Author Topic: Who was Cain and Yahweh talking about here?  (Read 130 times)

Offline Airyaman

• Fellow
  • Darwins +17/-2
  • Alignment: True Neutral
    • Moving Beyond Faith
Who was Cain and Yahweh talking about here?
« on: July 11, 2014, 05:00:20 PM »
Gen 4:14  Behold, you have driven me today away from the ground, and from your face I shall be hidden. I shall be a fugitive and a wanderer on the earth, and whoever finds me will kill me."
Gen 4:15  Then the LORD said to him, "Not so! If anyone kills Cain, vengeance shall be taken on him sevenfold." And the LORD put a mark on Cain, lest any who found him should attack him.

Who was Cain scared of? And who was Yahweh protecting him from, if Adam and Eve were the first two people?
If you are following God why can I still see you?

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +286/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
Re: Who was Cain and Yahweh talking about here?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 05:09:54 PM »
Satan? That's pretty much the only possibility, although it doesn't explain why YHWH was afraid "any who found him" (which infers multiples) would "attack him".
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline DVZ3

• Reader
  • Darwins +41/-8
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 05:16:07 PM »

Here's the deal.... If you're sanity is check you would look at that and think to yourself ....  What the f&ck is wrong people....
Hguols: "Its easier for me to believe that a God created everything...."

Offline Airyaman

• Fellow
  • Darwins +17/-2
  • Alignment: True Neutral
    • Moving Beyond Faith
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 05:21:20 PM »
Must have been the "sons of God" (Gen 6) or demons.
If you are following God why can I still see you?

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +191/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 10:01:10 AM »
Following right behind this, where the heck did the people of Nod come from? And if what happened to Cain is a curse, where exactly do I sign up for some of that?

4:16 And Cain went out from the presence of the LORD, and dwelt in the land of Nod, on the east of Eden.
4:17 And Cain knew his wife; and she conceived, and bare Enoch: and he builded a city, and called the name of the city, after the name of his son, Enoch.

Every single time I try to get a theist to directly answer this discrepency, I'm met with a thundering silence.
"It's hard to, but I'm starting to believe some of you actually believe these things.  That is completely beyond my ability to understand if that is really the case, but things never cease to amaze me."

Offline Timo

• Reader
  • Darwins +110/-2
  • You know
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 10:47:27 PM »
Gen 4:14  Behold, you have driven me today away from the ground, and from your face I shall be hidden. I shall be a fugitive and a wanderer on the earth, and whoever finds me will kill me."
Gen 4:15  Then the LORD said to him, "Not so! If anyone kills Cain, vengeance shall be taken on him sevenfold." And the LORD put a mark on Cain, lest any who found him should attack him.

Who was Cain scared of? And who was Yahweh protecting him from, if Adam and Eve were the first two people?

I think that the best explanation is probably that the Hebrew Bible is kind of a patchwork of different stories woven together in ways that are sometimes more coherent than others.  It's kind of like the section right after where the authors mention that Cain's offspring were father to this group or that group as if these groups persisted to the present day, even though we would read in the next story that all but Noah's line would have been killed in the flood.
Nah son...