Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 1110 times)

Offline cwschizzy

• Student
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • WWGHA Member
    • Absurdity in Religion
Introduction
« on: January 30, 2014, 02:59:30 PM »
Hello, I am Dylan. I am currently a student. I have been an atheist of varying intensity since I was about 8. Prior to that, I believed in the Greek mythology. I learned to read with such books, so I can't blame myself.
Although I've always had an interest in religion and such, it's been too intense. I've been debating believers since I was a young child though. It's either fun or infuriating, or a nauseous mix of the two.
After my roommate and I had a spat over it, I had an urge to connect in some way. I started a piddly little Facebook group, I figured joining here was a natural progression. It's a nice mix of intellectualism and humor.
Belief is irrelevant; the truth is not a democracy.
facebook.com/AbsurdityinReligion

Offline Boots

• Reader
  • Darwins +118/-0
  • Living the Dream
Re: Introduction
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 03:28:08 PM »
Welcome cwschizzy!  A previous believer in Greek mythology is something I don't recall having seen on this forum.  I'm a little surprised you didn't go with a username related to that, lots of great choices.

anyhoo, nice to have another new face.  Jump right in, the water's only slightly filled with chum and the resultant sharks.   ;)
...religion is simply tribalism with a side order of philosophical wankery, and occasionally a baseball bat to smash...anyone who doesn't show...deference to the tribe's chosen totem.

~Astreja

To not believe in god is to know that it falls to us to make the world a better place.

~Sam Harris

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +104/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 04:13:34 PM »
Welcome to the forum, cwschwizzy. Interesting that you've been an atheist from a young age; what's your family's religious background (if any)?
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline cwschizzy

• Student
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • WWGHA Member
    • Absurdity in Religion
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 08:26:51 PM »
Merci to you both. My parents are both "Christian" in the social sense. I only ever went to church when my mother forced me to. When I figured out the Greek mythology was null, I pretty much assumed that about every other religion too. As I grew older and began to research, I was unsurprisingly right.

Offline Shaffy

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +8/-1
  • Im A Realist ;)
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 02:59:48 PM »
Welcome!
We humans may never figure out the truth, but I prefer trying to find it over pretending we know it.

~ParkingPlaces

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +344/-41
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 03:05:23 PM »
Welcome to the forum.
My names are many, yet I am One.
-Orion, Son of Fire, Sol Invictus.

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2014, 06:37:53 PM »
Welcome. I'm sure that you will find connections and stimulating discussions here.  And we look forward to learning more about you. 

Offline SevenPatch

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +108/-4
  • A source will help me understand.
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 01:37:41 PM »
Welcome Cwschizzy!
"Shut him up! We have a lot invested in this ride - SHUT HIM UP! Look at my furrows of worry! Look at my big bank account, and my family! This just HAS to be real!" - Bill Hicks

Offline Ramona

• Novice
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
New
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2014, 02:39:41 AM »
Hi Friends,
My Name is Ramona,I'm also  new to this forum

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +104/-1
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2014, 02:50:11 AM »
^^^Welcome to the forum, Ramona.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline viocjit

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +4/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2014, 01:35:18 PM »
Welcome to the forum ! an ex-believer in Greek mythology. This is such uncommon that I think that there are maybe more pagans of all kind that we think.

Offline cwschizzy

• Student
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • WWGHA Member
    • Absurdity in Religion
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2014, 07:18:57 PM »
an ex-believer in Greek mythology. This is such uncommon that I think that there are maybe more pagans of all kind that we think.

Given the historical pattern of new religions borrowing and building from older myths, I would probably agree with you. The Roman mythology and Bible are wonderful examples of that layering design.

Offline Jon

• Novice
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2014, 12:10:07 AM »
Hello all.   I am Jon and been a non believer all my life.   Religion was never mentioned one way or the other in our home, therefore I had an advantage from the gitgo.  I have wished for a forum such as this for a long time and feel I am most fortunate in finding it. 

Assalamu alaikum  (Peace be upon you)

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +939/-6
  • I'm very stoic, except when there is an easier way
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2014, 12:48:40 AM »
Welcome Jon, and thanks for having the easiest name to remember.If I had any brains, I would have just gone by Bob and been done with it.

It isn't true that non-existent gods can't do anything. For instance, they were able to make me into an atheist.

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +132/-7
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2014, 07:10:41 PM »
It's a nice mix of intellectualism and humor.

Humor requires intelligence. The more obscure the humor, the more intelligent you are.

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +104/-1
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2014, 11:14:11 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Jon. Feel free to start your own Intro thread; are you from a Muslim background?
--Marcus Aurelius