Author Topic: Why are scientists afraid of god?  (Read 23962 times)

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
  • Retired Residential Tulpamancer.
Re: Why are scientists afraid of god?
« Reply #580 on: January 22, 2014, 10:44:19 PM »
You mean....Satan has the ability to create life? :o

Yep, sure.

I mean, remember the snake? There is no such thing as a talking snake!

Thus satan-did-it.

Rule 1: No pooftas. Rule 2: No maltreating the theists, IF, anyone is watching. Rule 3: No pooftas. Rule 4: I do not want to see anyone NOT drinking after light out. Rule 5: No pooftas. Rule 6: There is NO...rule 6.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +354/-85
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #581 on: January 23, 2014, 08:57:30 PM »
It was a talking serpent, not snake. Serpents can talk not snakes. Except that one from Robin Hood, and that other one from Harry Potter.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +97/-2
« Reply #582 on: January 24, 2014, 01:40:27 AM »
Hang on ... Adam and Eve were members of Slytherin house?!
Does this mean the fall caused there to be muggles?
Did Cain's soul fracture when he killed Abel?
Is THAT what's inside the Ark of the Covenant? Cain's horcrux?!!!
That would make SO much sense!!!
Science: I'll believe it when I see it
Faith: I'll see it when I believe it

Schrodinger's thunderdome! One cat enters and one MIGHT leave!

Without life, god has no meaning.

Offline Boots

• Reader
  • Darwins +101/-0
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #583 on: January 24, 2014, 12:16:07 PM »
It was a talking serpent, not snake. Serpents can talk not snakes. Except that one from Robin Hood, and that other one from Harry Potter.

-Nam

dude, all snakes can talk.  You have to be a parselmouth to understand them.  duh!
It's one of the reasons I'm an atheist today.  I decided to take my religion seriously, and that's when it started to fall apart for me.
~jdawg70

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +941/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #584 on: January 24, 2014, 05:54:21 PM »
Did we ever figure out why scientists all over the world are hiding under lab tables, quivering in fear behind their microscopes, and huddled sobbing in the break room with their lab coats over their heads?

God.

No, just kidding.

The scientists I know are not afraid of god--my hard core science geek friends don't even think about god that much....

What really scares them is loss of grant funding, TA's who don't speak English, cross-contamination of the petri dish, or maybe the prospect of another pointless debate with ignorant fundies.  :o
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline jaimehlers

• Professor
  • Darwins +599/-19
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #585 on: January 24, 2014, 07:57:27 PM »
or maybe the prospect of another pointless debate with ignorant fundies.  :o
You can hand them off to me if you like.  While I don't precisely enjoy the experience of smashing down their arguments, it does let me work out some of my stress.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +354/-85
« Reply #586 on: January 24, 2014, 08:01:15 PM »
You can hand them off to me if you like.  While I don't precisely enjoy the experience of smashing down their arguments, it does let me work out some of my stress.

One of the main reasons why I joined this website. Good stress reliever.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +265/-8
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #587 on: January 24, 2014, 09:15:31 PM »

-Nam

Bing. Same here. I may have to kow tow to superstitious nonsense at work and with family. Not here.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #588 on: January 24, 2014, 10:04:24 PM »
This thread could be turned into a horror story so esaily...

Just imagine for a moment.

*Somewhere, in the high tech labs of humanity, there lies a great fear*

Theist: God.

Scientists: IT BURNS!!!!!!! GAHHHHHH *hides under table like cockroaches*.
Rule 1: No pooftas. Rule 2: No maltreating the theists, IF, anyone is watching. Rule 3: No pooftas. Rule 4: I do not want to see anyone NOT drinking after light out. Rule 5: No pooftas. Rule 6: There is NO...rule 6.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +354/-85
« Reply #589 on: January 25, 2014, 12:23:03 AM »

-Nam

Bing. Same here. I may have to kow tow to superstitious nonsense at work and with family. Not here.

Well, mine is more in the actual arguing more than relenting, which I rarely do anyway. Recently, an aunt of mine kept calling me a "jerk" and by the fifth time I replied to her, "You know, for one who is so set on no profanity being said in her house you don't seem to have a problem with name-calling and since you don't if you continue calling me a "jerk" I'm going to start calling you aunt Bitch." She was speechless. Was I being a jerk? Yes but it's irrelevant based on her "no profanity in my house" rule; and calling someone a "jerk" is being profane. Why people think water-downed versions of words are actually not those words is beyond me.

Anyway...

-Nam

Offline Reedy

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #590 on: January 31, 2014, 01:43:19 AM »
Cars are obviously created and created for a very specific purpose.  The world is not obviously created at all.  In fact it is obviously purposeless.  The argument from design is specious.

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #591 on: January 31, 2014, 01:54:32 AM »
Cars are obviously created and created for a very specific purpose.  The world is not obviously created at all.  In fact it is obviously purposeless.  The argument from design is specious.

Trust me, that is not going to do squat to a theist.

You could link EVERY single design flaw, and every species selectively bred by humans, and it would not get through...

Offline median

• Reader
  • Darwins +201/-16
  • Yahweh: Obviously not obvious.
    • Talk Origins
« Reply #592 on: January 31, 2014, 01:28:40 PM »

You could link EVERY single design flaw, and every species selectively bred by humans, and it would not get through...

Yes, they would just come back with the "sin of the gaps" argument. "What design flaws? God made us without flaws but we sinned at it caused the fall!"
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Carl Sagan

Offline SevenPatch

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +108/-4
  • A source will help me understand.
« Reply #593 on: January 31, 2014, 02:08:03 PM »

Yes, they would just come back with the "sin of the gaps" argument. "What design flaws? God made us without flaws but we sinned at it caused the fall!"

This makes me wonder why sin wouldn't be considered a flaw.  Still, I guess they would come back with the Free will thing.   But then I would wonder, is free will a flaw then.

Oh well.
"Shut him up! We have a lot invested in this ride - SHUT HIM UP! Look at my furrows of worry! Look at my big bank account, and my family! This just HAS to be real!" - Bill Hicks

Offline Reedy

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #594 on: January 31, 2014, 04:26:57 PM »
jusy saying...  :)

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +941/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #595 on: January 31, 2014, 09:36:11 PM »

This makes me wonder why sin wouldn't be considered a flaw.  Still, I guess they would come back with the Free will thing.   But then I would wonder, is free will a flaw then.

Oh well.

Yup. The buck stops at gods big holy celestial desk. No matter where you start, all roads lead back to this god just not giving a damn, or being a monumental screw-up.
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Reedy

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #596 on: February 02, 2014, 02:12:29 PM »
I get that... but most people fail to overcome their childhood indoctrination.