Author Topic: "Fields and orchards in the SKY: Highrise 'urban farms' "  (Read 239 times)

Offline shnozzola

• Reader
  • Darwins +127/-2
"Fields and orchards in the SKY: Highrise 'urban farms' "
« on: January 31, 2014, 04:36:27 PM »
Highrise includes orchards, meadows and rice fields along with offices.  Energy is stored from sun and wind, and heat is trapped by tower's ‘wings’ .  No buyer has been found but the concept has inspired smaller projects.  Tokyo's nine-storey Pasona Urban Farm, for example, allows employees to grow their own food in reserved green spaces at work.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2546585/Fields-orchards-SKY-Highrise-urban-farms-future-agriculture-claims-architect.html#ixzz2s0uqtKY5

Pasona Urban Farm:
http://inhabitat.com/pasona-hq-is-an-urban-farm-that-grows-food-for-its-employees-in-tokyo/

We have guided missiles and misguided men.  ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.
"Why can't girls have dinosaur shoes?"

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +330/-38
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
Re: "Fields and orchards in the SKY: Highrise 'urban farms' "
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 04:40:37 PM »
Seems interesting. I remember something similar in the game "Eco Tycoon: Project Green". There were cylindrical-shaped buildings that were actually entire farms. I also recall seeing a post on the forum, a long time ago, about fake trees that separate CO2 into C and O2, whose design seems to have been inspired by said game. Or maybe the game's design was also inspired by something else.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 04:42:47 PM by One Above All »
My names are many, yet I am One.
-Orion, Son of Fire, Sol Invictus.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +416/-103
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
Re: "Fields and orchards in the SKY: Highrise 'urban farms' "
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 06:55:05 PM »
Disney World as entire crops of various fruits/vegetables in warehouses at and around EPCOT/Pleasure Island. I've been in a few, one at Magic Kingdom is underground. They don't look like those buildings. That'd be cool.

-Nam
I only have a filter for people who do not consistently beg to be belittled, ridiculed, insulted, and demeaned.

-Nam