Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 658 times)

Offline cwschizzy

• Student
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • WWGHA Member
    • Absurdity in Religion
Introduction
« on: January 30, 2014, 02:59:30 PM »
Hello, I am Dylan. I am currently a student. I have been an atheist of varying intensity since I was about 8. Prior to that, I believed in the Greek mythology. I learned to read with such books, so I can't blame myself.
Although I've always had an interest in religion and such, it's been too intense. I've been debating believers since I was a young child though. It's either fun or infuriating, or a nauseous mix of the two.
After my roommate and I had a spat over it, I had an urge to connect in some way. I started a piddly little Facebook group, I figured joining here was a natural progression. It's a nice mix of intellectualism and humor.
Belief is irrelevant; the truth is not a democracy.
facebook.com/AbsurdityinReligion

Offline Boots

• Reader
  • Darwins +96/-0
  • Living the Dream
Re: Introduction
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 03:28:08 PM »
Welcome cwschizzy!  A previous believer in Greek mythology is something I don't recall having seen on this forum.  I'm a little surprised you didn't go with a username related to that, lots of great choices.

anyhoo, nice to have another new face.  Jump right in, the water's only slightly filled with chum and the resultant sharks.   ;)
* Religion: institutionalized superstition, period.

"Many of my ultra-conservative Republican friends...have trouble accepting the idea God is not a Republican. " ~OldChurchGuy

"We humans may never figure out the truth, but I prefer trying to find it over pretending we know it."  ~ParkingPlaces

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +79/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 04:13:34 PM »
Welcome to the forum, cwschwizzy. Interesting that you've been an atheist from a young age; what's your family's religious background (if any)?
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline cwschizzy

• Student
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • WWGHA Member
    • Absurdity in Religion
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 08:26:51 PM »
Merci to you both. My parents are both "Christian" in the social sense. I only ever went to church when my mother forced me to. When I figured out the Greek mythology was null, I pretty much assumed that about every other religion too. As I grew older and began to research, I was unsurprisingly right.

Offline Shaffy

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +8/-1
  • Im A Realist ;)
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 02:59:48 PM »
Welcome!
We humans may never figure out the truth, but I prefer trying to find it over pretending we know it.

~ParkingPlaces

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +285/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 03:05:23 PM »
Welcome to the forum.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2014, 06:37:53 PM »
Welcome. I'm sure that you will find connections and stimulating discussions here.  And we look forward to learning more about you. 

Offline SevenPatch

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +108/-4
  • A source will help me understand.
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 01:37:41 PM »
Welcome Cwschizzy!
"Shut him up! We have a lot invested in this ride - SHUT HIM UP! Look at my furrows of worry! Look at my big bank account, and my family! This just HAS to be real!" - Bill Hicks

Offline Ramona

• Novice
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
New
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2014, 02:39:41 AM »
Hi Friends,
My Name is Ramona,I'm also  new to this forum

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +79/-1
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2014, 02:50:11 AM »
^^^Welcome to the forum, Ramona.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline viocjit

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +4/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2014, 01:35:18 PM »
Welcome to the forum ! an ex-believer in Greek mythology. This is such uncommon that I think that there are maybe more pagans of all kind that we think.

Offline cwschizzy

• Student
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • WWGHA Member
    • Absurdity in Religion
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2014, 07:18:57 PM »
an ex-believer in Greek mythology. This is such uncommon that I think that there are maybe more pagans of all kind that we think.

Given the historical pattern of new religions borrowing and building from older myths, I would probably agree with you. The Roman mythology and Bible are wonderful examples of that layering design.

Offline Jon

• Novice
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2014, 12:10:07 AM »
Hello all.   I am Jon and been a non believer all my life.   Religion was never mentioned one way or the other in our home, therefore I had an advantage from the gitgo.  I have wished for a forum such as this for a long time and feel I am most fortunate in finding it. 

Assalamu alaikum  (Peace be upon you)

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +769/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2014, 12:48:40 AM »
Welcome Jon, and thanks for having the easiest name to remember.If I had any brains, I would have just gone by Bob and been done with it.

Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +130/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2014, 07:10:41 PM »
It's a nice mix of intellectualism and humor.

Humor requires intelligence. The more obscure the humor, the more intelligent you are.

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +79/-1
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2014, 11:14:11 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Jon. Feel free to start your own Intro thread; are you from a Muslim background?
--Marcus Aurelius