Author Topic: Media Manipulation  (Read 123 times)

Offline Truth OT

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-7
  • WWGHA Member
Media Manipulation
« on: January 23, 2014, 02:27:49 PM »
I live in Houston and over the last few weeks there has been an uproar here (especially in the black community) over a case where a father is reported to have been given jail time for overpaying his child support and for over visiting his child. See below for the story as reported:

http://newsone.com/2827524/clifford-hall-dad-jailed-for-overpaying-child-support/

The Black Panthers have rallied, community activists have been riled up, and the media keeps updating the local citizens by throwing gasoline on the fire it started as the headline is now "Black Man gets 6 Months for Overpaying Child Support."

As a black man, I do realize that we tend to get judged is ways that is less than fair when compared with other segments of society and that is why I cringe when the race card gets thrown out unnecessarily. This case peaked my curiousity as initially I was a bit outraged by the headline. After looking into more deeply I found out that the father had been in and out of court since the now 7 year old child was 7 months old. He had also been previously arrested for failure pay, and he has cost the mother thousands upon thousands in court fees over the years. In response to many situations like this, the state of Texas passed a law that made for noncustodial parents who were not paying their child support and “gaming” the system by not paying until being brought to court by the custodial parent in hopes that the custodial parent would file suite and incur the costs associated with it to be held in contempt. As it turns out, he is being charged with contempt (as a repeated offender), not overpaying as the media has indicated.

My issue is not with him or the law in this case but rather why is the media so irresponsible and why are they so content with furthering the divide in society between communities? As easily as I was able to find all the facts, I know they could have, but they either choose not to look or they did look, but realized that they would not have a story if they reported everything and they decided to try to start an uproar by giving us half truths. I find this behavior reprehensible!

Offline Dante

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-9
  • Hedonist Extraordinaire
Re: Media Manipulation
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 02:36:36 PM »
My issue is not with him or the law in this case but rather why is the media so irresponsible and why are they so content with furthering the divide in society between communities?

What is "money", Alex?
Actually it doesn't. One could conceivably be all-powerful but not exceptionally intelligent.

Online wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +75/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 05:52:02 PM »
^^^This. It's not the political agendas I find most disturbing in mass media, but the media's willingness to be swayed by the agenda of who's paying the most for ad slots.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 03:20:40 PM »
^^^This. It's not the political agendas I find most disturbing in mass media, but the media's willingness to be swayed by the agenda of who's paying the most for ad slots.
or, more often, by deliberately stoking contraversy to increase eyeballs, therefore ad revenue
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.