Author Topic: A Christian "Quote of the Day"  (Read 1155 times)

Offline jtp56

• Graduate
  • Darwins +4/-66
  • WWGHA Member
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
A Christian "Quote of the Day"
« on: February 03, 2014, 10:07:01 PM »
In response to "Quote of the Day?"

The books of men have their day and grow obsolete.  God's Word is like Himself, "the same yesterday, today and forever." --Robert Payne Smith

Or

Men do not reject the Bible because it contradicts itself but because it contradicts them.

I gotta million of em
Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

Offline jtp56

• Graduate
  • Darwins +4/-66
  • WWGHA Member
Re: Why can't I post?????
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 10:11:43 PM »
I tried to reply directly, but, I remember months ago my posts were blocked for some reason.  Do you want an honest (where did the word honest come from?) debate?

For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

Offline jtp56

• Graduate
  • Darwins +4/-66
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 10:26:04 PM »
I'm not trolling.......I've hung around......no responses.......I'll try tomorrow.......And if you have no interest in an opposing view................

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +337/-85
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 10:33:42 PM »
Only staff can post in there. pm Star Stuff, I believe, with the quote, she may post it.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline jtp56

• Graduate
  • Darwins +4/-66
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 11:27:21 PM »
Let me back in!!!   Lets have at it!!!!  Come on!!

Offline jtp56

• Graduate
  • Darwins +4/-66
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 11:28:37 PM »
I'm back man!    I'm back....bring it on

Offline jtp56

• Graduate
  • Darwins +4/-66
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 11:46:42 PM »
Only staff can post in there. pm Star Stuff, I believe, with the quote, she may post it.

-Nam

Where is she?  Only staff?  Where is the debate?

Offline Willie

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +77/-1
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 12:46:49 AM »
Men do not reject the Bible because it contradicts itself but because it contradicts them.

Truly brilliant. Well, except for those pesky little details that the Bible is, in fact, quite riddled with contradictions, and that this is actually a pretty sensible reason to reject it, or at least parts of it.

I gotta million of em

You'd be wise not to advertise that.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 12:59:45 AM by Willie »

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +796/-6
  • If you are religious, you are misconcepted
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 12:49:26 AM »

-Nam

The quotations section is simply a place where Star Stuff puts quotes from various sources. If you want to debate the contents of a quote, just start a thread in the appropriate section and go at it.

There is no rule against debating the quote. We just don't do it in the specific thread.

So figure out which subject area you want to debate the quote under, start a thread, and wait for the fireworks or whatever it is you hope to get out of it.

Everything in life should be so easy.

Jesus, the cracker flavored treat!

Offline Willie

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +77/-1
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2014, 12:59:01 AM »
It would help if you quote the specific Quote of the Day post that you are replying to. Having little else to go on, I assume that you were referring to the most recent one, but I can't be completely sure, and this uncertainty will grow as your post ages and more QotD posts accumulate.

Offline OldChurchGuy

• Reader
  • Darwins +102/-2
  • One of those theists who enjoys exchanging ideas
Re: A Christian "Quote of the Day"
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2014, 08:34:56 AM »

The books of men have their day and grow obsolete.  God's Word is like Himself, "the same yesterday, today and forever." --Robert Payne Smith

Or

I gotta million of em

As statements of faith, the above quotes are excellent. 

What was your purpose in posting them?

Sincerely,

OldChurchGuy
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle - Philo of Alexandria

Whether one believes in a religion or not, and whether one believes in rebirth or not, there isn't anyone who doesn't appreciate kindness and compassion - Dalai Lama

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +703/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2014, 10:56:35 AM »

He.  Star Stuff is a man, baby. 

There is no debate in that thread. It is just a thread for good quotes provided by Star Stuff.  But you have the whole rest of the site for debate.

Also, the quotes you provided are not very good.  They do not provide any kind of insight or greater truth.  Just expressions of wishful thinking or, in the case of the latter one, bigotry.  It does you no credit to post them. 
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Online wheels5894

• Fellow
  • Darwins +114/-1
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2014, 11:15:33 AM »

Or

I gotta million of em

OK, so you believe the bible is the word of a god do you? So, since most here don't how about you lay out your evidence of this?
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)

Offline Jontom10

• Graduate
  • Darwins +14/-0
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2014, 12:52:24 PM »

Or

I gotta million of em

Gods' Word is like Himself, "the same bullshit yesterday, today and forever"

Men reject the bible because it is bullshit

Hasa Diga Eebowai

Online wheels5894

• Fellow
  • Darwins +114/-1
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2014, 12:57:53 PM »

I wouldn't go that far. Its a valuable historical document detailing how various ages of people thought about their religion and the world. It is interesting because of the period of time over which it was written and the historical events detailed therein. That doesn't mean it has the author of god or even that a god inspired the authors to write, though it probably does imply that the beliefs of the writers played a part in the writing.
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)

Online wheels5894

• Fellow
  • Darwins +114/-1
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2014, 01:00:50 PM »
Well for a guy so keen to have a debate, where is the OP? I thought he'd be here to defend his post... but nothing!

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +337/-85
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2014, 02:55:24 PM »

I wouldn't go that far. Its a valuable historical document detailing how various ages of people thought about their religion and the world. It is interesting because of the period of time over which it was written and the historical events detailed therein. That doesn't mean it has the author of god or even that a god inspired the authors to write, though it probably does imply that the beliefs of the writers played a part in the writing.

If one looks at each book from varying tribes during the time period then I agree there is an historical aspect to them. However, whether there's truth in them, or not, is up to historians, and many others in archeological/scientific fields or even theologians if from a non-biased viewpoint, or the laymen with the same direction. Of course this only applies to the originals not the updated versions.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +265/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2014, 03:14:18 PM »

Or

I gotta million of em

Yes and when you get your own website just like the 30000 other Christian websites, you can post them there, and I will not bother you.

But in the meantme, I will mock your crap for the crap it is.

Which is wrong after all, the Bible has been modified multiple times in history

Which is wrong because any position except no belief can be supported by the Bible: Pro Slavery? Go A verse for that Anti-slavery: Got a Verse for that. Pro Capital Punishment?: Got a Verse for that. Anti Capital Punishment? Got a Verse for that.  Men who reject the Bible reject it because it is contradiction to reality.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 03:18:24 PM by Hatter23 »
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Online wheels5894

• Fellow
  • Darwins +114/-1
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2014, 03:30:11 PM »
Good point Hatter! How many Christian denominations / sects are there? All with their own take on the bible.  It is testament (pun intended) to the wonderful way the author of the bible disseminated his thoughts so accurately!

Still wait for the OP to post again, by the way. He had 3 posts in 30 mins because no one answered him quickly enough.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +927/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2014, 04:21:12 PM »
1)The first quote is patently untrue.  :P

People have already brought up how differences in translated passages end up changing meanings, because so much stuff in the bible doesn't even exist in some cultures. How can Mideast desert imagery make any sense to people in the frozen arctic or tropical rainforest? (Hint: It doesn't.)

Nobody can pin down, to everyone's satisfaction, what is metaphorical, what is literal, what is required of everyone versus what is just a good idea. Congregations have fallen apart and new churches have formed over whether you have to baptize newborn babies to save them from hell. Same thing happened over civil rights and race; it is happening now over reproductive rights and gay marriage. Burn children as witches or not? Inquiring minds want to know.

And folks are good at just ignoring inconvenient parts of the bible; page after page of begats, the rated R sexual poetry, the rated R bloodthirsty warfare, the detailed instructions about how to decorate an altar for animal sacrifices, the zillions of crazy, strange laws and silly commandments, the pro-slavery stuff, the commie share all your worldly possessions stuff, the stuff about how you should obey your rulers, and Jesus saying you should heal the sick for free and pay lots of taxes.

No Christian able to read that first quote on the internet today believes the same things or practices in the same ways as Ethiopian Christians of 500 AD or Armenian Christians of 1600 AD or Dutch Christians of 1800 AD.

God's word has clearly been altered and reinterpreted with every cultural and language change-- or have the English-speaking US Protestant Christians of 2014 AD finally gotten the bible right? :D

2)The second quote could be said about any religion or philosophy (in appropriate accent) and would make just as much sense.....

Men (sic) do not reject the Quran because it contradicts itself but because it contradicts them.(Arabic accent.)

Men (sic) do not reject the Book of Mormon because it contradicts itself but because it contradicts them. (Utah accent.)

Men (sic) do not reject the Tao Te Ching because it contradicts itself but because it contradicts them. (Chinese accent.)

Men (sic) do not reject the Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures by Mary Baker Eddy because it contradicts itself but because it contradicts them. (Boston accent.)

Men (sic) do not reject the Hindu Gita because it contradicts itself but because it contradicts them.(Indian accent.)

Men (sic) do not reject the Wit and Wisdom of Mad Max because it contradicts itself but because it contradicts them.(Australian accent.)

The quote is therefore meaningless.  &)
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline lotanddaughters

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +49/-21
  • Artist: Simon Vouet (1633)
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2014, 04:54:38 PM »
The books of men have their day and grow obsolete.

The Bible is one such book.

God's Word is like Himself, "the same yesterday, today and forever."

Yeah . . . yet to be heard.

Men Christians do not reject the Bible because it contradicts itself but because it contradicts them, so they purposely misinterpret its true meaning.

Strike-through and bold are mine.
Enough with your bullshit.
. . . Mr. Friday . . . that post really is golden.

Offline Foxy Freedom

• Reader
  • Darwins +105/-12
  • Why is it so difficult to say you don't know?
    • Foxy Freedom on Doctor Who
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2014, 12:06:19 AM »

Or

I gotta million of em

I guess you have not noticed that religions die too. That is why you are not worshipping Zeus.

Religious sects proliferate and die on a daily basis, and personal beliefs are the most ephemeral of all since each person's belief changes according to experience and intelligence.

The difference between science and religion is that science tries to prove itself wrong whereas religion tries to prove itself right. When science discards old ideas, it does so on purpose.

One of the ideas which science discards is creation by gods. Science approaches reality by discarding false ideas so it is possible to be uncertain about where science will lead but certain that false ideas such as religion are false.

The reason that religious people feel so threatened by science is because it proves religion is false. That is why religious people keep repeating the mantra that "science cannot disprove religion" when it already has. That is why religious people make up pseudo sciences such as intelligent design. It is a clear sign that Christianity is starting to die and that Christianity is becoming as much a joke as Zeus.

The Foxy Freedom antitheist website is http://the6antitheist6guide6.blogspot.co.uk

The 2nd edition of the free ebook Devil or Delusion ? The danger of Christianity to Democracy Freedom and Science.       http://t.co/2d1KcJ9V

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +106/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2014, 12:36:16 AM »

Or

I gotta million of em
If the word of God is the same all the time,why have the men who follow him abandon his word (and teachings) as barbaric,sexist,racist.... It has been abandoned yet God is still racist,sexist,homophobic,barbaric..... you lose
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +337/-85
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2014, 12:39:12 AM »
"If the word of God is the same all the time, why has Christians revised the Bible so many times?" -- is a better question.

-Nam

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2014, 04:09:42 AM »

If Yahweh's word is the same yesterday and today, then all followers of Yahweh must practice their religion in the same way as Moses.  There can never have been any change to a "New Covenant", because the Word of God never changes.

Acceptance of a New Covenant is acceptance that what Yahweh wanted in 2,000BCE is NOT what Yahweh wants in 2000CE, and hence acceptance that Yahweh's Word is NOT eternal.
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Online wheels5894

• Fellow
  • Darwins +114/-1
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2014, 04:19:29 AM »
Well, at least JHWH bothered to tell us of a change. Old JTP56 appears not to be bothering to discuss now!

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +222/-4
  • I can haz jeezusburgerâ„¢
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2014, 04:38:37 AM »
The books of men have their day and grow obsolete.

The Bible is one such book.

The Old testament is one such book, because they changed it by sticking on the New Testament.
Humans, in general, don't waste any opportunity to be unfathomably stupid - Dr Cynical.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +337/-85
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2014, 05:31:57 AM »
The Bible is more of an anthology not a "book" in the sense y'all are speaking.

-Nam

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +97/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2014, 06:47:38 AM »
Are we just quoting the bible or quoting christians in general?

Its not a bad idea. some YEC's could provide us with a facepalm of the day.

I'll start with a quote  from a yesteryear christian;

Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us - God will avenge us.

uttered by Jacques de Molay - 18 March 1314 as the 74 year old was being burnt alive on the orders of the catholic church

In light of the above discuss the turning of cheeks.