Author Topic: Rod Dreher is a gullible rube  (Read 225 times)

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +678/-28
  • Karma mooch
Rod Dreher is a gullible rube
« on: February 12, 2014, 08:32:05 AM »
Rod Dreher is the social conservative in residence at the American Conservative blog. Unless I am mistaken, he's a former catholic, currently a member of the eastern orthodox church.  He's also one of the most superstitious people I've ever seen, often posting articles about exorcisms and "ghost" priests who appear at car accidents, bless the wreck and then vanish (the actual flesh and blood priest was found later).

His latest is about exorcisims of Japanese ghosts from the tsunami of 2011.
http://www.theamericanconservative.com/dreher/mr-onos-exorcism/

Rod genuinely believes the stories, though he likes to stay on the fence with regard to how to interpret them.  In his words, "There's a lot here to challenge atheist and Christian ideas alike."  Yeah. That might be challenging to xian ideas, but not atheists. 

In his mind, the world is full of real magic, ghosts, demons, and curses.  Halloween must be absolutely terrifying for him.  But in his mind, he also has the jesus juice that protects him and makes him invincible to these threats. 

Frankly, I wonder why the AC would risk their reputation by allowing him to post that nonsense. I get that they want a so-con perspective, but jeepers, Japanese ghost stories?  Does that not kind of make the publication ridiculous?  Does that not kind of make people take the AC a little less seriously?

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +55/-0
  • IXNAY
Re: Rod Dreher is a gullible rube
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 09:44:01 AM »
Frankly, I wonder why the AC would risk their reputation by allowing him to post that nonsense. I get that they want a so-con perspective, but jeepers, Japanese ghost stories?  Does that not kind of make the publication ridiculous?  Does that not kind of make people take the AC a little less seriously?

There must be a 'market' for such thought. Sad to say the American political landscape has its share of believers in such nonsense.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 10:47:11 AM by Backspace »
There is no opinion so absurd that a preacher could not express it.
-- Bernie Katz