Author Topic: xianity and war  (Read 161 times)

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +646/-27
  • Karma mooch
xianity and war
« on: February 12, 2014, 07:56:27 AM »
The American Conservative has posted an article discussing the connection between war and the level of fundiness in the army.  I find it to be a dangerous mix and my preferences is to get back to enacting the draft.  This will do a number of things.  First, it will make the military more representative of our nation.  Second, it will dilute the fundies.  Third, it will make the population at large pay more attention to what our presidents are doing with our military.

the article:
http://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/old-testament-army/

Fully one-third of military chaplains are currently evangelicals and the percentage is increasing. Many fundamentalists assert that a good officer has to be “moral,” by which they mean “religious,” in the belief that it is impossible to be ethical without a relationship to God. As many of the evangelicals also believe they possess the absolute truth in terms of their own definitions of religiosity, there is little room for alternative viewpoints.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +298/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: xianity and war
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 12:44:20 AM »
Drafts won't happen.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline cwschizzy

• Student
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • WWGHA Member
    • Absurdity in Religion
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 06:27:03 PM »
Indeed, I find it highly unlikely the draft will be reinstated anytime soon.
Belief is irrelevant; the truth is not a democracy.
facebook.com/AbsurdityinReligion

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +646/-27
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 06:31:48 PM »
me too, but that was just my 2 cents worth.  Any commentary on the rest of the article?
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline cwschizzy

• Student
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • WWGHA Member
    • Absurdity in Religion
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 06:49:41 PM »
It's interesting to see how many evangelicals and fundamentalists are some of the loudest speakers for peace, and then support overseas wars with such veracity. I'm reminded of the Crusades.
Belief is irrelevant; the truth is not a democracy.
facebook.com/AbsurdityinReligion

Offline shnozzola

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 07:03:42 PM »
Interesting that the article was written by a former CIA officer.  Couple things stick out to me.  This quote -   
"...... fact that many evangelical Christians hardly relate to the New Testament at all."
Amazing, what are they really - Jews?

and this:
- "Bush had himself initially described the global war on terror as a “crusade,” though he quickly regretted using the expression after being educated to the fact that many of Washington’s potential allies against terrorism were, in fact, Muslims."
(I would use my rolling eyes smiley here but they no longer work for some reason - we elected him twice.  :()

A draft is hard to swallow, but I understand your reasoning.  Maybe if  another military excursion is necessary (hopefully never).  I like it better when the military is sent to help with disasters, and it works better too,  IMO.
“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something."  ~ T. H. White
  The real holy trinity:  onion, celery, and bell pepper ~  all Cajun Chefs