Author Topic: How Religious is the right?  (Read 383 times)

Offline DrPancake

• Freshman
  • Darwins +6/-0
  • WWGHA Member
How Religious is the right?
« on: February 09, 2014, 04:05:10 PM »
Had been thinking about the "religious right" and I wondered-

"How many conservatives actually believe in Christianity, and how many are just using it as a means to gain/maintain power?"

I don't know if there would be any way to find out, because obviously none of them would say "Oh I just spout this nonsense to get elected". But I think the result would be interesting.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +298/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: How Religious is the right?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 08:33:14 PM »
In the US. 62.3%. The rest use it as an excuse to cheat on their wives/husbands, and to be bigots/racists and the rest[1].

-Nam
 1. I got my data out of thin air but I'm 99% sure it's accurate
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline wheels5894

• Reader
  • Darwins +106/-1
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 05:04:48 AM »
Had been thinking about the "religious right" and I wondered-

"How many conservatives actually believe in Christianity, and how many are just using it as a means to gain/maintain power?"

I don't know if there would be any way to find out, because obviously none of them would say "Oh I just spout this nonsense to get elected". But I think the result would be interesting.

Now that is an interesting question. Coming from the UK we have had first hand experience of people who use religion as a political position in Northern Ireland where there was a long period of violence by the Republicans, who wanted to join with Eire (The Irish Republic) who were Catholic and the so-called Loyalists who wanted to remain in the UK and who were Protestants. now given the level of violence - car bombs, maiming people shootings etc. one would have to wonder if any of them were actually religious.

So back to the present, I imagine that to get high office in the USA one has to be religious (this isn't the same in Europe as no one cares about the religion of political candidates.) So I suppose if one is Republican one was probably born in the Bible Belt and religion is all around. Surely it's the best answer to get into politics - use that religion to show you are what the people want. It really doesn't matter what you think as long as you say the rights words.

So I wouldn't be surprised at all if many of the Republican party are not very religious or are not religious ata ll but do through the motions to make sure they get elected. It's not a very healthy situation but I think it is going to be a while  before the first atheist president is elected!
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)

Offline Ramona

• Novice
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 01:19:44 AM »
The Christian right is notable today for advancing socially conservative positions on issues including school prayer, stem cell research,homosexuality,contraception, abortion

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +347/-7
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 09:08:57 AM »
The Christian right is notable today for advancing socially conservative positions on issues including school prayer, stem cell research,homosexuality,contraception, abortion

I think use of the word 'advancing' is a bit generous.
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."
- Eddie Izzard

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +825/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 11:50:14 AM »
Maybe there used to be really religious Christian people on the right. Now the positions they take are so harmful to humanity and life on the planet in general, it is hard to see how "love thy neighbor, feed the hungry, turn the other cheek"  Jesus has any connection to them. Or vice versa. :-\
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Dante

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-9
  • Hedonist Extraordinaire
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 12:26:42 PM »

And how do you feel about these positions? Do you believe they advance the human race, or inhibit it?
Actually it doesn't. One could conceivably be all-powerful but not exceptionally intelligent.

Offline wheels5894

• Reader
  • Darwins +106/-1
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 01:20:05 PM »
Can we include the prime minister of Australia in this? He is not exactly the religious right per se as he is a Catholic but he has extreme right wing policies.
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +825/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014, 04:43:09 PM »

And how do you feel about these positions? Do you believe they advance the human race, or inhibit it?

Most of the conservative positions on these topics are detrimental to the human race, because they defy scientific facts as we know them, subject individual rights to illogical superstitions, and generally make people's lives worse just so they can feel good about their religion.
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +48/-0
  • IXNAY
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2014, 09:06:21 PM »
Frequent the site below and you'll soon get the impression right wing Christian evangelicals are some of the most bigoted, hateful, liars you'll ever encounter; and they just love stroking each other.

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/
There is no opinion so absurd that a preacher could not express it.
-- Bernie Katz

Offline IAmFirst

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2014, 01:57:37 AM »
Not religious at all. None of them. To this day, I still say I've never met a true believer, and I went to Catholic school as a kid!

Politicians are the best example of hypocrites. Ever notice how none of them are funny at all? Maybe it's because they just keep throwing out nonsense knowing that nonsense will actually get votes.
2nd of all, if all you believe in is peer-reviewed papers, you won't go very far in life...

-- Shin :D