Author Topic: GOD IS SILENT  (Read 1440 times)

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-80
  • "Question Everything"
GOD IS SILENT
« on: January 27, 2014, 07:22:24 AM »
I WISH THAT RELIGIOUS PEOPLE WOULD SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE SILENCE OF GOD.

They make so much noise you can't hear God. IMO.  Take your leaders advice, Jesus, and be careful of your words.  It's not what goes in your mouth it's what comes out of it.

Much Love,

JB
Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man.
Thomas Paine

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/t/thomas_paine.html#XXwlhVIMq06zWg2d.99

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
  • Residential Tulpamancer.
Re: GOD IS SILENT
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 08:09:38 AM »
Are you saying god is silent? 9_6
Rule 1: No pooftas. Rule 2: No maltreating the theists, IF, anyone is watching. Rule 3: No pooftas. Rule 4: I do not want to see anyone NOT drinking after light out. Rule 5: No pooftas. Rule 6: There is NO...rule 6.

Offline penfold

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +63/-4
  • ...buzz buzz buzz...
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 08:21:57 AM »
I WISH THAT RELIGIOUS PEOPLE WOULD SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE SILENCE OF GOD.

Join the Quakers?
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away." - P.K.D.

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-80
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 08:34:45 AM »
Last time I checked Yes.

Quakers are too primitive for me. ;)

Plus I'm gay.  I've actually considered a Buddhist monastery though. ;)
Thomas Paine

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/t/thomas_paine.html#XXwlhVIMq06zWg2d.99

Offline wheels5894

• Reader
  • Darwins +106/-1
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 09:03:43 AM »
I think that the fact that god is silent is one of the things that makes people atheists like the people on this forum. He has been silent so long that, really, it is almost as though he isn't there. He seems to have been active in the OT times and into the time of Jesus - remember the voice after Jesus was baptised - but since then, nothing.

Old Mo only got his text from a messenger (angelos in Greek is messenger) and so did Joseph Smith. Its like the head guy has gone on extended leave or never really existed anyway. I go for the latter.
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 09:19:51 AM »
Old Mo only got his text from a messenger (angelos in Greek is messenger) and so did Joseph Smith. Its like the head guy has gone on extended leave or never really existed anyway. I go for the latter.

I personally would be sold, if there was a religion describing a lovely deity who hands out kittens and fireworks, and the actual evidence in the world agreed with it.

But of course, every religion has no proof, and always describes a hateful asshole of a deity.

Edit: Wow, this earnt me major +darwins...
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 09:57:55 AM by Angus and Alexis »
Rule 1: No pooftas. Rule 2: No maltreating the theists, IF, anyone is watching. Rule 3: No pooftas. Rule 4: I do not want to see anyone NOT drinking after light out. Rule 5: No pooftas. Rule 6: There is NO...rule 6.

Offline Andy S.

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +35/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 10:21:40 AM »

I personally would be sold, if there was a religion describing a lovely deity who hands out kittens and fireworks, and the actual evidence in the world agreed with it.

But of course, every religion has no proof, and always describes a hateful asshole of a deity.

Angus and Alexis, Mitt Romney is the person somewhat hidden behind the cats.  Since you are looking for a deity that "hands out kittens and fireworks", maybe this is some evidence for you that Mormonism is the right religion and Mitt Romney is the "lovely deity" you are looking for.

Although this might be proof for you I would have to say that this is still an "asshole of a deity".  :laugh:

Link:

http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mc84ek2rK91rusd4ao1_500.jpg

"The most detestable wickedness, the most horrid cruelties, and the greatest miseries, that have afflicted the human race, have had their origin in this thing called revelation, or revealed religion."
~Thomas Paine (The Age of Reason)

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 10:25:33 AM »
Although this might be proof for you I would have to say that this is still an "asshole of a deity".  :laugh:

Well, I do not see him giving ME any fireworks and kittens, thus he is an asshole of a deity ;D.

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-80
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 11:43:45 AM »
I think the silence shows that God's ultimate goal is for us to experience freedom.  I believe God wants us to be happy and the bible Old Mo wanted us to be miserable, self loathing murderers. 

If God influences us at all then free will is out the door, IMHO. 

Thought I'd share this beautiful song

Thomas Paine

Offline wheels5894

• Reader
  • Darwins +106/-1
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2014, 11:46:08 AM »
I think the silence shows that God's ultimate goal is for us to experience freedom.  I believe God wants us to be happy and the bible Old Mo wanted us to be miserable, self loathing murderers. 

If you are right, June, and your god want's people to experience freedom, how do we distinguish him from an non-existent god?
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2014, 11:52:46 AM »

One issue of this.

Okay, so god is silent, and thus no one can know god. (As he cannot be sensed in any way).

So, is there a heaven and hell?
If so, the god is not very nice, burning people (or rewarding them) without their certain knowledge of the god.

Influences can be ignored, or accepted.
One could influence myself to do something, in the end, it is my decision.
Influences simply persuade people to do things.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +621/-23
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2014, 12:04:31 PM »

Influences can be ignored, or accepted.
One could influence myself to do something, in the end, it is my decision.
Influences simply persuade people to do things.

You seem to be talking about something akin to "persuasion" or some event or action that leaves an impresion on someone.  I don't think that is what she means. 
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2014, 12:10:30 PM »
You seem to be talking about something akin to "persuasion" or some event or action that leaves an impresion on someone.  I don't think that is what she means.

If her intention was something that is forced, she should of used "If god were to force us, free will it out the door".

But she used "influences" which is a synonym of "persuade".

:D

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +621/-23
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2014, 12:19:35 PM »
If her intention was something that is forced, she should of used "If god were to force us, free will it out the door".

1. "should of" should be "should have".  There is no such grammatical construct as "should of".  "Should of" is what you get when people poorly enunciate "should have". 

2. Why are you being defensive?  I'm just trying to facilitate a conversation by pointing out you have apparently misunderstood.  Instead of saying, "gee Screwtape, I hadn't thought of it that way. Thanks for helping," you try to throw her under the bus to absolve yourself of any error.  That is both ungrateful and unkind. 

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline Andy S.

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +35/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2014, 12:33:49 PM »

Well, I do not see him giving ME any fireworks and kittens, thus he is an asshole of a deity ;D.

Hebrews 11:1 states, "Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen". 

Just because you don't see Mitt Romney giving you fireworks and kittens doesn't mean that he is not giving you fireworks and kittens.

I gave you visual evidence that Mitt Romney hands out fireworks and kittens you just have to have faith that he gives you fireworks and kittens.  You have to have this "conviction of things not seen".  Just as Christians believe that Jesus is around them all the time (Matt. 28:20) you just have to have faith that fireworks and kittens are around you all the time even though you can't see them. :?

On a more serious note, this definition of "faith" that the bible puts forth in Hebrews 1 should put a nail (excuse the pun) in the coffin for the religion of Christianity.  IMO the word faith should not even be used since one definition of the word is, "belief that is not based on proof" (dictionary.com).  The god of the bible (if he exists) is a jerk to remain SILENT and give humans a verse in his revealed word that says faith is "the conviction of things not seen".  Especially when eternal paradise or damnation are in the balances.

But wait, the god of the bible isn't silent according to Christians because he speaks through his revealed word called the bible right?  Can't we humans metephorically SEE god through reading his revealed word?  If god's word is "inspired" by him shouldn't we as humans expect his word to be non-contradicting?   

In addition, it is soooo clear in the bible that people are blessed if they don't see Jesus but still believe in him.  I definitely don't think that the god of the bible is fair because different rules apply to different people.  For instance, compare myself to Thomas.  I am surrounded by Christians who say that I am too much of a skeptic but I will be blessed if "even though I do not see, I should believe" as it says in John 21:29 about Thomas.

Side note: It is amazing to me that Thomas didn't believe that Jesus resurrected from the dead even though he witnessed the resurrection of Lazurus among many other unbelievable miracles that Jesus supposedly performed. According to the bible, Thomas didn't believe in the resurrection of Jesus just like other disciples (Matt. 28:17).

Personal note to Christians: As an individual in the 21st century who hasn't seen Jesus, all I'm given is a contradictory "word of God" which, if I don't believe in it, I will burn in hell. I am given a contradictory genealogy of Jesus (compare Matt. 1 and Luke 3). I am given a contradictory time of death from these supposed eyewitnesses (compare Mark 15:25 with John 19:14). I am given a contradictory day of death from these supposed eye witnesses among many other contradictions. Did Jesus die on the afternoon on the day before the Passover meal (Jn. 18:28, 19;24) or the mid-morning on the day after the Passover meal (Mk. 14:12, 15:25)?  Is it fair that Thomas was able to see Jesus in the first century but now Jesus is hidden and silent and all I'm given is a contradictory bible?

BUT WAIT!  Did the story about doubting Thomas even happen.  The author of Luke doesn't think so.  Luke wouldn't think the doubting Thomas story is even reliable. Did Jesus say to Thomas, “Reach here with your finger, and see My hands; and reach here your hand and put it into My side; and do not be unbelieving, but believing” in the first post resurrection appearance of Jesus? Probably not because Luke says that Thomas WAS PRESENT at Jesus' first post resurrection appearance (Luke 24:33). Well maybe I'm wrong. Here are my options:

Option 1: Thomas was present at Jesus' first post resurrection appearance (Luke 24:33)

Option 2: Thomas was NOT present at Jesus' first post resurrection appearance (John 20:24)

Option 3: This story didn't even happen.

Option 4: Thomas was both absent and present at Jesus' first post resurrection and those who don't believe this option are "spiritually appraised" and are "blinded" by the "god of this world" (2 Cor. 4:4).

The Christian survey saaayyys, option #4.

My conclusion as an atheist:  Christians who claim to be blessed by not seeing Jesus even though Jesus is "with them always" (Matt. 28:20) is just like people who say they are surrounded by angels and demons or "fireworks and kittens". 

The fact that the truthfulness of the bible is one proof for the Christian god is problematic for Christians.  False "divinely inspired" Bible = False god or a non-existent god.     
"The most detestable wickedness, the most horrid cruelties, and the greatest miseries, that have afflicted the human race, have had their origin in this thing called revelation, or revealed religion."
~Thomas Paine (The Age of Reason)

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +621/-23
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2014, 12:39:04 PM »
Mitt answers prayers for kittens with "yes, no, wait or tie it to the roof of the car"
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-80
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2014, 12:58:46 PM »

1. "should of" should be "should have".  There is no such grammatical construct as "should of".  "Should of" is what you get when people poorly enunciate "should have". 

2. Why are you being defensive?  I'm just trying to facilitate a conversation by pointing out you have apparently misunderstood.  Instead of saying, "gee Screwtape, I hadn't thought of it that way. Thanks for helping," you try to throw her under the bus to absolve yourself of any error.  That is both ungrateful and unkind.

that's politically correct down south lol

Any how there are kittens there are fireworks go enjoy them AA.  There for us all to enjoy.  Life should be more about fun, joy and happiness an HOnor.
oops

JB

Thomas Paine

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2014, 05:03:05 PM »
... Quakers are too primitive for me. ;)

Plus I'm gay.  I've actually considered a Buddhist monastery though. ;)

Actually, liberal quakers are quite progressive. I have a lesbian friend who is quaker. Her meeting married her and her partner, and celebrates diversity. Perhaps you're thinking of the Amish? Quakers are normal, everyday people, and its only the most conservative of them that you might think primitive (I think). What I found fascinating is that they have no leader, no minister, no priest. Meeting is a quiet time where anyone who feels moved to speak does so. Very peaceful. I've only been once (at her wedding) and she feels very comfortable there. Everyone seemed quite friendly. As far as acceptance of lgbt(etc), I think Unitarian, Buddhist, and liberal (maybe moderate too?) Quaker are three of the biggies in terms of acceptance.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2014, 05:05:29 PM »
And as for the topic ... I agree with you. Whether there's a god or not, people are too noisy to "get it." So few people take time to simply sit in silence and look within. So many people spend their lives in busy-ness. Errands, jobs, games, tv, etc ... as if they're afraid to simply BE. We are a nation of distractors, apparently running as fast as we can, but for the most part going nowhere.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2014, 11:55:35 PM »
Fireworks are illegal here ;(.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2014, 12:00:58 AM »
Fireworks are illegal here ;(.

Yep, since about 1990 I think. I used to love cracker night in the 80's.
The 2010 world cup was ruined for me by that slippery bastard Paul.

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2014, 12:04:08 AM »
Yep, since about 1990 I think. I used to love cracker night in the 80's.

Wait...You're Strayan?

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2014, 12:06:12 AM »
Yes mate.

Born in Adelaide, grew up in Sydney and Tasmania, lived in Brisbane since 1992.

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2014, 12:08:49 AM »
Born in Adelaide, grew up in Sydney and Tasmania, lived in Brisbane since 1992.

Gah, of course the eastern states...

Here in the west, we are more or less abandoned by the government...
We get less government help, we get all the big projects (NBN) last...*Sigh*

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2014, 12:10:47 AM »
That's because you're responsible for producing Rove McManus. You're being punished.

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2014, 12:19:23 AM »
Har har...

Meanwhile you made Mel Gibson, which is why you are being rewarded?

Anyway, on-topic.

Is there a method to differentiate a silent god, and a non-existent god?

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2014, 12:24:39 AM »

Probably not that we can employ to any effect.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2014, 12:31:00 AM »
Har har...

Meanwhile you made Mel Gibson, which is why you are being rewarded?

Anyway, on-topic.

Mel Gibson is from the United States.  Didn't move to Australia until he was 12. They didn't "make" him, they just gave him an accent.

They have more claim on Nicole Kidman (who was also born in the US) than Mel Gibson.

-Nam
This is my signature "Nam", don't I have nice typing skills?

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2014, 12:32:23 AM »
Mel Gibson is from the United States.  Didn't move to Australia until he was 12. They didn't "make" him, they just gave him an accent.

We brought him into the film industry, thus we made him.

Probably not that we can employ to any effect.

Yeah...i thought so..