Author Topic: Satanic ritual murder in Texas  (Read 259 times)

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +181/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
Satanic ritual murder in Texas
« on: February 12, 2014, 09:58:01 AM »
I don't even... what the... this is so messed up on so many levels.

From the BBC: Teen boys, Satan, Texas

"There was evidence of "devil worship and things of that nature" at the Reyes family home, he added."

They may very well be guilty of murder, but the rest of the story is just baffling.
My tolerance for BS is limited, and I use up most of it IRL.

Online Dante

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-9
  • Hedonist Extraordinaire
Re: Satanic ritual murder in Texas
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 10:09:45 AM »
But belief in the fairy tales supernatural never hurts anybody!
Actually it doesn't. One could conceivably be all-powerful but not exceptionally intelligent.

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +546/-14
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 10:21:18 AM »
For some reason, I'm getting the strong suspicion that the parents spent a bit too long trying to indoctrinate their son and not enough time teaching him how to act morally.

You see this with a lot of children were raised in strict religious households - as soon as they get the chance, they do exactly what they weren't told to do, usually because their indoctrination focused on "don't do X, Y, and Z, or you'll go to hell".

I'm reminded of something I came across in a game once, about a boy who was taught that it was sinful to eat the flesh of creatures that possessed souls (because it would damage his own soul).  Since souls were invisible and intangible, his priest told him that creatures which could recognize themselves in mirrors possessed souls.  So, later on after he grew up, he discovered the horrifying fact that pigs - which he'd butchered and eaten all his life - could seemingly recognize themselves in mirrors.  This led him to believe that he was damned, and then he decided that if he was damned anyway, he might as well visit retribution upon all of the townsfolk, who were equally damned (as they'd eaten pork as well).

I wouldn't be very surprised to find that something like that happened here.

Offline wheels5894

• Reader
  • Darwins +106/-1
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 03:58:34 PM »
The BBC Story reports that there are 2 boys, one 17 and the other 16 and explains the satanic bits as -
Harris County prosecutor John Jordan said the younger boy had heard Reyes say that he had sold his soul to the devil and the 16-year-old wanted to do the same.

The pair lured the victim to an empty apartment and she was eventually found with a  crucifix carved onto her stomach. I suspect the boys had done some reading of something about what get called Satinic Rituals and wanted to try it out. The whole thing is very sad - 3 lives wasted (the boys won't be getting out much before they need coffins).
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +181/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 04:28:32 PM »
^^^Agreed. It's horrifying and shocking, and a tragic waste of three lives. I posted in a hurry before class this morning, so thanks for following up with some additional details.

I want clarity on the nature of the items that indicate "devil worship and things of that nature" that the prosecutor refers to in his remarks.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 04:30:54 PM by Jag »
My tolerance for BS is limited, and I use up most of it IRL.

Offline wheels5894

• Reader
  • Darwins +106/-1
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 04:48:24 PM »
^^^Agreed. It's horrifying and shocking, and a tragic waste of three lives. I posted in a hurry before class this morning, so thanks for following up with some additional details.

I want clarity on the nature of the items that indicate "devil worship and things of that nature" that the prosecutor refers to in his remarks.

Oh, right,. The link I posted isn't working. The BBC Story is here

The text has -

Two teenage boys have been charged in the US with the sexual assault and ritual murder of a 15-year-old girl.

Jose E Reyes, 17, and a 16-year-old boy, who cannot be named for legal reasons, are accused of the killing of Corriann Cervantes.

Prosecutors in Texas said the pair believed they were doing a deal with "the devil" when they killed the girl.

They are also accused of disfiguring the girl's body, including carving an upside down crucifix on her stomach.

Officials say that the boys lured Miss Cervantes to an empty apartment in Houston, Texas, on 5 February.

Harris County prosecutor John Jordan said the younger boy had heard Reyes say that he had sold his soul to the devil and the 16-year-old wanted to do the same.

He added: "The juvenile inquired... that if he committed a murder, would that basically initiate him into being able to sell his soul to the devil, of which Mr. Reyes said, 'Yes.'

"What happened in that vacant apartment was sadistic. What will eventually happen in the... courtroom will be justice".

Authorities are still trying to determine how Cervantes died, he said.

Police said the Miss Cervantes' body was discovered early Saturday when someone who lived in the block of flats noticed the door to the empty apartment was open.

'Devil worship'
Jose Reyes, who was arrested Sunday, made a brief court appearance on Tuesday. He is being held without bond in the Harris County Jail.

His lawyer, Jerald Graber, said he could not comment on the case because he had just been appointed by the court and knew few of the details related to the charges.

The 16-year-old boy is in being held in a juvenile detention facility.

Prosecutors say Jose Reyes' family first went to authorities after the 17-year-old made "some admissions" to them about what had happened.

"They did the right thing. Clearly they were offended by his conduct," Mr Jordan said.

There was evidence of "devil worship and things of that nature" at the Reyes family home, he added.

No decisions have been made by prosecutors on whether the 16-year-old will be tried as an adult.

Follow @BBCNewsbeat on Twitter
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +515/-18
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2014, 02:26:47 PM »
Christians and witches anyone?

What is it with some of the religious? Why do they get so "involved" to the exclusion of all sanity? (And that includes YECs and other arseholes who preach ignorance.)
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +646/-27
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 08:42:11 AM »
I bet the Mets are glad they traded Jose Reyes now.  I knew that guy was trouble.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.