information.  It appears their theology is from that part of Marks gospel which was tacked on at a later period as the earliest known manuscripts do not have Mark 16:17-18. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snake_handling

Sincerely,

OldChurchGuy

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle - Philo of Alexandria

Whether one believes in a religion or not, and whether one believes in rebirth or not, there isn't anyone who doesn't appreciate kindness and compassion - Dalai Lama

Offline shnozzola

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2014, 06:59:50 PM »
This is one of those win-win theologies.  He survived 2 other snake bites and so was confident in God's saving grace.  The fact he died merely means that God decided it was time for him to leave this earth. 

Many in Christianity would call into question the testing of god (Matthew 4:1-11), but maybe that was just for Jesus.  I'm guessing your comment is sarcasm on your part, or it could go back to the 'why go to the doctor' at all argument, god's 'grace' and 'time to leave' earth being what they are.

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +104/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2014, 07:33:13 PM »
 Why would a God create a snake with venom toxic enough to kill a human.....or did evolution take care of that?
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +219/-4
  • I can haz jeezusburger™
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2014, 08:47:51 PM »
[18] They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

Mark actually says that they shall take up serpents. It's only the next sentence that implies that snakes can't kill you, but it's not stated. Taken literally, Christians should take up serpents and be killed by them.
Humans, in general, don't waste any opportunity to be unfathomably stupid - Dr Cynical.

Offline OldChurchGuy

• Reader
  • Darwins +101/-2
  • One of those theists who enjoys exchanging ideas
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2014, 08:51:18 PM »

Many in Christianity would call into question the testing of god (Matthew 4:1-11), but maybe that was just for Jesus.  I'm guessing your comment is sarcasm on your part, or it could go back to the 'why go to the doctor' at all argument, god's 'grace' and 'time to leave' earth being what they are.

The intent was indeed an attempt at humor / sarcasm. 

Sincerely,

OldChurchGuy
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle - Philo of Alexandria

Whether one believes in a religion or not, and whether one believes in rebirth or not, there isn't anyone who doesn't appreciate kindness and compassion - Dalai Lama

Offline Brad the Bold

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +17/-0
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2014, 12:35:50 PM »
That injects a bit of reality into his "reality TV show" doesn't it?

Oh, and he is far from the first serpent handling preacher to go out this way.

http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php/topic,22852.msg510231.html#msg510231

Must not have been a TRUE true believer.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 12:37:35 PM by Brad the Bold »

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +663/-28
  • Karma mooch
Snake handler dies from snakebite (what else?)
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2014, 08:40:04 AM »
This could also be headlined: Natural selection at work

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/02/16/us/snake-salvation-pastor-bite/index.html?iid=article_sidebar

(CNN) -- A Kentucky pastor who starred in a reality show about snake-handling in church has died -- of a snakebite.

Jamie Coots died Saturday evening after refusing to be treated, Middleborough police said.

On "Snake Salvation," the ardent Pentecostal believer said that he believed that a passage in the Bible suggests poisonous snakebites will not harm believers as long as they are anointed by God. The practice is illegal in most states, but still goes on, primarily in the rural South.

I am surprised by how infrequently these gits get bit and die.  Maybe they need more dangerous snakes? They should try Black Mambas. 

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Xero-Kill

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +10/-0
  • Wait... what?
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2014, 02:29:55 PM »
I wonder if the snake was put down... That would really piss me off because the snake had no say in any of it and was only acting to protect itself from what would be a downright terrifying experience to any of us. Can you imagine some lunatic snatching you from your home, stuffing you in a box and then taking you out and swinging you around while chanting some mystical nonsense? I would have bit him too!
"Our fathers were our models for God. If our fathers bailed, what does that tell you about God? You have to consider the possibility that God does not like you. He never wanted you. In all probability, he hates you. This is not the worst thing that can happen."

~Tyler Durden

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2014, 04:53:56 PM »
It feels a little creepy, the celebration of the death of a person because he was too mentally incompetent to understand bronze age mythology wasn't to be trusted to be factual.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.