Author Topic: Trolling questions  (Read 1632 times)

Offline rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +37/-2
  • Did your parents raise you to be an idiot?
Re: Trolling questions
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2014, 12:58:33 PM »
This seems like fun, I am going to go off and troll some sites.  :D
Anyone ever troll Conservapedia?
A friend of mine was banned I think until the year 9999 for continually rewriting their Paul Reveal article to the accepted account of what happened after Sarah Palin made her comments. 
Here read a book.  It's free.
http://www.literatureproject.com/

Could a being create the fifty billion galaxies, each with two hundred billion stars, then rejoice in the smell of burning goat flesh?   Ron Patterson

Offline G-Roll

• Graduate
  • Darwins +42/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2014, 01:03:12 PM »
I think there isn’t a set definition as to what a troll is. I have discovered that it varies from forum to forum and from site to site. Perhaps even from mod to mod.
I used to post on Worthy Boards. Until I received my nonbeliever status and was limited posting in only one section of the forum. I was never called a troll in that forum but I still found it really lame to not only have a bright red title as nonbeliever but to also restrict individuals (nonbelievers) to one section of the entire forum. The reason I was given for restriction is that Worthy forums is a family friendly forum. 
I was also recently banned for being a troll at ultimate-guitar. I replied to a thread that was pretty old about a guitar I owned. There where specific questions about it that were never answered. The last post was a member bitching about necrobumping a thread or whatever you call it. So I posted all the info about the guitar and answered all the questions. But at the end of my post I wrote "And I don’t apologize for bumping this thread either because my post was both informative and entertaining." That at Ultimate-guitar is trolling.
I was placed in a hidden sub forum called the forum of the banned where there was about 6 pages of mods laughing at people they banned. I created a thread about my banned status and showed them what a troll is. I trolled the shit out of the stupid sub forum and introduced a misinformed mod as to what inflammatory statements actually are. You all would have been proud of me.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +307/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2014, 03:13:07 PM »
Just to let OCG know: that's how I found this website: I noticed a great deal of Christian websites banned or otherwise restricted atheists on their websites and I just started joining too many to count, creating an account and waited to see how long it took for me to be restricted (which when stating "atheist" usually was immediate) banned, or not even permitted on the website.

Churches are inviting to all, Christians[1] seem not to be.

And as you have experienced yourself, OCG, certain Christians are intolerant of other Christians.

You should go to google , put in Christian Hates Christian and read a varying degree of hatred by many Christians.

Here, or places like here, or in a another venue where the whole comes out as better together than not[2], is probably the only time different (or even for that matter: the same) don't stand against each other.

That's why when Christians say that the US is a "Christian Nation" people ask, "Which one?" Southern Baptist is the biggest denomination in the United States; if we were a theocracy it'd be Southern Baptist.

Christians in the US complain about being persecuted. They persecute themselves; atheists, other religions, no one but Christians in the US do more harm against Christians than Christians.

-Nam
 1. based on that experiment
 2. usually for their own selfish reason
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline Jesuis

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +10/-160
  • WWGHA Member
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2014, 08:04:54 PM »
With great power comes great responsibility
Mods always uses his/her power to ban someone whom they call a troll.
Basically it is removing the rights of someone they do not like on their forum/s.
Fear is at the heart of this protective power that they will not be able to further their work if they keep the "troll" posting.
According to Theists: Theists know God, Atheists don't.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +307/-82
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2014, 10:55:01 PM »
Basically it is removing the rights of someone they do not like on their forum/s.
Fear is at the heart of this protective power that they will not be able to further their work if they keep the "troll" posting.

You're an idiot, and don't quote Stan Lee, you insult him when you do.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2014, 07:51:07 AM »

It is called moderating. You have no "rights" in a private club. If you are disruptive and reducing the quality of the experience of others, you will be removed. If some guest in your house peed on the floor your would ban them for the "fear" that they would do so again.

Now quit your whining.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Online Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +89/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2014, 07:56:00 AM »

-Nam

I think he's ironically quoting Voltaire.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +307/-82
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2014, 05:00:31 PM »

-Nam

I think he's ironically quoting Voltaire.

Most of what people think is by Voltaire isn't, it's by someone else summing up what Voltaire said. Such as, ""I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" -- which Voltaire never said but the biographer Evelyn Beatrice Hall wrote in her book. It's her quote, not Voltaire's. Even at websites that love to be right they still attribute it to Voltaire. It's stupid. It's like someone saying what they think of me, and then others attributing that person's thoughts as something I said.

People are idiots.

-Nam

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +355/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2014, 05:08:46 PM »
People are idiots.

I think that's an Oscar Wilde quote.
*ducks*
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."
- Eddie Izzard

Offline ashlie

• Freshman
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2014, 05:28:33 PM »

I never heard of that site and thought trying my hand at some trolling sounded fun as well, so I checked it out and now my head hurts.
Thanks for that. >:(

Offline Jesuis

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +10/-160
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2014, 07:43:24 PM »

It is called moderating. You have no "rights" in a private club. If you are disruptive and reducing the quality of the experience of others, you will be removed. If some guest in your house peed on the floor your would ban them for the "fear" that they would do so again.

Now quit your whining.
Depends on the age and the mentality of the guest/s. Granted that not all my guests are grown ups.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2014, 11:07:26 PM »

Now quit your whining.
Depends on the age and the mentality of the guest/s. Granted that not all my guests are grown ups.

No one capable of typing on this site has the excuse of being too young to be potty trained.

Yes I am talking about you.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +307/-82
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2014, 12:11:30 AM »
People are idiots.

I think that's an Oscar Wilde quote.
*ducks*

(throws duck back)

Next time throw Daffy, Donald spits.

-Nam

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +307/-82
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2014, 12:16:42 AM »

I never heard of that site and thought trying my hand at some trolling sounded fun as well, so I checked it out and now my head hurts.
Thanks for that. >:(

Go to this website, they'll make you feel better: http://stormfront.org ;)

-Nam

Offline Jesuis

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +10/-160
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2014, 12:27:32 AM »

Now quit your whining.

No one capable of typing on this site has the excuse of being too young to be potty trained.

Yes I am talking about you.
Of course not all my guests are able to control their bladders when they have had a few either if you know what I mean. It does not surprise me that you are talking to me.

Offline ashlie

• Freshman
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2014, 01:52:10 AM »
Go to this website, they'll make you feel better: http://stormfront.org ;)

Nam you suck that is a horrible site!! stormfront is like a racist version of conservepedia on steroids. Brought to you by Paula Dean. 8)

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2014, 07:10:24 AM »

Interesting point.  Comparable to the way in which your god separates sinners/trolls from those who agree with him, would you say?  Does your god operate from a position of fear?
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +523/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2014, 11:47:21 AM »
Mods always uses his/her power to ban someone who on the balance of probabilities is a troll.
fixed
There is no right to be on any forum (except, perhaps your own and, even then, not entirely.)
A true troll does not fear banning.
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline Jesuis

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +10/-160
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2014, 03:58:32 PM »

-Nam
And you know that because you are him or psychic?

Offline Jesuis

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +10/-160
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2014, 04:00:54 PM »
Mods always uses his/her power to ban someone who on the balance of probabilities is a troll.
fixed
There is no right to be on any forum (except, perhaps your own and, even then, not entirely.)
A true troll does not fear banning.
A true troll? That should be truthfully defined.

Offline Jesuis

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +10/-160
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2014, 04:04:26 PM »

Interesting point.  Comparable to the way in which your god separates sinners/trolls from those who agree with him, would you say?  Does your god operate from a position of fear?
With all due respect - I failed trying to understand this reference.

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +87/-1
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2014, 07:10:50 PM »

I would guess that Anfauglir is making a reference to the belief that non-Christians are bound for hell. Is god afraid of them?

<<Mod: Fixed quotes>>
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 04:08:22 AM by Anfauglir »

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +557/-17
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2014, 07:12:06 PM »
When a person comes onto a website and starts breaking the rules, rules they should have read before they started posting, then it's more than enough of a justification to moderate or even ban them depending on how egregiously they act.  I don't think it has a thing to do with fear.  It's just a way to keep things operating reasonably smoothly, the same reason society has laws to maintain a reasonable level of civility in a society.

Offline Jesuis

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +10/-160
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2014, 08:06:59 PM »
When a person comes onto a website and starts breaking the rules, rules they should have read before they started posting, then it's more than enough of a justification to moderate or even ban them depending on how egregiously they act.  I don't think it has a thing to do with fear.  It's just a way to keep things operating reasonably smoothly, the same reason society has laws to maintain a reasonable level of civility in a society.
Rules are usually simple and easy to understand. But its technicality becomes obvious due too interpretation when lawyers get involved.
The same rules can be applied on a christian website as for a atheist website. Atheists have said they were banned on christian websites and Christians can say the same for bans on atheists websites.  Personally the authority figure needs to act to defend his special interest for both web sites. The troll causes the followers too much mental insecurity. As Captain Kirk would say - "Emotionally Compromised". This fear in their followers calls on them to act on their behalf.

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2014, 04:12:17 AM »

No problem - I'll explain a bit more.

Your point was that when a Mod excludes someone from their forum, they do so essentially because they dislike that person, because they fear them, because they worry that - to allow that person to remain and speak out - their "work" would be revealed as a sham.

I was asking if - when your god excludes someone from heaven - he was likewise only doing it because he disliked that person, feared them, worried that their presence in their heaven would expose them as a sham?

I was wondering whether you would be prepared to concede that there are legitimate grounds for excluding certain people from a particular place, that do not ultimately stem from fear and dislike?
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2014, 04:14:25 AM »
The same rules can be applied on a christian website as for a atheist website. Atheists have said they were banned on christian websites and Christians can say the same for bans on atheists websites.  Personally the authority figure needs to act to defend his special interest for both web sites. The troll causes the followers too much mental insecurity. .... This fear in their followers calls on them to act on their behalf.

So would you agree - since atheists are banned MUCH faster from Christian forums than believers are from atheist forums - that Christians fear what atheists will say far more than atheists fear what believers may say?

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +307/-82
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2014, 06:53:20 AM »
I've been banned from atheist forums, as well; and many other websites that have nothing to do with religion and/or atheism. However, not as quickly as from Christians. I was once banned before I even joined one website[1].

-Nam
 1. my user name and variants I've used in the psst; someone warned them

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +219/-4
  • I can haz jeezusburger™
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2014, 08:47:09 AM »
The troll causes the followers too much mental insecurity. As Captain Kirk would say - "Emotionally Compromised". This fear in their followers calls on them to act on their behalf.

You are implying that the insecurity comes from on-topic discussion.  Often it's a type of brinkmanship, seeing how far you can push the "rules". I've seen trolls on computer forums, who have nothing better to do, than troll off-topic, in a semi-abusive way, that makes people want to abuse them back, but the regular members don't feel that they can reply in kind, without being moderated, themselves. It's so easy to get people's back up, with a turn of phrase. In this case, moderation has to be based on "reporting", rather than replying to the troll, and thus hoping that the moderators will act on any complaint. Some forums have very strict moderation, to keep the forum on-topic, and free of abuse for "grown ups". I have some "grown up" people in my family, who think that the internet is trash, and I know what they would think of some of the things that get said on the internets. There is a different style of argument on the interwebs, which is prone to trollishness and attracts people who are: not particularly "grown up", mentally unstable, depressed, manipulative, patronizing, downright idiotic. 

A way you could troll this forum and not break the "rules", would be to snipe, without ever engaging in any deep conversation, which might reveal that you have any misgivings or personal depth. You would never admit that you learned that a particular snipe didn't actually work the first time, and would simply do it again and again.
Humans, in general, don't waste any opportunity to be unfathomably stupid - Dr Cynical.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +307/-82
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2014, 06:47:14 PM »

-Nam
And you know that because you are him or psychic?

Yes, I am him and a psychic. So, cease insulting him.

-Nam