Author Topic: Crazy Magazine  (Read 440 times)

Online lotanddaughters

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +49/-21
  • Artist: Simon Vouet (1633)
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Crazy Magazine
« on: February 12, 2014, 06:56:30 PM »
I was at work and was talking to some 19-or-20-year-old young man about the Bill Nye vs. Ken Ham debate. This 61-year-old woman, who partially overheard our brief conversation, talked about how she had some interesting magazines about Creationism. The young man, wanting to be polite, said that he would love for her to give him some.

I knew that she was a fairly strong Christian before this incident, just by what I heard from her every so often. When me and the young man briefly conversed, she was oblivious toward my stance. She probably assumed that I was a Christian, because every time she made a "Christian comment", I would just smile and nod in agreement. I am fairly new at my job, and I want to "keep the peace"

Finally, she asked me if I wanted to borrow her magazines. That's when I came out of the "closet" and told her that I don't believe in any of that bullshit, although I was raised as a Christian.

So, I looked online after typing the title of her magazines into the Google search-bar.

I found this interesting:

http://www.icr.org/article/7887/

Secular scientists may be quite knowledgeable in their specialty fields, and many people naively assume that claims about an old age of the earth couldn’t possibly be motivated by anything other than a simple desire for truth. However, it’s important to recognize the human mind’s natural hostility toward the things of God. Without faith in Christ, we are characterized by “enmity against God” (Romans 8:7) and described as those who “suppress the truth in unrighteousness” (Romans 1:18). Many Christians who advocate accommodation with old-earth ideas would unhesitatingly affirm these statements from Romans, but they also argue that an old age for the earth and universe cannot be questioned. But an old earth and universe simply cannot be reconciled with the plain meaning of Scripture.
Enough with your bullshit.
. . . Mr. Friday . . . that post really is golden.

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +191/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
Re: Crazy Magazine
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 07:08:15 PM »
^^^Proving yet again that people who do not understand how an idea/concept/observation gets elevated from hypothesis to theory have no business trying to argue against it.

Ditto for people who do not grasp why the scientific method is dependable, and applicable, and a freaking requirement in order for whatever work one is doing to be considered SCIENCE.
"It's hard to, but I'm starting to believe some of you actually believe these things.  That is completely beyond my ability to understand if that is really the case, but things never cease to amaze me."

Offline SevenPatch

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +108/-4
  • A source will help me understand.
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 07:45:26 PM »
From the quote:

"However, it’s important to recognize the human mind’s natural hostility toward the things of God."

Lol, now human mind's have a natural hostility toward the things of God?!?!

Crazy magazine indeed.
"Shut him up! We have a lot invested in this ride - SHUT HIM UP! Look at my furrows of worry! Look at my big bank account, and my family! This just HAS to be real!" - Bill Hicks

Offline cwschizzy

• Student
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • WWGHA Member
    • Absurdity in Religion
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 12:49:45 AM »
My natural hostility would probably be toward whoever accepted all of this. I met a kid yesterday who didn't understand that gravity was a theory, and who wouldn't jump off a building for me.
Belief is irrelevant; the truth is not a democracy.
facebook.com/AbsurdityinReligion

Offline DrPancake

• Freshman
  • Darwins +6/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 09:14:01 AM »
Gotta love how the bible includes that "if people won't believe in nonsense it's because they're REBELLIOUS SINNERS" failsafe.

human mind’s natural hostility toward the things of God.

So god creates beings that he wants to obey his commands, but gives them minds with a natural hostility towards doing so.

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +385/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 09:59:02 AM »
It's interesting that someone who earned their doctorate in physics, specializing in optics, hired by an organization[1] to study pre- and post- Flood weather, would be arguing that scientists who accept that the Earth is old are doing so because of a preset agenda and lack of expertise in the relevant fields of study.
 1. with an explicit agenda to defend the writings of a 2000 year old book as objective fact
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/

Online jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-1
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 10:06:31 AM »
This, from the same homepage:

The old-earth Christian academic might bristle at this suggestion. He may insist that, unlike most laypeople, his belief in an old earth is based on genuine knowledge and understanding. He may very well be acquainted with many of the arguments for an old earth, but acquaintance is not the same thing as in-depth comprehension. Old-earth arguments may seem convincing on the surface, but this is because many involve oversimplifications and fail to acknowledge the unspoken but critical assumptions that go into them, assumptions that often implicitly deny even the possibility of creation and the Flood.

While there is a point of sorts to be made about people's accepting scientific arguments without in-depth comprehension of them, this does not acknowledge the opposite - that rejecting those same arguments with, probably, far LESS comprehension, based in the simple, blind belief that "godditit" shows a level of intellectual dishonesty that far exceeds that of someone who accepts a scientific theory with only a layman's knowledge of the specifics.

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +55/-0
  • IXNAY
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 04:39:34 PM »
But an old earth and universe simply cannot be reconciled with the plain meaning of Scripture.

At leasrt he got that right.
There is no opinion so absurd that a preacher could not express it.
-- Bernie Katz

Offline Brad the Bold

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +17/-0
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2014, 02:27:00 PM »
Gotta love how the bible includes that "if people won't believe in nonsense it's because they're REBELLIOUS SINNERS" failsafe.

And if you want to go Old Testament on them, feel free to stone them to death. Dt.13:6-10

So god creates beings that he wants to obey his commands, but gives them minds with a natural hostility towards doing so.

It's all Eve's fault, they can blame it on the fall. We were perfect but that apple ruined everything.

Offline DrPancake

• Freshman
  • Darwins +6/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2014, 04:56:20 PM »
It's all Eve's fault, they can blame it on the fall. We were perfect but that apple ruined everything.

Which really begs the question "Why keep creating flawed beings that make you angry", but I guess the fun of saved/damned souls makes up for it.

Online screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +683/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2014, 09:33:04 AM »
^ we are sort of roulette for god.  And he's addicted.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Online jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +566/-18
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2014, 11:03:46 AM »
This argument presupposes that Biblical scripture has a plain meaning, but I can't say I agree with that.  If it did have a plain meaning, wouldn't it be reasonable to conclude that most Christians would agree on it?