Author Topic: "Resurrecting Surviving Neandertal Lineages from Modern Human Genomes"  (Read 419 times)

Offline shnozzola

Neanderthals died out long ago, but their genes live on in us. Scientists studying human chromosomes say they've discovered a surprising amount of Neanderthal DNA in our genes. And these aren't just random fragments; they help shape what we look like today, including our hair and skin.

These genes crept into our DNA tens of thousands of years ago, during occasional sexual encounters between Neanderthals and human ancestors who lived in Europe at the time. They show up today in their descendants, people of European and Asian descent.

Evolution.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2014/01/28/267923336/neanderthal-genes-live-on-in-our-hair-and-skin

http://www.sciencemag.org/content/early/2014/01/28/science.1245938
“I wanna go ice fishing on Europa, and see if something swims up to the camera lens and licks it.”- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +297/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: "Resurrecting Surviving Neandertal Lineages from Modern Human Genomes"
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 08:54:45 PM »
That's why I am such an asshole.

;)

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 04:33:16 PM »
Some studies have come up recently the Neanderthal weren't even qualified as quasi-speciation, but rather a sub class of Homo-sapiens no more genetically different than Mongoloid, Negroid, and Caucasiod. No sterility arose.

I was rather shocked to hear that.

The article you attached was more in line to what I've previously heard.

An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Online SevenPatch

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +106/-4
  • A source will help me understand.
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 04:40:57 PM »
Interesting.  This appears to be rather new information as the research was submitted in Septembmer 2013.
"Shut him up! We have a lot invested in this ride - SHUT HIM UP! Look at my furrows of worry! Look at my big bank account, and my family! This just HAS to be real!" - Bill Hicks

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +274/-34
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 04:44:46 PM »
DNA is just a theory.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 04:46:18 PM »
Interesting.  This appears to be rather new information as the research was submitted in Septembmer 2013.

It may have been a different set of data and researchers, with a similar conclusion.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.