Author Topic: Hell VS Heaven? (Aimed at theists, Satirical to Atheists)  (Read 1613 times)

Offline OldChurchGuy

• Reader
  • Darwins +190/-3
  • One of those theists who enjoys exchanging ideas
Re: Hell VS Heaven? (Aimed at theists, Satirical to Atheists)
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2014, 05:16:46 PM »
Some of the Gnostics back in the time of Jesus and afterward had an interesting theory as I recall. 

They explained the evil in the world as being created by a lesser god known as Yaweh.  Jesus of Nazareth was sent by the superior god to enlighten all with the teachings of this superior god.  Some teachings were made public and others were taught in secret only to the Disciples.  To learn the "secret" teachings of Jesus one had to join the Gnostics.  As you can imagine, such ideas did not go well with the orthodox believers of the time. 

To the best of my knowledge, the Gnostics were not as structured as Scientology by offering enlightenment based on available money.  And, to the best of my knowledge, the Gnostics were not able to explain why this superior god allowed this inferior god to create such a flawed universe.

End of lecture.

OldChurchGuy

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle - Philo of Alexandria

Whether one believes in a religion or not, and whether one believes in rebirth or not, there isn't anyone who doesn't appreciate kindness and compassion - Dalai Lama

Offline ThatZenoGuy

• Reader
  • Darwins +94/-24
  • Residential Sexy Anthro Goddess
    • Spacebattles Account.
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2014, 06:36:07 PM »
The Bible makes more sense if you assume YHWH to be Satan, and vice-versa. Just saying.

So, in this satire, Satan accidently or intentionally created a being that was more powerful and far more evil than Satan.  Or perhaps Satan isn't evil, and just created something more powerful than Satan which became evil and we know this being as YHWH.

This makes some sense, if you're going to create something, wouldn't you attempt to create something that might be able to help you in some way which might require giving that something more power than you.  This also probably has more explainitory power than the traditional view of the Christian god.

Sounds like an M. Night Shyamalan movie.

Rule 1: No pooftas. Rule 2: No maltreating the theists, IF, anyone is watching. Rule 3: No pooftas. Rule 4: I do not want to see anyone NOT drinking after light out. Rule 5: No pooftas. Rule 6: There is NO...rule 6.

Offline SevenPatch

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +108/-4
  • A source will help me understand.
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2014, 07:06:08 PM »
"Shut him up! We have a lot invested in this ride - SHUT HIM UP! Look at my furrows of worry! Look at my big bank account, and my family! This just HAS to be real!" - Bill Hicks