Author Topic: Vigilance.  (Read 239 times)

Offline mrbiscoop

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +31/-2
  • Faith is not a virtue!
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
              -Emo Philips

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +79/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
Re: Vigilance.
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 10:07:28 PM »
Once again, the reactionaries see equal rights as a blow against their privileges. I have no sympathy for their xenophobia.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +323/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 11:04:47 PM »
This is what these idiots say, "We don't want the government in our business. As the government we feel we should be in everyone's business. We know what's best for all the people."

Also, when it comes to the federal government being in people's business when they're running the show--they have no problem overriding state rights to further their agendas.

Contradictory hypocrites.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +563/-17
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 12:04:47 AM »
It does, however, mean that they're ceding that the states which have legalized gay marriage were right to do so.  And more to the point, the Full Faith and Credit clause (Article 4, Section 1) undermines the point of trying to pass a law such as this to begin with.  A gay couple married in Massachusetts must be recognized as married by every other state, since marriage is a public act and no state has the right to treat any other state's public proceedings as invalid.  And it gives grounds to challenge the various state constitutional amendments declaring marriage as between a man and a woman, because they cannot override what the other states do.

This bill is tantamount to an admission that they've lost the fight and are simply trying to hold on as long as possible.

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +53/-0
  • IXNAY
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 11:32:57 AM »
This bill is tantamount to an admission that they've lost the fight and are simply trying to hold on as long as possible.

They lost the fight on January 20, 2009, and again on November 6, 2012...  They're still trying to make Obama a one term president.
There is no opinion so absurd that a preacher could not express it.
-- Bernie Katz

Offline G-Roll

• Graduate
  • Darwins +43/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 12:54:22 PM »
The point to remember is that despite any gerrymandering, voter suppression, or what have you people still vote for the talking heads of their ideology or political stance. Which in this case is bat guano. But bat guano in bat guano out. For whatever reason people out there feel gays shouldn’t be able to marry, poverty is just a fact of life, and that guns are the pillars of what makes Merica awesome. Of course they have much nicer names for their stance like defense of marriage rather than gays are icky so they need to go away act. Because the first sounds much nicer and you can really get behind that.

Whether it be the faux noise machine, religion, or whatever people believe that the fringe far rights ideas are the way to go. So they vote and it's enough of a percentage that it makes an impact to challenge what I consider rational, equal rights, and actual laws that make since. People buy what the far right are selling and happily fuck their fellow man at the voting station. IMHO that is the root of the problem and why we need vigilance in the first place. Yet.. good luck educating people about their views and beliefs.

LMAO to prove my point someone is reading this right now and is thinking that I am just some weak liberal who is going to ruin the country because I like the idea of helping people and taking action to ensure everyone has a slight chance of avoiding poverty, not getting shot in public gathering areas, and that all enjoy equal rights and privileges. Rather than just hiding behind the constitution and shrugging the whole concept off as this is how it is and it is normal procedure to be shot in a movie theater on a Friday night while minding your own business. That America (not Merica) is a country that says if you are not like me then you don’t get to enjoy the rights and privileges that I enjoy because they are not for you, my god says so.

To wrap this mess up on a positive note though so far the country isn’t buying what the fringe is selling and attempts to take us back to 1930 have failed. So most people don’t actually suck and care about humans/humanity enough to call BS on the talking heads of hate.