Author Topic: Why an eternal afterlife sucks summed up in one sentence  (Read 2591 times)

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
Re: Why an eternal afterlife sucks summed up in one sentence
« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2014, 08:41:33 AM »
There have been a lot of God believers that do many things to make this world a better place.  Belief does not keep me from doing what I can, it doesn't stop OCG.  I haven't gotten any help from an atheist organization while unemployed and fighting cancer they have all been non denominational spiritual based organizations.

Which atheist organisations did you go to for help that turned you down?

I am not aware that one exists Anf.  I did not mean that in a derogatory way, I'm just being honest.  I'm sure atheist donate to these charities.  I have gotten a lot of emotional support from this atheist community.  I should have mentioned that.

I have asked you previously to please not abbreviate my name.  I know you do not wish to spread unhappiness, so I'm sure this was an oversight that won't happen again.
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2014, 11:36:23 AM »
OK,  I am NOT a theist.  That being said I disagree with your entire premise in this argument.  You have chosen to define heaven as a perfect state of being that is provided by an omniscient creator.  Given these parameters, opportunity for personal growth, revelation, and meaning would, by definition, be provided,  Therefore, your definition of perfection is  woefully flawed and so is your analogy.

*sigh*
Did you read about the part where, if it's perfect, it must remain that way for eternity, or it will become imperfect? It doesn't matter what it offers; eternity will make you bored, eventually.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline SpaceTime

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #60 on: March 04, 2014, 01:00:03 PM »
OK,  I am NOT a theist.  That being said I disagree with your entire premise in this argument.  You have chosen to define heaven as a perfect state of being that is provided by an omniscient creator.  Given these parameters, opportunity for personal growth, revelation, and meaning would, by definition, be provided,  Therefore, your definition of perfection is  woefully flawed and so is your analogy.

*sigh*
Did you read about the part where, if it's perfect, it must remain that way for eternity, or it will become imperfect? It doesn't matter what it offers; eternity will make you bored, eventually.
If it has the ability to make you bored, then it is not perfect.
In my opinion, for we to fit in a perfect environment we would have to be made perfect as well, so that we aren't prone to this kind of flaw, e.g boredom.

Also in my opinion, death sounds infinitely much more perfect, pleasant, and of course, natural than any idea of after-life. I love my life, but things comes to an end. And death of counsciousness looks way better than being trapped in existance for eternity, without the choice to turn it off.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-37
« Reply #61 on: March 04, 2014, 01:27:51 PM »
If it has the ability to make you bored, then it is not perfect.

This is not a limitation of Heaven, but a limitation of the human mind. Even if there's an infinite number of things to do, eternity means you will eventually run out of things to try. Even if you like a few (or even many) things enough to try them for one year, or ten, or a thousand, or a billion without stopping, it's still not enough. It's eternity. I don't think you understand just how long that is.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

Offline SpaceTime

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #62 on: March 04, 2014, 02:18:33 PM »
This is not a limitation of Heaven, but a limitation of the human mind. Even if there's an infinite number of things to do, eternity means you will eventually run out of things to try. Even if you like a few (or even many) things enough to try them for one year, or ten, or a thousand, or a billion without stopping, it's still not enough. It's eternity. I don't think you understand just how long that is.
Yes, that's why I wrote second sentence. For it to be perfect it would need us to be made perfect too, to get rid of our flaws, like boredom for instance.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-37
« Reply #63 on: March 04, 2014, 02:24:12 PM »
Yes, that's why I wrote second sentence. For it to be perfect it would need us to be made perfect too, to get rid of our flaws, like boredom for instance.

If a perfect place must make you change in order to accept it, it's not perfect, is it?
We choose our own gods.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +925/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #64 on: March 04, 2014, 04:48:11 PM »

If a perfect place must make you change in order to accept it, it's not perfect, is it?

Well, it's still perfect, just not perfect for us. Pretty much like the rest of the universe. &)
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +73/-86
  • "Question Everything"
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #65 on: March 05, 2014, 12:01:19 PM »
There have been a lot of God believers that do many things to make this world a better place.  Belief does not keep me from doing what I can, it doesn't stop OCG.  I haven't gotten any help from an atheist organization while unemployed and fighting cancer they have all been non denominational spiritual based organizations.

I am not aware that one exists Anf.  I did not mean that in a derogatory way, I'm just being honest.  I'm sure atheist donate to these charities.  I have gotten a lot of emotional support from this atheist community.  I should have mentioned that.

I have asked you previously to please not abbreviate my name.  I know you do not wish to spread unhappiness, so I'm sure this was an oversight that won't happen again.

You also said we were starting a clean slate.  I guess you didn't mean that.  Children are dying and you're concerned about someone abbreviating your name because they are not your friend for no good reason.  Thanks for the suffering ANFAUGLIR.  Anyway that's your problem not mine.  I'm not going to make it mine.

Too bad you don't care if you make someone unhappy. 

Anfauglir you did not support me through chemo treatment.  Why not?  Hate me too much?

Joy still,

JB
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 12:04:16 PM by junebug72 »
Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man.
Thomas Paine

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/t/thomas_paine.html#XXwlhVIMq06zWg2d.99

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #66 on: March 06, 2014, 03:28:01 AM »
.....you're concerned about someone abbreviating your name because they are not your friend for no good reason. 

You don't feel that people have the right to choose who their friends are?  You seem inordinately upset by my simple request that you don't use the familiar version of my name.  Why is that level if intimacy with me so important to you?

Interestingly, its one of my regularly unanswered questions about the afterlife, where everyone is happy and does the things that want.  But supposing there are two people in the afterlife with conflicting desires?  Say, person A wants to talk to person B, but person B does not want to talk to person A.  Which person will be disappointed in the afterlife?

I've yet to have a believer in a perfect and wonderful afterlife give me a coherent answer to that statement.
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #67 on: March 06, 2014, 03:52:39 AM »
I haven't gotten any help from an atheist organization while unemployed and fighting cancer they have all been non denominational spiritual based organizations.

I am not aware that one exists.  I did not mean that in a derogatory way, I'm just being honest.  I'm sure atheist donate to these charities.  I have gotten a lot of emotional support from this atheist community.  I should have mentioned that.

Apparently I dodged here - I hadn't seen any questions posed of me?  If you can let me know what you believe I dodged, I will address it.

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +73/-86
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #68 on: March 06, 2014, 12:50:14 PM »
^^You dodged the point Anfauglir.  The point.^^

JB

Thomas Paine

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/t/thomas_paine.html#XXwlhVIMq06zWg2d.99

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +73/-86
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #69 on: March 06, 2014, 12:55:51 PM »
.....you're concerned about someone abbreviating your name because they are not your friend for no good reason. 

You don't feel that people have the right to choose who their friends are?  You seem inordinately upset by my simple request that you don't use the familiar version of my name.  Why is that level if intimacy with me so important to you?

Interestingly, its one of my regularly unanswered questions about the afterlife, where everyone is happy and does the things that want.  But supposing there are two people in the afterlife with conflicting desires?  Say, person A wants to talk to person B, but person B does not want to talk to person A.  Which person will be disappointed in the afterlife?

I've yet to have a believer in a perfect and wonderful afterlife give me a coherent answer to that statement.

The post in which you asked me not to abbreviate your name was far far far from simple.  It was atrocious to say the least.  There was no evidence of all the things humans describe as good behavior in that post.

Why would person A not want to talk to person B?

Smiles,

JB

Thomas Paine

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +73/-86
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #70 on: March 06, 2014, 12:59:40 PM »

Whatever gave you that idea One?  I have never heard this doctrine before...

Smiles,

JB
Thomas Paine

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-37
« Reply #71 on: March 06, 2014, 01:18:08 PM »

If it's perfect, it's perfect for everyone. That means no change is necessary from anyone. Otherwise it's not perfect. It's "pretty" perfect, which is far from perfect.

Smiles,

Curse you (people who sign their comments) and your modifiers!
Um... Ever-learning,

JB

One
We choose our own gods.

Offline Truth OT

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-7
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #72 on: March 06, 2014, 03:50:44 PM »

Look, if we're going by what the Bible says, we're gonna end up in contradiction land.

But what does the Bible actually say about eternity? From what I've read, not enough to make any real determinations.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-37
« Reply #73 on: March 06, 2014, 03:55:04 PM »

Look, if we're going by what the Bible says, we're gonna end up in contradiction land.

But what does the Bible actually say about eternity? From what I've read, not enough to make any real determinations.

*headdesk*
I said we'd end up in contradiction land. You quoted me saying we'd end up in contradiction land. Why in My name would you ask what the Bible says?
We choose our own gods.

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #74 on: March 07, 2014, 03:55:15 AM »
^^You dodged the point Anfauglir.  The point.^^

Sorry, I still need some help here.  Really not sure what the "point" was that you expected me to reply to?

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #75 on: March 07, 2014, 04:20:34 AM »
The post in which you asked me not to abbreviate your name was far far far from simple.  It was atrocious to say the least.  There was no evidence of all the things humans describe as good behavior in that post.

If you feel that strongly about it, why do you still want to establish a level of intimacy with me by using the diminuitive version of my name?  I'm sorry if my honestly held opinions were unpalatable to you, and I am doing my best (as you noted) to start with a clean slate.  But I have to say, I feel we are a long way from being bestest chums, which is why I am still requesting that you please refrain from using an affectionate diminutive that I prefer to keep for a particular circle of friends.

....one of my regularly unanswered questions about the afterlife, where everyone is happy and does the things that want.  But supposing there are two people in the afterlife with conflicting desires?  Say, person A wants to talk to person B, but person B does not want to talk to person A.  Which person will be disappointed in the afterlife?

Why does that matter?  I'd hesitate to say dodge, but......  I'm sure you are not trying to tell me that every person, all the time, is happy to talk to every other person, so my point remains: what if there are two people in the afterlife who have conflicting wishes as to the level of interaction they have?  Which one gets disappointed?

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +73/-86
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #76 on: March 07, 2014, 01:34:01 PM »

If it's perfect, it's perfect for everyone. That means no change is necessary from anyone. Otherwise it's not perfect. It's "pretty" perfect, which is far from perfect.

Smiles,

Curse you (people who sign their comments) and your modifiers!
Um... Ever-learning,

JB

One

What makes you think you have to change?  The bible?  You know you did not write that book.   

You should try it, it's fun.  Sorry I did not mean to upset you.  Can I give you a lamb?  I wouldn't if I could. hahaha

JB

Thomas Paine

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-37
« Reply #77 on: March 07, 2014, 01:37:41 PM »
What makes you think you have to change?  The bible?

I've already explained my reasoning. Basically, boredom is inevitable if you have an unlimited amount of time and a limited amount of things to do, which would be the case with Heaven, according to christians.

You know you did not write that book.   

What makes you think that?

You should try it, it's fun.  Sorry I did not mean to upset you.

I meant the whole "curse you" thing as a joke.

Can I give you a lamb?  I wouldn't if I could. hahaha

I don't have any use for lamb, so that's OK.

JB

One
We choose our own gods.

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +73/-86
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #78 on: March 07, 2014, 01:48:01 PM »

If you feel that strongly about it, why do you still want to establish a level of intimacy with me by using the diminuitive version of my name?  I'm sorry if my honestly held opinions were unpalatable to you, and I am doing my best (as you noted) to start with a clean slate.  But I have to say, I feel we are a long way from being bestest chums, which is why I am still requesting that you please refrain from using an affectionate diminutive that I prefer to keep for a particular circle of friends.

I think it's petty with so many other problems in the world that you would nick pick an abbreviation of your name.  I am not trying to develop intimacy with you but save myself a few keys on the keyboard.  I will, however, honor your request.  It's not something I make a big deal about but not everybody is like me; so I will honor you.

Why does that matter?  I'd hesitate to say dodge, but......  I'm sure you are not trying to tell me that every person, all the time, is happy to talk to every other person, so my point remains: what if there are two people in the afterlife who have conflicting wishes as to the level of interaction they have?  Which one gets disappointed?

It matters a great deal.  I don't believe that is possible.  Two people not wanting to interact in heaven sounds irrational.  I can't think of 1 scenario where that could happen.  I'll make sure I'm far away so you can enjoy your eternity Anfauglir.

Peace,

JB
Thomas Paine

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +73/-86
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #79 on: March 07, 2014, 01:49:32 PM »
What makes you think you have to change?  The bible?

I've already explained my reasoning. Basically, boredom is inevitable if you have an unlimited amount of time and a limited amount of things to do, which would be the case with Heaven, according to christians.

You know you did not write that book.   

What makes you think that?

You should try it, it's fun.  Sorry I did not mean to upset you.

I meant the whole "curse you" thing as a joke.

Can I give you a lamb?  I wouldn't if I could. hahaha

I don't have any use for lamb, so that's OK.

JB

One

I think you're better than that!

I know, I joked back.  hahahahaha 

I'm glad I dodged that bullet.

JB
Thomas Paine

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-37
« Reply #80 on: March 07, 2014, 02:21:47 PM »
I think you're better than that!

I have a rich imagination. I could easily come up with things worse than what the Bible contains. Except Heaven and Hell. Those are just horrible.

I know, I joked back.  hahahahaha 

I wasn't sure about that, hence my reply.

I'm glad I dodged that bullet.

It's not like I'd hold you up to it or anything. :P

JB

One
We choose our own gods.

Offline Dominic

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +6/-9
« Reply #81 on: March 07, 2014, 04:08:20 PM »
Quote from: Phil Connors (Groundhog Day)
What would you do if every day was the same, and nothing you did mattered?

In case the sentence wasn't good enough, here's an explanation.

Heaven is supposed to be "perfect". Now, perfection cannot change, or it becomes imperfect. In other words, Heaven is exactly the same every single day. For eternity. In addition, whatever you do on Earth has already been predetermined (the omniscience problem), which means that nothing you do will change that, since it's what you were meant to do anyway.

Would any theists like to address this simple argument? I'm betting either nobody will, or that their arguments will be full of holes, as theist arguments are.

Do you like change ?  If yes, then change must exist in a perfect world.

But won't change mean that the perfect becomes imperfect ?  No.  The term perfect applies to the entirety of existence/reality and within that entire whole we demand change as part of an unlimited and free experience.

Change would lead to imperfection only if a change did some permanent harm or damage.  If all changes are reversible or if change is simply the holographic experience of a permanently safe and eternal soul then imperfection is simply apparent and not real.  Imagine the perfect virtual reality machine.

So perfection would require an experience along the lines of that described above (and lots more besides).

The big question is (I believe), do we have this experience already ?

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-37
« Reply #82 on: March 07, 2014, 04:20:18 PM »

If I'm the one who defines what's perfect, why don't you accept that perfection cannot change?
Imagine a human who excels at all things. And when I say "excels", I mean he/she is perfect at everything he/she tries. Now, could he/she improve? No, because perfection cannot be improved. Therefore, any change requires a loss of perfection. Quod erat demonstrandum.

But won't change mean that the perfect becomes imperfect ?  No.  The term perfect applies to the entirety of existence/reality and within that entire whole we demand change as part of an unlimited and free experience.

Prove that reality is perfect before making such an assertion.

Change would lead to imperfection only if a change did some permanent harm or damage.  If all changes are reversible or if change is simply the holographic experience of a permanently safe and eternal soul then imperfection is simply apparent and not real.  Imagine the perfect virtual reality machine.

So perfection would require an experience along the lines of that described above (and lots more besides).

The big question is (I believe), do we have this experience already ?

I've described above (two "sections") why perfection cannot change.
We choose our own gods.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +925/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #83 on: March 07, 2014, 04:41:37 PM »
The perfect afterlife would have to have perfect people in it, or it would not be perfect. Since the people who would be in the afterlife are not perfect now, they would have to be changed somehow. :? :-\

There are people with serious medical conditions that define their entire lives, like those kids with no immune system who had to live in a bubble. It is hard to imagine someone more deserving of a great afterlife! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Vetter 

But in the afterlife they would have to learn an entirely different way of being, where they can go places and touch people and eat whatever they want.  Would they just be magically adjusted to not being in the bubble anymore? If so, that is a pretty major change.

Those two people who do not want to speak to each other on earth[1] would somehow have to forget their differences or whatever to be able to speak to each other in the afterlife.That definitely implies that people would be very different in the afterlife, without what we consider normal human emotions.

No boredom, no anger, no greed, no pettiness, no jealousy, no allergies, no bad childhood abuse memories, no ambition, no sexual desires.[2]

It seems to me that each person would have to be in a separate after life, each populated by beings like the androids in Westworld.

As much as I like Yul Brynner..... :o

Doesn't all that make you think people would have to be changed rather dramatically for the afterlife? Even if you eliminated all disease, war and death. Otherwise, the afterlife would just be earth all over again, same people but with higher property values.
 1. say it was two women who liked the same guy and one married him
 2. unless everyone you wanted would also be automatically willing to have sex with you like the 72 virgins of Islamic mythology
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Dominic

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +6/-9
« Reply #84 on: March 07, 2014, 11:33:05 PM »

If I'm the one who defines what's perfect, why don't you accept that perfection cannot change?
Imagine a human who excels at all things. And when I say "excels", I mean he/she is perfect at everything he/she tries. Now, could he/she improve? No, because perfection cannot be improved. Therefore, any change requires a loss of perfection. Quod erat demonstrandum.

No change (to me) means no movement, no thought, no experience!  In that state, being 'perfect at everything' would have no practical meaning or use.

Perfection therefore must include change.

So being perfect at everything may be just one aspect of a perfect world or experience.

Another person may want their perfect world to be where they are constantly getting better at everything.

I think the solution to your logical conundrum is that it makes a mistaken assumption about what 'perfect' means.  Perfection, in my estimation, must include the ability to have any chosen experience - and almost every experience I can think of requires something that changes - eg movement, sensation, thought, feeling.

There may be a state where absolute stillness, motionlessness and even zero thought is found to be a thoroughly joyful thing - certain eastern belief systems strongly advocate something similar - but most of us if given the choice would like to have options, many, many options regarding experience in a 'perfect world' - with 99.9% of those options requiring change.

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #85 on: March 08, 2014, 01:56:53 AM »

I think it's petty with so many other problems in the world that you would nick pick an abbreviation of your name.  I am not trying to develop intimacy with you but save myself a few keys on the keyboard.  I will, however, honor your request.  It's not something I make a big deal about but not everybody is like me; so I will honor you.

Thank you.  Though I would suggest that the fact that we've gone back and forth for several posts means that perhaps it IS a big deal to you.  Are you seriously trying to tell me that what people call you doesn't bother you?  That, for example, it doesn't affect you at all when guys call "love" or "cupcake"?  (And, trivially, if you want to save yourself a few keystrokes, you could quit putting JB at the end of each post. We know who's typing, it says so with a picture to the left of each post).

Interesting you would try to make me feel "small" by saying "children are starving, don't be so obsessed with trivia".  This whole website, all these exchanges, aren't going to make a damn of different feeding the starving.  This month I send £200 to sponsor a child through the Mustard Seed school in Uganda - his name Kenneth Batwaze, from a peasant family who did not want to pay for his education.  He wants to be a lecturer when he grows up.

Point being....I'm doing the "big stuff" on a regular basis to make a difference.  I don't think it's TOO much to ask that people I don't count as friends don't use the nickname that I prefer to reserve for those who are.  I don't like salesmen who call me by my first name in an attempt to force intimacy in order to sell me stuff either.  It's a lack of respect - something I know that you are very keen on - so I am struggling to see why it's taken several posts to get you to the grudging and passive-aggressive agreement to call me by the name I'm asking you to call me?

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #86 on: March 08, 2014, 02:05:21 AM »

It matters a great deal.  I don't believe that is possible.  Two people not wanting to interact in heaven sounds irrational.  I can't think of 1 scenario where that could happen. I'll make sure I'm far away so you can enjoy your eternity Anfauglir

You really can't?  So....what?  There is such a narrow range of people in heaven that everyone wants exactly the same thing, all the time?  That's a very Christian viewpoint.  Or is it the case that people's personalities and desires are forcibly changed when they enter heaven?  Doesn't sound like "I" would be going to heaven, then, if the "me" that arrives there is magically different to the "me" that existed on Earth.  Or is your suggestion that heaven has to be rigorously segregated to avoid people encountering those with different tastes?

But you can't imagine a scenario....okay, how this one.  I've gone to heaven, and I would really like to talk to (insert name of famous dead person).  Not just a five minute chat, but a good few hours of discussion, maybe over dinner.  But this famous person is in heaven, enjoying their time with all their dead relatives.  They don't know me from Adam, and have no desire whatsoever to spend several hours in the company of a star-struck stranger.  So who gets disappointed?  Do I not get my dinner with the famous person?  Or do they have to spend time with someone they don't have any desire to?

Who gets disappointed?  Or, if you prefer, why could such a scenario never happen in heaven?