Author Topic: red states have higher divorce rates because...  (Read 322 times)

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +678/-28
  • Karma mooch
red states have higher divorce rates because...
« on: January 22, 2014, 05:00:50 PM »
...evangelical protestantism!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/21/divorce-study_n_4639430.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000009

It was previously thought that socioeconomic hardships in the South were largely to blame for high divorce rates, however Glass and her fellow researchers concluded that the conservative religious culture is in fact a major contributing factor thanks to "the social institutions they create" that "decrease marital stability."

If you value marriage, even the heterosexual kind, help put a stop to conservative protestantism.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +258/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
Re: red states have higher divorce rates because...
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 05:40:40 PM »
...evangelical protestantism!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/21/divorce-study_n_4639430.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000009

It was previously thought that socioeconomic hardships in the South were largely to blame for high divorce rates, however Glass and her fellow researchers concluded that the conservative religious culture is in fact a major contributing factor thanks to "the social institutions they create" that "decrease marital stability."

If you value marriage, even the heterosexual kind, help put a stop to conservative protestantism.

Things like this are why Conservapedia exists, because reality has a liberal bias.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +285/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 05:45:48 PM »
What a surprise, religion is identified as the cause for yet another problem.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline Aaron123

• Fellow
  • Darwins +77/-1
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 12:18:59 PM »
Isn't there a part in the bible where god expresses disapproval of divorces?

Funny how that gets ignored pretty fast.
Being a Christian, I've made my decision. That decision offers no compromise; therefore, I'm closed to anything else.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +678/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 12:35:04 PM »
Isn't there a part in the bible where god expresses disapproval of divorces?

Funny how that gets ignored pretty fast.

yeah, but in their defense, their god constantly makes rules and then sets them up for failure.  This is just one more example of that.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline Aaron123

• Fellow
  • Darwins +77/-1
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 01:35:37 PM »
Then again, maybe divorce was one of those things that Jesus threw out fulfilled when he died.  At this point, I've lost track of which laws Jesus kept, and those he "fulfilled".
Being a Christian, I've made my decision. That decision offers no compromise; therefore, I'm closed to anything else.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +258/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 03:23:35 PM »
Then again, maybe divorce was one of those things that Jesus threw out fulfilled when he died.  At this point, I've lost track of which laws Jesus kept, and those he "fulfilled".

YTMV

Your Theology May Vary.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 11:49:02 PM »
I think it's more to do with white Evangelical red state men. Some of them are gay but in a loveless marriage to a woman who they probably only have sex with to procreate (so they are seen as being "men"l, others are just plain players but can't be seen as such so they most likely just fornicate with prostitutes. Then you have those who think it's okay to cheat on your wife because their version of the Bible tells them it's okay but their wives can't cheat because they're their husbands property. My favorite is: they are furthering the Christian religion by attempting impregnate as many women as possible but since they have to be married to them they have to marry/divorce each one. I've met quite a few of the latter. They would like the Mormon version to be legal but without the Mormon version being legal (seeing how they find Mormonism a form of devil-worship).

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +771/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2014, 12:08:29 AM »
My theory is that a person can live a fake moral life just so long before giving in to new fake morals.

As the old joke goes, conservatives value marriage so much that they usually do it three or four times!
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2014, 12:39:03 AM »
I'd be curious to have a better insight into exactly how the author of this study came to her conclusions. For instance, how many divorced couples from 2000 did she speak with in depth?

Some of the cited alternate, and previously popular, explanations for this phenomenon are not really fully repudiated, based on the article.
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +377/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2014, 02:27:13 PM »
I'd be curious to have a better insight into exactly how the author of this study came to her conclusions. For instance, how many divorced couples from 2000 did she speak with in depth?

Some of the cited alternate, and previously popular, explanations for this phenomenon are not really fully repudiated, based on the article.

The Council of Contemporary Families link in the article:
http://www.contemporaryfamilies.org/impact-of-conservative-protestantism-on-regional-divorce-rates/

provides a better sense of methodology, though certainly not enough detail to determine what flaws in the study may be present.  For your particular question, I don't think any divorced couple was spoken with or interviewed - this appears to be more of a study based on collected data such as rates of divorce, socioeconomic indicators, etc.
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +678/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2014, 09:19:27 AM »
miles, you'd need a subscription to this publication to see the details of the study:
http://www.jstor.org/page/journal/amerjsoci/about.html

this is where it was published.

I'd guess it was less interviews and more data analysis. 
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials