Author Topic: "In search of a cure, scientists look for where HIV hides"  (Read 3405 times)

Offline Ataraxia

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +79/-1
  • "I am large, I contain multitudes."
Re: "In search of a cure, scientists look for where HIV hides"
« Reply #116 on: February 11, 2014, 01:08:33 PM »
Do you also thank your god for the thousands of children that suffer and die every day from hunger and easily preventable/treatable diseases and illnesses?

No I do not thank my God for that.  If mother nature and man have the wherewithal to solve those problems, why don't they solve the problem.  Why blame what you say doesn't exit.

My God says this "if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink."  You don't know the goodness of God.  Your personal generosity is pitiful compared to His.

I say this, "Don't consider anyone to be an enemy." Your god likes to create a division and then try and patch it up with 'generosity', while I can be generous and not consider anyone to be my enemy. Ataraxia 1 - Biblegod 0
"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh." - Voltaire

Offline SevenPatch

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +108/-4
  • A source will help me understand.
« Reply #117 on: February 11, 2014, 01:33:40 PM »
I see you like to dish it out and belittle God, but a little criticism your way digs deep quickly.
Actually, he was belittling you, not your god.

I can see how bill might mistake the two.

The SPAG is strong in Bill.
"Shut him up! We have a lot invested in this ride - SHUT HIM UP! Look at my furrows of worry! Look at my big bank account, and my family! This just HAS to be real!" - Bill Hicks

Offline Boots

• Reader
  • Darwins +96/-0
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #118 on: February 11, 2014, 01:40:56 PM »
Show me one of my incorrect thinkings and I will change my view.

OK, how about this:

You said on this thread that Xians suffering for others' sins is "collateral damage."

Why is this?  Is it that...
...your god incapable of more precise, more just punishment?
...your god can't tell an xian from a non-xian from such a distance?
...your god thinks punishing a just man for the sins of the unjust, is just?

because it looks to me like the god you revere is a fucking asshole, based on that "collateral damage" statement alone. 

So please defend how a kindly, benevolent god can punish his faithful followers for the sins of others and still be called kindly and benevolent, OR change your view to something more resonable/correct.
* Religion: institutionalized superstition, period.

"Many of my ultra-conservative Republican friends...have trouble accepting the idea God is not a Republican. " ~OldChurchGuy

"We humans may never figure out the truth, but I prefer trying to find it over pretending we know it."  ~ParkingPlaces

Offline SevenPatch

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +108/-4
  • A source will help me understand.
« Reply #119 on: February 11, 2014, 01:59:23 PM »
Show me one of my incorrect thinkings and I will change my view.

OK, how about this:

You said on this thread that Xians suffering for others' sins is "collateral damage."

Why is this?  Is it that...
...your god incapable of more precise, more just punishment?
...your god can't tell an xian from a non-xian from such a distance?
...your god thinks punishing a just man for the sins of the unjust, is just?

because it looks to me like the god you revere is a fucking asshole, based on that "collateral damage" statement alone. 

So please defend how a kindly, benevolent god can punish his faithful followers for the sins of others and still be called kindly and benevolent, OR change your view to something more resonable/correct.

I don't know if Bill actually considers his god to be kindly or benevolent god, at least not in any way we would consider to be kind or benevolent.

Consider the following:

Your personal generosity is pitiful compared to His.

How so?

For one, he has given mankind a second chance to fear Him and obey Him, which is the whole duty of man.

Plus, He has poured more water on this earth than any man.

Bill seems to think that the act of giving people a second chance to fear and obey God (which is the whole duty of man) is an act of generosity.

Although, Bill seems to be a bit inconsistent.  Consider the following:

Do you also thank your god for the thousands of children that suffer and die every day from hunger and easily preventable/treatable diseases and illnesses?

No I do not thank my God for that. 

According to Bill's logic, he should thank his god for all the thousands of children that suffer and die every day from hunger and easily preventable/treatable diseases and illnesses.  Otherwise, Bill is not properly worshiping his god which demands fear and obedience.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 02:06:29 PM by SevenPatch »
"Shut him up! We have a lot invested in this ride - SHUT HIM UP! Look at my furrows of worry! Look at my big bank account, and my family! This just HAS to be real!" - Bill Hicks

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +375/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #120 on: February 11, 2014, 02:44:26 PM »
Bill, what makes you ask the question about AIDS in that way?  Do you think god is more involved with the AIDS virus than other viruses, such as the common cold, or yellow fever, or hepatitis.   Do you think AIDS is some sort of  curse against some types of people?

As everyone is happy to point out I do not study Evolution.  I was curious how the atheist would answer the question.  In particular because I wanted to know who you would favor in your answer.  The homosexual or Darwin.  I actually thought that political correctness would dictate your answer.

Before this thread goes much further I think the above deserves a response - I just don't want this little tidbit to be lost.  billbetzler, this is rather telling of the major disconnect that you are having with a lot of us here.

You seem to be under the impression that the 'right' answer for a question is dependent upon 'whose side' you pick...as opposed to the objective evidence suggesting the truth or lack-thereof of a claim.

When someone says that 'the theory of evolution is true', it isn't because Darwin says so.  It's because the objective evidence coincides with the claim.

You wanted to know who an atheist would favor in the answer?  That's the problem - there isn't a who involved in the answer.

Edit: fixy grammar
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 02:46:28 PM by jdawg70 »
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +191/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #121 on: February 11, 2014, 04:05:27 PM »
^^^He came here prepared to argue with the idea he held of what an atheist is, and what a member of Club Atheist is supposed to say or do in response to certain stimuli.

In other words he came here to argue with a Chick tract. When you all went and acted like individuals, with intellect and biblical knowledge, he got flustered. I'm kind of disappointed he (seems to have) left a page back. Another theist running from an opportunity for some healthy perspective adjustment  ;)
"It's hard to, but I'm starting to believe some of you actually believe these things.  That is completely beyond my ability to understand if that is really the case, but things never cease to amaze me."

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +275/-31
« Reply #122 on: February 11, 2014, 04:17:32 PM »
I'm kind of disappointed he (seems to have) left a page back. Another theist running from an opportunity for some healthy perspective adjustment  ;)

That may be the case, but it's a bit premature to conclude this.  He's stopped posting for what, 4 hours?  So what?
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +563/-17
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #123 on: February 11, 2014, 04:52:55 PM »
When someone says that 'the theory of evolution is true', it isn't because Darwin says so.  It's because the objective evidence coincides with the claim.

You wanted to know who an atheist would favor in the answer?  That's the problem - there isn't a who involved in the answer.
This needs to be understated, written in stone, cast in bronze, pick your term.

Bill, one of the basic tenets of science is that experiments are repeatable.  That means that it doesn't matter who does an experiment; if it's done using the same parameters, it'll produce the same result[1].  More to the point, it doesn't matter what you went in expecting to happen (so long as you didn't shade the parameters, anyway), or what you believe will happen, or what you have faith in.
 1. notably, if it doesn't, that means there's a parameter you missed, or maybe didn't even know to look for

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +191/-7
« Reply #124 on: February 11, 2014, 04:58:43 PM »
I'm kind of disappointed he (seems to have) left a page back. Another theist running from an opportunity for some healthy perspective adjustment  ;)

That may be the case, but it's a bit premature to conclude this.  He's stopped posting for what, 4 hours?  So what?

Not a time matter at all.  The last post from him says he's leaving, thus, the parenthetic qualifier.
"It's hard to, but I'm starting to believe some of you actually believe these things.  That is completely beyond my ability to understand if that is really the case, but things never cease to amaze me."

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +275/-31
« Reply #125 on: February 11, 2014, 05:11:23 PM »
Ahh.  Yeah, I tend not to give much credence to that sort of proclamation anymore.
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +563/-17
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #126 on: February 11, 2014, 05:14:13 PM »
He didn't actually say he was leaving, either.  He said that he might not belong here, that if he'd broken the rules he'd pay the price, and that he didn't take offense at what people had said to him.

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +191/-7
« Reply #127 on: February 11, 2014, 06:50:55 PM »
Fine, I read too much into his words.  ;)  Maybe he'll come back and talk some more. That wasn't even remotely my point, but I concede that I may have jumped the gun in taking his words as a goodbye post.

Offline shnozzola

« Reply #128 on: February 13, 2014, 10:26:33 AM »
As everyone is happy to point out I do not study Evolution.  I was curious how the atheist would answer the question.  In particular because I wanted to know who you would favor in your answer.  The homosexual or Darwin.  I actually thought that political correctness would dictate your answer.

Thanks for posting that, Jdawg.  It was on my list of questions to ask, how Bill views evolutionary reasoning.

Anyway, Bill, if you are like most, these discussions are so addicting, you probably continue to drop by as a viewer.  I have a question for you.  In the parable of the good Samaritan,  do you think the Samaritan could have been an atheist?  I understand theologians argue the beliefs of Samaritans at the supposed time of the story, but just for yourself, could you consider that possibility - and what that would mean.
Just to think about, I'm not asking for a public answer.
“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something."  ~ T. H. White
  The real holy trinity:  onion, celery, and bell pepper ~  all Cajun Chefs