Author Topic: Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life -  (Read 3266 times)

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +258/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
Re: Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life -
« Reply #87 on: January 29, 2014, 11:05:04 AM »
you are suffering from what we call "Doctor Frog's philosophy." There was once a frog who had lived all his life in a well. One day a friend visited him and informed him of the existence of the Atlantic Ocean.

I can see water exists. What you are talking about, mystical magical water, no not even a drop.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 11:23:42 AM by Hatter23 »
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +534/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #88 on: January 29, 2014, 11:11:47 AM »
Similarly, the scientists are estimating the Absolute Truth, the cause of all causes, with their imperfect senses and minds, and thus they are bound to be bewildered.
Simply put, you are wrong. This is not what scientists do at all.

There are two types of truth: Typically they are written "truth" and "Truth"
(i) truth is what we understand presently and can be demonstrated time and again as being true. e.g. Gravity is experienced between two masses and in each mass; A dog is a mammal; light has a finite speed; 2HCl + Ca = H2 + CaCl2, etc.

true is written with a lowercase "t" because, as certain as we are, this may change. At one time, people believed "All swans are white" and then someone found a black swan, so this was no longer true.

(ii) The Truth is a mathematical definition 2+2=4; Pythagoras's Theorem on a two dimensional plane. This is postulated a priori: we give the symbol "1" a value and the rest follows. There is no other "absolute Truth" of which we can be certain.

This has been the state of the human world for the last 400,000 years and probably before that.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 11:13:47 AM by Graybeard »
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
  • Residential Tulpamancer.
« Reply #89 on: January 29, 2014, 11:16:13 AM »
There was once a frog who lived in a well.

The frog, not being an intelligent being capable of questions, or being capable of speaking the English language, did little more than sleep, eat, and poop, like all other frogs.

The end.

Edit: Woot, 3-1 Darwin Ratio.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 11:21:34 AM by Angus and Alexis »
Rule 1: No pooftas. Rule 2: No maltreating the theists, IF, anyone is watching. Rule 3: No pooftas. Rule 4: I do not want to see anyone NOT drinking after light out. Rule 5: No pooftas. Rule 6: There is NO...rule 6.

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +534/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #90 on: January 29, 2014, 11:19:19 AM »

There is a story in this connection. It is very instructive; try to hear. One professional reciter was reciting about Bhagavata, and he was describing that Krsna, being very highly decorated with all jewels, He is sent for tending the cows in the forest.
Why was he wearing jewels whilst tending cows? Who does that?
Shouldn't the cows be on pasture, not in forests?

I think you made this story up. I don't think it's real.
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #91 on: January 29, 2014, 11:23:02 AM »
That's a good point.

Being that forests lack the plants that cows eat, it is highly unlikely that someone would tend for cows in one.

An open field of grass seems more plausible.
Rule 1: No pooftas. Rule 2: No maltreating the theists, IF, anyone is watching. Rule 3: No pooftas. Rule 4: I do not want to see anyone NOT drinking after light out. Rule 5: No pooftas. Rule 6: There is NO...rule 6.

Online wheels5894

• Fellow
  • Darwins +110/-1
« Reply #92 on: January 29, 2014, 11:25:20 AM »
I don't think I'm qualified to talk about frogs or cows but I bet some rascal made those stories up!
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #93 on: January 29, 2014, 11:26:41 AM »
I don't think I'm qualified to talk about frogs or cows but I bet some rascal made those stories up!

Nice.

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +376/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #94 on: January 29, 2014, 11:39:22 AM »
you are suffering from what we call "Doctor Frog's philosophy." There was once a frog who had lived all his life in a well. One day a friend visited him and informed him of the existence of the forest moon of Endor.
   "Oh, what is this forest moon of Endor?" asked the frog in the well.
   "It is a vast rocky body full of trees that circles another planet," his friend replied.
   "How vast? ls it double the size of this well?"
   "Oh, no, much larger," his friend replied.
   "How much larger? Ten times the size?"
   "Oh much larger!  And remember, it's full of trees!"
   "How do you actually know any of this?"
   "It is unknowable.  It is incomprehensible.  Our minds and how we perceive the world is so limited."
   "So, in essence, what you're saying is, you are making sh*t up about this thing that you, by your admission, cannot possibly understand, and you want me to believe you?"
   "You're so blind.  You rascal.  You think you know the absolute TruthTM, and are made a fool by thinking so."
   "k so I'm not the one selling absolute TruthTM, you are.  You're the one claiming to know the unknowable and to understand the incomprehensible.  Neither you nor I know of anything that is outside of this well.  I have made no claims regarding what is outside of this well.  I don't know - but you keep telling me what the hell is outside of this well.  One of us is making up random bullsh*t about what's outside of this well, and it isn't me."
   "You are a rascal who thinks he knows everything."
   "Again, I'm not the one espousing knowledge about the unknowable."
   "You are a rascal who thinks he knows everything.  Fool.  Just listen to me."
   "Again, I'm not the one espousing knowledge about the unknowable."
   "What makes you think you're qualified to see the forest moon of Endor?"
   "Did I say anything about being qualified to see it?  You're the one telling me that there is a forest moon of Endor!  You!  You're the one making this claim, not me!  You!"
   "You are a rascal who thinks he knows everything.  What are your qualifications for seeing the forest moon of Endor?"

And with that, Doctor Frog's brain shutdown in hopes of protecting itself from the barrages of unclever insults and broken, twisted logic.
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +563/-17
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #95 on: January 29, 2014, 11:43:03 AM »
But what was the possibility of his ever understanding the depths and far reaches of the great ocean? Our faculties, experience, and powers of speculation are always limited. The frog was always thinking in terms relative to his well. He had no power to think otherwise. Similarly, the scientists are estimating the Absolute Truth, the cause of all causes, with their imperfect senses and minds, and thus they are bound to be bewildered. The essential fault of the so-called scientists is that they have adopted the inductive process to arrive at their conclusions. For example, if a scientist wants to determine whether or not man is mortal by the inductive process, he must study every man to try to discover if some or one of them may be immortal. The scientist says, "I cannot accept the proposition that all men are mortal. There may be some men who are immortal. I have not yet seen every man. Therefore how can I accept that man is mortal?" This is called the inductive process. And the deductive process means that your father, your teacher, or your guru says that man is mortal, and you accept it.
You know what the easiest solution to this dilemma is?  Take the frog to the Atlantic Ocean so they can get first-hand experience of how big it is.

Your 'solution' is "follow these rules and chant a prayer daily, and you'll realize it on your own eventually".

That doesn't even touch on your misapprehension of how the inductive and deductive processes work.  You see, while a scientist may never be totally certain that there isn't an immortal human somewhere on Earth, that doesn't mean they have to assume that one might be out there, especially if all the available evidence shows otherwise.  It's up to someone to provide evidence of an immortal human in order to show that the proposition "all human beings are mortal" is false, instead of scientists having to examine every human being in order to show that the proposition is true.  It is much easier to find evidence showing something false than to examine all the evidence in the universe in order to declare something true.

In short, there's nothing wrong with the inductive process, so long as you don't assume that it guarantees a universal truth.

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +93/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #96 on: January 29, 2014, 12:03:11 PM »
Hey it's frog story time :) I've got one too.

There was once a frog who had lived all his life in a laboratory. One day a scientist chose him to be part of an experiment and lowered his body temperature to -50C[1].
Over the next day or so the scientist slowly raised the frogs body temperature.
Unfortunately the frog was part of the control group and died.

However his death wasn't in vain as the frogs that weren't in the control group did survive and the experiment yielded important data on tissue preservation which could be used to preserve human organs for longer periods and therefore be useful in transporting organs for transplant, thus saving human lives.

The End
 1. http://jeb.biologists.org/content/181/1/245.full.pdf

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +285/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #97 on: January 29, 2014, 12:09:31 PM »
Can I try?

Once upon a time there was a frog. Then some French people came along.[1] The end.
 1. Just so we're clear, I mean no offense to French people. If you're still offended, ask for this post to be removed, and it will be done.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #98 on: January 29, 2014, 12:17:41 PM »
Can I try?

Once upon a time there was a frog. Then some French people came along.[1] The end.
 1. Just so we're clear, I mean no offense to French people. If you're still offended, ask for this post to be removed, and it will be done.

Really? (your note) Dude, don't be weak. If they don't get the humor they're the morons not you, plus, you come off weak. Never do thst.

People like me will eat you alive (excluding me, just people *like* me).

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +285/-37
« Reply #99 on: January 29, 2014, 12:26:14 PM »
Really? (your note) Dude, don't be weak. If they don't get the humor they're the morons not you, plus, you come off weak.

Some people are rightfully pissed because of some jokes. Their reasons are not mine to question in some situations.
EDIT: I recall I made a comparison (of sorts) between rape and tearing someone's arguments to pieces. Quesi, I believe, asked me to change it. I did it and admitted I was wrong to have made said comparison in the first place. Admitting when you're wrong is a strength - not a weakness - in my opinion.

Never do thst.

People like me will eat you alive (excluding me, just people *like* me).

The One Above All cannot be consumed. Who do you think I am? Galactus?
Seriously though, to be insensitive in this situation would make me a dick, which I am not, nor do I want to be.

-Nam

-One
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 12:27:59 PM by One Above All »
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #100 on: January 29, 2014, 12:35:02 PM »
Folks, all of this reckless banter about frogs is getting out of hand.

I think we need to acknowledge the fact that amphibians are on the decline wordwide.  Loss of natural habitat, pollution, climate change, and disease are causing a shockingly rapid decrease in the world's frog populations. 

These little critters eat bugs.  I like species who eat bugs.  If we lose too many frogs, we will have way too many bugs.

So let's show a little respect here.  For the frogs. 

Online wheels5894

• Fellow
  • Darwins +110/-1
« Reply #101 on: January 29, 2014, 12:37:13 PM »
Good point, Quesi, though I don't think a few jokes are going to reduce the population of frogs that much.
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
« Reply #102 on: January 29, 2014, 12:44:06 PM »
OAA,

Please, you're showing you're sensitive by saying you'll retract it. They show they're sensitive by asking for you to retract it and, initially you are insensitive for stating it especially if you feel while making the comment (and stating so) that if anyone is offended you'll retract.

If you feel that imbalance beforehand: don't post it. There's always someone who will be offended by something. This website offends people. If "we" went by your position, saying it is okay but if anyone is offended the website will be taken down. You see the weakness of that?

People will be offended. If you don't want to offend anyone: don't say anything that is offensive. The problem with that is: almost anything can be offensive to someone.

So far, with you, you have the balls to say it, you just don't have the balls to stand by it. And for people like me: we take advantage of people like that.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Offline Boots

• Reader
  • Darwins +96/-0
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #103 on: January 29, 2014, 12:49:24 PM »
And for people like me: we take advantage of people like that.

-Nam

Ohh!!  Ohhh!!!  I wanna be weak so Nam will "take advantage" of me!!  hee hee hee
* Religion: institutionalized superstition, period.

"Many of my ultra-conservative Republican friends...have trouble accepting the idea God is not a Republican. " ~OldChurchGuy

"We humans may never figure out the truth, but I prefer trying to find it over pretending we know it."  ~ParkingPlaces

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
« Reply #104 on: January 29, 2014, 12:51:56 PM »

-Nam

Ohh!!  Ohhh!!!  I wanna be weak so Nam will "take advantage" of me!!  hee hee hee

You're not my type.

;)

-Nam

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +285/-37
« Reply #105 on: January 29, 2014, 12:52:33 PM »
<snip>

I never said all requests something be removed are valid. It depends on who's asking it and for what reason, for starters.

So far, with you, you have the balls to say it, you just don't have the balls to stand by it.

Don't judge my balls. I have the balls to admit I was wrong about something, as well as the balls to stand by something I say, assuming I disagree with the people who disagree with my statement.

And you think I care that you try?
See? I can be insensitive too, when it matters. It's called "self-control".

-Nam

-One
We choose our own gods.

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #106 on: January 29, 2014, 12:53:32 PM »
Good point, Quesi, though I don't think a few jokes are going to reduce the population of frogs that much.

I would also just like to point out that if any of this reincarnation stuff is true, making disrespectful jokes about frogs may result in being born as a frog in a future life.  And I really worry about some of the members here. 

OAA might come back as an amphibian destined to die young and be smothered in garlic sauce.  MrJason is going to be reborn in a lab and subjected to terrible torture.  jdawg70 will be an amphibian subject to the pains inflicted on those who suffer the dark side of the force.  And I'm pretty sure that poor lop0 is going to come back as a frog who, for whatever reason, is not able to croak or sing or make any noises that are comprehensible to the other frogs.

None of this would be good.

We can be better than this.  Let's save the frogs.  For the God of Abraham.  For our own future incarnations.  And if, by chance, all of the supernatural stuff ends up to be bullshit, lets save the frogs for future generations.   And the bees too.

Yeah.  I'm being half silly, and half serious. 

And this song seems just really appropriate right now.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
« Reply #107 on: January 29, 2014, 01:03:11 PM »
OAA,

Retracting a statement where you're found to be incorrect is not the same as retracting a statement where you find you may be wrong (or are wrong) because it will offend someone of/not of a specific group/people.

You notice I don't do that. I know going in I may or am going to offend someone, and I say it, and I don't regret it, I stand by what I say. I may be seen as an offensive person, or an asshole, or whatever but at least people know that I stand by what I say. From your comment, who knows? And that's where "advantage" can be taken. Whoever was offended that you retracted before (that you mentioned) took advantage of you based on their sensitivity. If "we" retract what offends people based on their sensitivity this website wouldn't exist.

If you don't mean what you say, facetious or not, then don't say it. Or you're just a person to be taken advantage of, especially by people like me.

I'm trying to help you here.

-Nam

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +258/-7
« Reply #108 on: January 29, 2014, 01:04:43 PM »

-Nam

You're not my type.

;)

-Nam

Yea, Boots is breathing. ;)
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
« Reply #109 on: January 29, 2014, 01:06:54 PM »

-Nam

You're not my type.

;)

-Nam

Your point?

;)

-Nam

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +285/-37
« Reply #110 on: January 29, 2014, 01:13:24 PM »
Nam, I guess you're just gonna have to trust me when I say you don't understand how I think or why I do things, and that you shouldn't worry.
We choose our own gods.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +258/-7
« Reply #111 on: January 29, 2014, 01:15:57 PM »

-Nam

You're not my type.

;)

-Nam

Your point?

;)

-Nam

just that everyone's your type....eventually.

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #112 on: January 29, 2014, 10:56:13 PM »
Here is another frog story.

There was once a frog who had lived all his life in a well. One day a friend visited him and informed him of the existence of the Atlantic Ocean.
 "Oh, what is this Atlantic Ocean?" asked the frog in the well.
 "It is a vast body of water," his friend replied.
 "Well lets see, umm...carry the six...cube that...323,600,000 cubic kilometres give or take" He answered
 "Thanks, I hate friends who cant search the internet" said the frog.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #113 on: January 29, 2014, 11:18:28 PM »
^^ Appeal to information superhighway fallacy
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #114 on: January 30, 2014, 04:13:17 AM »
So far you have made some claims, but you have not given any reason for anyone to accept those claims as true.  [/color]

you are suffering from what we call "Doctor Frog's philosophy." There was once a frog who had lived all his life in a well. One day a friend visited him and informed him of the existence of the Atlantic Ocean.
   "Oh, what is this Atlantic Ocean?" asked the frog in the well.
   "It is a vast body of water," his friend replied.
   "Oh, no, much larger," his friend replied.

...and then the Ocean Frog, who sincerely wanted to help the Well Frog (rather than just insult him and taunt him) told him, clearly and precisely, exactly how big the Ocean was (using terms the Well Frog could understand), AND laid out - again, clearly and precisely - exactly how the Well Frog could find out for himself.  Step by step, and with the guarantee that if the instructions were followed, the Well Frog would see the Ocean.

If the Ocean Frog did NOT do that, then (no matter how True the Ocean may be), he would simply be being a smug dick about it.  And Well Frogs, no matter how much they may want to see the Ocean, are put right off by smug dicks who make unsubstantiated claims and then hurl insults because the Well Frogs don't instantly hail them as the Truth and throw praise at the smug dicks for enlightening them.
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +93/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #115 on: January 30, 2014, 05:22:05 AM »
<snip>
MrJason is going to be reborn in a lab and subjected to terrible torture. 

We can be better than this.  Let's save the frogs.  For the God of Abraham.  For our own future incarnations.  And if, by chance, all of the supernatural stuff ends up to be bullshit, lets save the frogs for future generations.   And the bees too.

I think that you misunderstood the intention of my post. It wasn't a parody or piss take.
I was supporting the OP by signposting you to the PhD research that got Dr Frog his degree. You didn't think he became a Dr by sitting in the well did you?

No, I think it is far more likely that Dr Frog was one of the surviving frogs who took part in the research. As he was the first amphibian in history to graduate with a PhD he became a minor celebrity in his pond, however his guilt over the deaths of his country-frogs during the research lead him to alcohol dependency and woman-froganising. His wife-frog could only endure this for so long and eventually moved to another lily pad, taking the tadpoles with her.
This is when Dr Frog became a recluse moving to a well to avoid the social-frog stigma from the breakdown of his marriage. Still an alcoholic, whenever anyone asked him about the outside world he would deny its existence refusing to accept the guilt and shame that the outside-well world had brought to this once rising star.

So no, my post wasn't a joke at Dr frogs expense, it was a cautionary tale of the excesses of fame and possibly medical ethics too.

If I am reincarnated as a lab-frog I will take the lessons learned from the first Dr Frog and be more careful when experimenting on my colleagues.