Author Topic: "In search of a cure, scientists look for where HIV hides"  (Read 2032 times)

Online SevenPatch

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +92/-4
  • A source will help me understand.
Re: "In search of a cure, scientists look for where HIV hides"
« Reply #87 on: February 11, 2014, 12:01:14 AM »
All of your conclusions that God doesn't exist is base on ignorance.  Because you lack enough information to come to the correct answer.

Perhaps you might be kind enough to share this information.  Please keep in mind however that many of the atheist forum members here are former Christians and some are very knowledgable about the Bible.

I personally would be more interested in evidence.

My point with the checker board is that it doesn't contain chess pieces therefore the conclusion is that chess doesn't exist in that persons reasoning.  The atheist like to use science to disprove God's existence.  God is not in science therefore you cannot come to the conclusion that He exists.

Science can't disprove the existence of most gods, especially when they attain the nature of undetectable by any natural means.  Believing otherwise would be an irrational reason to hold a position of atheism.  Unfortunately for you, there are plenty of rational reasons to be an atheist.

Science has shown however that parts of the Christian Bible cannot be considered literal accounts.
"Shut him up! We have a lot invested in this ride - SHUT HIM UP! Look at my furrows of worry! Look at my big bank account, and my family! This just HAS to be real!" - Bill Hicks

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +320/-6
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #88 on: February 11, 2014, 12:07:48 AM »
I thank God that he gave you the ability to endure your hardships so that you could bring about your accomplishments for our good.  I hope you were paid well for your services.

God does see and He does reward people for doing his work.  Nebuchadnezzar can testify of that.

That's...still pretty insulting.
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."
- Eddie Izzard

Online SevenPatch

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +92/-4
  • A source will help me understand.
« Reply #89 on: February 11, 2014, 12:14:36 AM »
I thank God that he gave you the ability to endure your hardships so that you could bring about your accomplishments for our good.  I hope you were paid well for your services.

God does see and He does reward people for doing his work.  Nebuchadnezzar can testify of that.

Do you also thank your god for the thousands of children that suffer and die every day from hunger and easily preventable/treatable diseases and illnesses?
"Shut him up! We have a lot invested in this ride - SHUT HIM UP! Look at my furrows of worry! Look at my big bank account, and my family! This just HAS to be real!" - Bill Hicks

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +511/-12
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #90 on: February 11, 2014, 12:15:28 AM »
My argument was simple.  In a different post I said that man knew less than 1%.  I gave a simple  formula to show the less than 1% was true.  Time and the actual learning curve of information is not relevant.  All of your conclusions that God doesn't exist is base on ignorance.  Because you lack enough information to come to the correct answer.
Wow, and I thought you were arrogant before.  So let me ask you a question.  If I don't have sufficient information to come to the 'correct' answer, assuming one even exists, then wouldn't the same hold true for you?  You see, you're just assuming that you have enough information to come to that 'correct' answer you speak of.  Yet you don't even understand it well enough to explain it except in purely rote terms, like someone repeating memorized addition tables without understanding the underlying framework.  This is actually pretty common amongst people who's understanding is far deficient - they assume, in their ignorance, that they understand something much better than they actually do.

By the way, you made a bad assumption.  I don't conclude that a given god doesn't exist, because there's no way to prove a negative.  However, barring evidence, there's no reason to assume it does exist.  In short, I don't actually care whether your god exists or not, and I also don't care about the supposed heaven or hell that believers like you claim exists.  When you can produce evidence to support your claims, evidence that stands up to investigation, then there will be reason to care about your beliefs.  What I care is that you're trying to present those beliefs as fact even though you don't have anything to really support them, and worse, that you're trying to entrap others with those very same beliefs.

Quote from: billbetzler
My point with the checker board is that it doesn't contain chess pieces therefore the conclusion is that chess doesn't exist in that persons reasoning.  The atheist like to use science to disprove God's existence.  God is not in science therefore you cannot come to the conclusion that He exists.
You know, you should really stop trying to be so glib with your examples and analogies.  It's tripping you up pretty badly.

Take your attempt to argue that someone wouldn't believe in chess.  The easiest solution is simply to produce the chess pieces - which serve as evidence that the game of chess exists.  Indeed, it would actually be far easier to simply go get a chess set than to waste time arguing about whether it exists or not without evidence.  That's certainly what I would do.

Oh, and even better, your statement that "God is not in science".  It's an easy way to try to avoid having to explain why science never turns up any evidence for your god.  But the fact of the matter is that your god could very well be in science if he really wanted to, assuming he exists.  It's you who's limiting your own god by declaring that he isn't in science.  It's you who's limiting your god to the gaps in our knowledge, so you don't have to explain why science consistently produces results that give no indication of your god even existing.

If your god actually existed, science would point straight at him, because science would be part of him, or at least something he produced.  To suggest anything else is to both limit and weaken your god, to make him more and more impotent and useless.

But, hey.  If you don't mind doing that to your own god, then don't let me stop you.

Yes I believe I did.  I did not talk my self into it.  I was Catholic, atheist, agnostic, then Christian.
Catholics are Christians, you know.  Or do you somehow think that they aren't?

Leaving that aside, you did in fact talk yourself into your new belief.  That's how the human mind works - we rationalize things into a coherent framework, and if it stops being coherent, we rationalize it into something that is coherent again.  That does not mean that it is correct, of course.

I like science and all the technology from it that makes our lives easier.  I just thank God for it.
This from the same person who said, "God is not in science".  Sorry, but if your god is not in science, then why give thanks to him for the hard work of scientists?  That's like trying to take your half out of the middle; your god can't be proven by science, yet he's still responsible for everything that science produces?  You don't get to have this both ways.  If your god is responsible for science, then science should point straight at him.  If it does not (indeed, if science can't say a thing about your god, as you claim), then giving your god thanks for what scientists produce is dishonest, because he wasn't responsible for it.

My knowledge of God is from the Bible.  I agree that there are many bad teachings in the Christian church.  Show me one of my incorrect thinkings and I will change my view.
Your incorrect thinking is that the Bible is a reliable source of information about your god.  I'll wager that you're basing this on that verse from 2 Timothy, the one talking about scripture being God-breathed.  Am I correct?

I agree.
So, why then assume that your belief is correct and complete and all that?  I'm quite serious here.  You're treating it as if it were a divine revelation, but you don't have anything to support that except for a circular argument - the Bible is correct because it's from God, and you know that God 'breathed' it because the Bible says so.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #91 on: February 11, 2014, 01:02:33 AM »
Bill came in closed to anything but what he believes, and he'll leave here the same way, he states on the first page that he's never read the Theory of Evolution, in another topic (or this one) he stated he wanted to believe what Christians[1] did so much that now he does. So, he's arguing against something he has no knowledge of (he has less than that 1% it seems the rest of us have), admittedly, and he stated that he wants to believe, therefore he does, and he's right everyone else is wrong.

Any arguing/debating with Billy Bob here is purely out of fun.

-Nam
 1. he didn't actually say "Christian" but since that's his playbook...
This is my signature "Nam", don't I have nice typing skills?

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +690/-3
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #92 on: February 11, 2014, 02:15:39 AM »
The atheist like to use science to disprove God's existence.  God is not in science therefore you cannot come to the conclusion that He exists.

I've been an atheist for over half a century and have never needed science to justify or prove my position. I'm just waiting around for the religious to show me something besides old stories and wild claims. I've yet to see even a whiff of truth come out of a religious persons mouth when it comes to god stories. Not that I doubt that people like you believe them. But that doesn't make them true. Nothing can.

Science is what we do when our heads aren't stuck in the ground. Since we're not busy preparing ourselves for an alleged and unwelcome afterlife (hot or not) of undetermined quality, we've got time to do other stuff. Which is far more pleasant the pretending to be knowledgable about ignorance.

Not everyone is entitled to their opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline Ataraxia

• Graduate
  • Darwins +68/-0
  • "I am large, I contain multitudes."
« Reply #93 on: February 11, 2014, 02:58:13 AM »
Please distinguish this "knowledge" from delusion.

I believe the truth so I have knowledge.

That doesn't answer the question. Your position here is a fine example of the circular logic required by faith. I suppose it was a long shot to expect you to ditch faith and actually attempt to demonstrate that what you have is knowledge and not delusion.

You believe a lie so you have delusion.

Sorry, what belief is that exactly?

Don't forget that Jesus spoke in parables for a reason.

This doesn't address my post at all. I don't care how Jesus allegedly spoke and I don't care what Jesus allegedly said. I would rather take advice from Yoda.

Also do not misinterpret the long suffering of God toward sinners as weakness or as proof that He doesn't exist.  Your life on this earth is short and the atheist attitude of disrespect to God will give you no strength in the day of judgment.

Ooooo, threaten me some more! I feel like I'm slowly turning....

Well the following is the definition of faith.  I suppose you can make up your own for your own personal use.

Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

...which is really just a rewording of what I and others have been stating.

Faith has a couple of definitions - one can be used to be synonymous with trust and the other is used as a label for believing something without evidence.
You, like other Christians/theists before you, are probably trying to shoehorn in the "faith/trust in god" as your default/starting position, when your foundation is in believing this god exists to have trust in, with not even a snippet of evidence.
"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh." - Voltaire

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +320/-6
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #94 on: February 11, 2014, 09:22:39 AM »
If your god actually existed, science would point straight at him, because science would be part of him, or at least something he produced.  To suggest anything else is to both limit and weaken your god, to make him more and more impotent and useless.

But, hey.  If you don't mind doing that to your own god, then don't let me stop you.

That's one of those things that's started to irk me a bit more lately.  I'm not sure if it's a phenomenon I'm just noticing more, or if it's actually increasing, or if my biases are simply shifting.  But I'm seeing it more and more - in an attempt to explain god's simultaneous apparent absence and undeniable presence, some theists will go to great lengths to make god look like a petty, weak, uncaring child.  They prefer to portray either an impotent weakling or a grotesque uncaring monster than to simply admit that they do not know the answer.

They treat this god entity - an entity they claim to love and worship - like a pitiful little brat handcuffed by any and every little bitty thing in reality.
They treat this god entity - an entity they claim to be infinitely powerful and infinitely wise - like a derelict old man in traction and needing to be constantly coddled and protected.

If god does exists, and god is all that he's cracked up to be...he's got to feel just incredibly saddened and insulted with how some of these people portray him.
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."
- Eddie Izzard

Offline billbetzler

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #95 on: February 11, 2014, 11:22:44 AM »
Do you also thank your god for the thousands of children that suffer and die every day from hunger and easily preventable/treatable diseases and illnesses?

No I do not thank my God for that.  If mother nature and man have the wherewithal to solve those problems, why don't they solve the problem.  Why blame what you say doesn't exit.

My God says this "if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink."  You don't know the goodness of God.  Your personal generosity is pitiful compared to His.

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +82/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #96 on: February 11, 2014, 11:25:58 AM »
Your personal generosity is pitiful compared to His.

How so?

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +267/-31
« Reply #97 on: February 11, 2014, 11:27:22 AM »

No I do not thank my God for that.  If mother nature and man have the wherewithal to solve those problems, why don't they solve the problem.  Why blame what you say doesn't exit.

My God says this "if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink."  You don't know the goodness of God.  Your personal generosity is pitiful compared to His.

Problem?  What makes you think it's a problem, as opposed to God's Plan?  Do you share the throne or something?
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline billbetzler

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #98 on: February 11, 2014, 11:33:37 AM »
Science has shown however that parts of the Christian Bible cannot be considered literal accounts.

Does the bible claim to be 100% literal in your sense of the word?  Ask you ex christian friends for the answer.  Jesus said some of his words were spiritual and not to be comprehended by the common mind.  Your <1% is showing.

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +320/-6
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #99 on: February 11, 2014, 11:37:07 AM »

Nice of him to say that.

It'd be better if he actually did that, right?

I mean, "if mother nature and man havegod has the wherewithal to solve those problems, why don't theydoesn't god solve the problem."

You don't know what 'goodness' means.  Your personal generosity is pitiful compared to the average human being.
- Eddie Izzard

Offline billbetzler

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #100 on: February 11, 2014, 11:38:14 AM »
How so?

For one, he has given mankind a second chance to fear Him and obey Him, which is the whole duty of man.

Plus, He has poured more water on this earth than any man.

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +320/-6
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #101 on: February 11, 2014, 11:38:37 AM »

Does the bible claim to be 100% literal in your sense of the word?  Ask you ex christian friends for the answer.  Jesus said some of his words were spiritual and not to be comprehended by the common mind.  Your <1% is showing.

Your gargantuan, self-gratifying ego is showing.
- Eddie Izzard

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +511/-12
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #102 on: February 11, 2014, 11:41:00 AM »
Mind citing where it says that in the Bible?

If you can't, then what does that say about your (lack of) knowledge?

Offline Aaron123

• Fellow
  • Darwins +77/-1
« Reply #103 on: February 11, 2014, 11:42:37 AM »

Do you realize, that this is the exact same question that we have about god?  If god is able to solve our problems, why doesn't he do so?  Instead, he does nothing.  The same as though he were non-existence.

My God says this "if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink." 

So why doesn't god do any of this himself?

You don't know the goodness of God.  Your personal generosity is pitiful compared to His.

In what way do we "don't know the goodness of God"? 
In what way is my "personal generosity is pitiful compared to His"? 
Why is "His" capitalized?  "His" is not a pronoun.
Being a Christian, I've made my decision. That decision offers no compromise; therefore, I'm closed to anything else.

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +82/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #104 on: February 11, 2014, 11:42:56 AM »
How so?

For one, he has given mankind a second chance to fear Him and obey Him, which is the whole duty of man.

Has he?
1st off, prove it.
2nd is that generosity or tyranny?

What are you talking about?

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +511/-12
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #105 on: February 11, 2014, 11:47:14 AM »

What are you talking about?
The Biblical flood, most likely.

Hardly what I'd consider an act of kindness and generosity, though, given that the intent was to kill (almost) everything that lived.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +618/-23
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #106 on: February 11, 2014, 11:47:53 AM »
It is true that I did not study the theory of Evolution. 

That's great Bill.  That tells us a lot about you. 

For one, it means that whatever information or explanation we attempt to give you, it will be way over your head.  For two, it means you have come to conclusions about it without enough information or any information at all.  It tells us you are completely unqualified to have an opinion on the matter. 

Truth is the greater value and more worthy of a persons time.

This says a lot about you too.  It says any effort we put into this conversation with you will be a total waste of our time. 

You know, despite reading posts like this for 7 or 8 years now, I am still surprised by adults publicly proclaiming such ridiculously stupid things, completely unashamedly.  Even despite understanding why you do it, I am astonished.  It confirms my belief that the human animal is doomed to extinction, and should be, sooner than later.

Bill, you don't seem to understand this site.  So far, you have made a lot of proclamations of emotion.  Saying jesus H is Truth is for the most part, meaningless.  It is a profession of faith.  It is cheering for your team.  "Jesus, jesus, he's our man, if he can't do it, Vishnu can!"  Rah rah!

To put it bluntly, we're not interested in those.  If that is all you are here to do, or are capable of, you're going to be unsatisfied with this site. You will go away angry and butthurt, but also feeling smug because this will have confirmed for you how mean atheists are. 

We are interested in how you know what you claim you know.  Pick a claim, any claim, and then explain how you think you know it is true, how it can be validated, and why we should believe it.  For example, I can tell you gravity acts to accelerate objects at 9.81 m/s2.  I know this because I have measured it in a lab. And by analyzing photographs. And because this experiment has been done a zillion times.  And I will tell you to not believe me, but rather to do the experiment yourself.

You talk about a spirit "realm".  I find that to be a preposterous idea.  But, I want to believe it if it is true.  Can you demonstrate that it is true?  Can you tell me what kind of evidence I should expect for it?

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline billbetzler

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #107 on: February 11, 2014, 11:49:39 AM »
I mean, "if mother nature and man havegod has the wherewithal to solve those problems, why don't theydoesn't god solve the problem."

You don't know what 'goodness' means.  Your personal generosity is pitiful compared to the average human being.

I see you like to dish it out and belittle God, but a little criticism your way digs deep quickly. 

You're made in the image of God, you figure out why God does and does not.  I only know what the bible tells me.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +618/-23
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #108 on: February 11, 2014, 11:52:58 AM »
I only know what the bible tells me.

Then you are stuck with an Iron Age perspective and understanding of the world. 

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +320/-6
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #109 on: February 11, 2014, 11:59:58 AM »
I see you like to dish it out and belittle God, but a little criticism your way digs deep quickly. 

...and the point zooms right by you.

You're made in the image of God, you figure out why God does and does not.  I only know what the bible tells me.

Protip: Read more than 1 book[1].

Try learning more.  Won't hurt.  Well, sometimes it hurts.  To this day I keep trying to learn more about quantum chromodynamics, but I succeed more in making my brain hurt than actually grasping it.  But that's OK.  I've resolved long ago to be comfortable with the fact that I'm not exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer, but that shouldn't stop me from trying to better understand the world I live in.
 1. Assumes that you've actually read the bible.
- Eddie Izzard

Offline billbetzler

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #110 on: February 11, 2014, 12:10:35 PM »
Bill, you don't seem to understand this site.  So far, you have made a lot of proclamations of emotion.  Saying jesus H is Truth is for the most part, meaningless.  It is a profession of faith.  It is cheering for your team.  "Jesus, jesus, he's our man, if he can't do it, Vishnu can!"  Rah rah!

Perhaps you are right, I do not belong here.  I am faith and you are science.  Water and oil.

I did give you the 1% truth.  Howbeit, no one could accept it as a limitation of their human experience.

You do live in a small world called science. 

This is your site and your rules.  I did not obey the rules therefore I must pay the consequences of that breech.

I am not offended or hurt personally by anything said to me here. 

Best Regards

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +511/-12
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #111 on: February 11, 2014, 12:11:44 PM »
Actually, he was belittling you, not your god.

You're made in the image of God,
Evidence?  And I don't mean the Bible.  You have to understand, the atheists here do not consider the Bible to be the word of God.  They consider it to be the words of humans who lived milennia ago, and no more reliable than any other religious books ever written.  Indeed, they consider it about as reliable as the average fictional book.

Think of it this way, if you would.  You say that we have less than 1% of knowledge.  So how much less knowledge did the people who wrote the Bible have?  That's why we need evidence which shows that the Bible was written or at least inspired by your god.  Because otherwise, you're telling us that we should put our 'faith' in people who understood even less about the world than we do.  It doesn't work.

you figure out why God does and does not.
It doesn't work that way.  You're the one making the claim, so you're the one who has to support it.  That means you get to figure it out and tell us why God does and does not.  If you can't, then why should anyone else bother?

I only know what the bible tells me.
Then why are you trying to act as if it's absolutely guaranteed, bonafide knowledge?  Even if your god did originally write the Bible (which is very doubtful), it's changed dramatically since then.  People have translated it, edited it, transliterated it, and all sorts of other things which move it away from the meaning of the original text.  That's one of the reasons we have so many different Christian sects, like the Roman Catholics, the Greek Orthodoxes, the Anglicans, the Baptists, the Methodists, the Unitarians, and many others besides.  They don't use the same Bible.  So how do you tell which one is the one that's true?

Offline Dante

• Reader
  • Darwins +70/-8
  • Hedonist Extraordinaire
« Reply #112 on: February 11, 2014, 12:23:00 PM »

Newsflash, Ace. So do you. The only difference is that you choose to be willfully ignorant of it; to ignore some of it because it doesn't fit your preconceived notions and your wishful thinking.
Actually it doesn't. One could conceivably be all-powerful but not exceptionally intelligent.

Offline Anfauglir

• Darwins +407/-5
« Reply #113 on: February 11, 2014, 12:27:39 PM »
I am faith and you are science.

That is a most interesting statement.  So you are saying that you have no firm evidence, no way of demonstrating your god actually exists, is that correct?  You just "have faith" that it does?

All very well and good for you, I'm sure.  But as has been said a few times in this thread: why should I or anyone else care about something you think is real, but cannot prove?  What reason - if any - can you give me to take your unprovable beliefs more seriously than that of a Hindu, or a Ba'hai, or an ancient Egyptian?

You are right, I think.  You don't really have a place here, because (so far as I can tell), all you are doing is saying "MY faith is real.  Believe it!"  Sorry, but it doesn't matter how often you say that, there are a clue of other people from all kinds of religions saying the same thing.  You're not original, you're nowhere near the first in line, so if you genuinely want people to take notice of your religion, then you need to offer a little more than "because I say so".
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +267/-31
« Reply #114 on: February 11, 2014, 12:32:44 PM »
Actually, he was belittling you, not your god.

I can see how bill might mistake the two.
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +618/-23
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #115 on: February 11, 2014, 12:35:34 PM »
Perhaps you are right, I do not belong here. 

That's not what I said.  I said you misunderstood how things work here.  We can get past that if you have the will and patience for it.

snotty comments like this are not helpful.  The world we live in is the exact same one as you.  And science makes it no smaller, no less beautiful, no less amazing.

I did not obey the rules therefore I must pay the consequences of that breech.

yes, well, that is a decision of the moderation staff.  You've not been moderated and my comments were meant to help you, not punish you or tell you to get lost.

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials