Author Topic: Need to leave WWGHA for a bit  (Read 598 times)

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
Need to leave WWGHA for a bit
« on: February 03, 2014, 07:13:46 PM »
I've got one more class to finish for my degree, and it's kicking my rump.  I also started a new job about three weeks ago, and it's got a steep learning curve because it's the largest shop I've ever supported.  So I'm going to need to leave the forums for a bit -- school is over on March 30th, assuming I don't end up having to file for an extension, so I should be back around then.  I'll keep posting letters for the Mailbag, but I'm going to need to bow out of other moderator duties (mods and admins, please take note and handle that however you feel is appropriate).

See you in a while!
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +732/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
Re: Need to leave WWGHA for a bit
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 07:25:15 PM »
Good luck pd. Following your dreams can be a hassle sometimes. But worth it. Do well.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 07:33:24 PM »
Congratulations on your studies and your new job.  May you find them both rewarding. 

We look forward to seeing you back on the other side of the semester. 

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 07:40:04 PM »
Make us proud. Remember that if you fail, we won't consider you a failure apart from with regard to the areas in which you have failed.
The 2010 world cup was ruined for me by that slippery bastard Paul.

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +516/-18
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 08:08:42 PM »
My wife says that if you were a woman, you could have multitasked. I don't take too much notice of my wife on these matters but you may care to take a note...

Good luck, your wages on WWGHA will rise 23.8% if you are successful in the exam.
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Online wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +75/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 08:21:40 PM »
Life offers rather more than this forum alone. You'll be missed but welcome when you can spare the time, PD. Take care.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +732/-6
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 08:58:35 PM »
Life offers rather more than this forum alone.

Oh. I didn't know that! You sure? One of us may be misinformed.

Probably me.  ;D
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +299/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 10:42:54 PM »
My wife says that if you were a woman, you could have multitasked. I don't take too much notice of my wife on these matters but you may care to take a note...

Good luck, your wages on WWGHA will rise 23.8% if you are successful in the exam.

That's a lot of money. Going from $0.00 to £0.00 is just...WOW!

;)

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline Ivellios

• Reader
  • Darwins +52/-0
  • Seek and Ye Shall Find
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2014, 11:22:56 PM »
Good luck PD. Though some may say otherwise, real life takes precedence over WWGHA, especially when trying to make things for the better. 

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +299/-82
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2014, 11:52:29 PM »
Good luck PD. Though some may say otherwise, real life takes precedence over WWGHA, especially when trying to make things for the better. 

Blasphemer!

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline Ivellios

• Reader
  • Darwins +52/-0
  • Seek and Ye Shall Find
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2014, 09:11:04 PM »

Blasphemer!

-Nam

:P

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2014, 02:40:29 PM »
Best of luck to you!  I know you'll make us proud.  ;D
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +516/-18
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2014, 03:51:31 PM »
Has he gone yet? This is worse than a resurrection and ascension.

Always remember, you must never despair, Pianodwarf will return and when He does, atheists will rule the earth. The religious who worship ignorance and idols will be banished to Louisiana, Mississippi, Texas, Oklahoma and South Carolina. He will establish a kingdom of rationality ruled by a philosopher king who will be uninfluenced by superstition and Bronze Age fairy stories.

Donations to me, His Prophet, are available via PayPal.
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline bgb

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +8/-0
  • That felt great.
    • BGBART SHIRTS AND GIFTS
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2014, 06:48:40 PM »
May the force be with you.
The whole point of science is that most of it is uncertain. That's why science is exciting--because we don't know. Science is all about things we don't understand. The public, of course, imagines science is just a set of facts. But it's not.  Freeman Dyson

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2014, 12:17:46 PM »
Checking in briefly to say "hello" and advise of my progress -- we've got yet another snow day here in the DC area, and I'm taking advantage of the lull to be productive in various ways.

This last class, LIB-495, is called "Liberal Arts Capstone", and the basic idea is that you write an in-depth research paper of at least 6,500 words, following a rather rigid five-chapter structure with specifically delineated subsections.  This type of writing is foreign to me, which is one of two big reasons that the course had been giving me so much trouble.  (The other being that they're extremely particular about getting your "Works Cited" section formatted exactly correctly, which is a serious hassle.)  You're supposed to choose a topic related to your major that is in an area that you haven't examined in-depth in your previous coursework.

The twelve-week course is divided into six "modules", each two weeks long.  Module One is for your first draft of Chapter One, Module Two, first draft for Chapter Two, and so on, with Module Six being submission of final draft. (I completed Module Four yesterday.)  When I bowed out a while back, it was because Module Two was clobbering me.  I was a full week behind schedule, which I was very upset about.

I was so distraught about it that I started a thread about it in the "Class Discussion Lounge" section of the classroom forums, and I ended up being glad that I did.  One of my classmates told me that her best friend had completed LIB-495 recently and reported that Module Two was, by far, the most difficult one of the class.  Now that I'm starting on Module Five, I can definitely say that I agree with that assessment.  In case anyone happens to be curious, you can see the course syllabus here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1sDMvnfJRlWgR54LlQofqmplxYHMjdrIE5kbq2Y7DHnA/edit

So it's looking like it will be mostly a downhill run from here, and college will shortly be done.  My thesis topic, by the way, is "Does God Exist?"  Heh.  Heh.  :-)
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +124/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2014, 01:51:37 PM »
May the force be with you.

Ditto.   ;)
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +732/-6
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2014, 02:18:26 PM »
Hey pd, glad to hear that you might survive. We at WWGHA may not, but you will. All you have is a major paper due. We have some theists from hell. Trust me, you're much better off than us.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +299/-82
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2014, 02:22:36 PM »
Hey pd, glad to hear that you might survive. We at WWGHA may not, but you will. All you have is a major paper due. We have some theists from hell. Trust me, you're much better off than us.

Hell? I thought they were from la la land? ;)

-Nam

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2014, 07:41:52 AM »
School's done!  Got an "A" for my final class, now just waiting for the grade to be recorded by the registrar (when I'll also be finding out my final GPA) and my application for graduation to be approved, then my official graduation date will be June 6th.  I'm having my graduation party on April 26th, Saturday night, in a private room at a local steakhouse, with a full-service hosted bar, a variety of passed hors d'oeuvres, and a classical harpist providing background music.  That last is something I'm especially looking forward to.
http://www.laurastokesharp.com/watch.php

The whole shebang is going to set me back a pretty good chunk of change, and yes, it's a bit much for a bachelor's degree.  But inasmuch as this is probably going to be the single biggest milestone of my entire life, I don't think it's entirely unjustified.

I'm behind on absolutely everything right now, of course, so it may be a little while before I'm fully ramped back up into being a WWGHA forums person, but just letting everyone know that I'm in the process of returning.

Offline shnozzola

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2014, 08:05:54 AM »
Congratulations Pd.  After reading a bit about your course syllabus and hearing from others how online forums fit into online college courses, some of us should get a free forum discussion credit (some could get a BS for their time here) for the work here at WWGHA.  God will be displeased, though.  :)
“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something."  ~ T. H. White
  The real holy trinity:  onion, celery, and bell pepper ~  all Cajun Chefs

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2014, 08:43:16 AM »
I don't doubt for a moment but that there are quite a few people here who have the equivalent education of a bachelor's in philosophy, or even the equivalent of a fair amount of graduate-level education, without ever having studied it in college.  My diploma, when I get it, will seem like a rather modest accomplishment when I think about that.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +732/-6
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2014, 08:55:04 AM »
I agree, pd. Congratulations are in order.  So while I'll never be anle to impress you with big words any more, at least I now know someone who took a bit longer than me to get their degree.

Don't celebrate with the drink too much or you'll return with a new name: harpdwarf!

And you would go a long way towards calming her if you would reassure nogodsforme that you're not after her teaching job.  ;D

And may the next thing on your bucket list involve a tropical paradise or Mt. Everest or something.

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2014, 09:33:18 AM »
I'm sure Laura would be absolutely thrilled if I were to grab her and throw her to the floor so I could try playing her harp myself.  Or maybe she wouldn't.  Who knows.  *cough*  Regardless, I will be having margaritas and my share of the various appetizers.  The party is going to be at the Morton's Steakhouse in Bethesda.
http://www.mortons.com/bethesda/privatedining/

The samples from Laura's web site all look really nice, and she's also agreed to play one of my favorite pieces of music ever, once I was able to get the sheet music for it.  It was originally written for piano, but she says it transposed to the harp pretty easily, so I'm looking forward to hearing her play it.

Teaching is not a job I'd ever be interested in, so NGFM has nothing to worry about.  And not just for that reason, either.  I doubt a BA in Philosophy would get me very far in that field.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +732/-6
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2014, 09:43:20 AM »
Having just recently discovered Zoe Keating on iTunes, I do appreciate your musical preferences. Have a great party, and I'd join you but you made the terrible decision to live almost all the way across the country from me. But I, and I'm sure many others here, will be with you in spirit.

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +516/-18
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2014, 10:37:17 AM »
I don't doubt for a moment but that there are quite a few people here who have the equivalent education of a bachelor's in philosophy, or even the equivalent of a fair amount of graduate-level education, without ever having studied it in college.  My diploma, when I get it, will seem like a rather modest accomplishment when I think about that.
That is very philosophical - the course must have worked.

Well done.