Author Topic: questions of my own [#720]  (Read 346 times)

Offline DL

• Fellow
  • Darwins +0/-0
questions of my own [#720]
« on: November 24, 2008, 07:22:05 PM »
to whomever shall read this,

It's nice to see that the creator of the video proffering 10 "fascinating" questions chooses the moral high ground in enlightening us delusional, yet educated Christians with his facile condescension.  It says nothing perhaps that most of those questions can be answered  by the simple analogy of a disobedient child and his/her parent.  We are the scions of the templates for humanity that chose disobedience over the righteousness of obedience to their creator and are now suffering the consequences.  I don't think punishment is the right word, but, rather, the effects of the original causal action.  Much like a child who selfishly chooses to disobey a parent who warns not to play so close to the street.  Unfortunately, it's our legacy.

I have no definitive answer to the first posit concerning the amputee.  Oddly, I feel the narrator seems to focus much of his energy on this one (it is the domain name after all) as though anticipating this to be an unsolvable conundrum.  To this I merely ask: does the mathematical impossibility of a bumblebee's capacity for flight debunk the rationality of mathematics, or the empirically proven flight of the bumblebee?

And since the narrator also seems to possess a monopoly on answers, perhaps he (or whomever shall speak on his behalf) could fill me on some questions that have plagued me for some time:

1) If one can look at a truck, or pencil, or cake, and conclude that it's origins lay in intelligent design, why is it so hard to fathom the same conclusion for the exponentially more complex universe and everything contained within?

2) If practitioners of religion are delusional, then the precepts borne of such delusion would have to be equally ludicrous, yes?  Since, as is claimed, there is no God, why is it generally accepted by humanity that murder, stealing, etc. are all bad when these concepts run contrary to the Survival of the Fittest notion of Charles Darwin.  I watched a pack of hyenas blatantly steal a lion's food away from him after he killed it on National Geographic the other day, yet they suffered no moral repercussions from it; the lion didn't either for that matter.  So why should I be locked up for stealing another man's belongings?

3) What happened the nanosecond before the big bang?  You know, where did all the stuff that makes up the universe come from?

4) What is the mathematical probability--the actual conclusive figure--that the universe, and everything contained within--coalesced from purely random chaos?  Did you know that the Tampa Bay Rays were a 200/1 shot at winning the '08 World Series?

5) Why can't we create life from scratch?  We can duplicate it, but cannot create it.  Why is that?

Thank you,
A delusional nut

P.S.  I haven't actually finished my bachelor's degree yet.  I'll understand if that precludes my participation from your interesting sociological questionnaire.

Offline Ambassador Pony

• You keep what you kill.
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +71/-4
  • illuminatus
Re: questions of my own [#720]
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 07:52:52 PM »
1) If one can look at a truck, or pencil, or cake, and conclude that it's origins lay in intelligent design, why is it so hard to fathom the same conclusion for the exponentially more complex universe and everything contained within?

The answer is in why you can know a truck, pencil or cake are human-made objects.

5) Why can't we create life from scratch?  We can duplicate it, but cannot create it.  Why is that?

Who said we can't? Someone made a similar statement about powered human flight before it was invented as well, and , likely, many other great inventions.

2) If practitioners of religion are delusional, then the precepts borne of such delusion would have to be equally ludicrous, yes?  Since, as is claimed, there is no God, why is it generally accepted by humanity that murder, stealing, etc. are all bad when these concepts run contrary to the Survival of the Fittest notion of Charles Darwin.  I watched a pack of hyenas blatantly steal a lion's food away from him after he killed it on National Geographic the other day, yet they suffered no moral repercussions from it; the lion didn't either for that matter.  So why should I be locked up for stealing another man's belongings?

I think if you just think about what you said here for long enough, you will find the integrity and intellectual honesty to retract and apologze for wasting our time with such an inane statement.

I forgive you in advance for your mistake, I've said silly things before as well.

You believe evolution and there is no evidence for that. Where is the fossil record of a half man half ape. I've only ever heard about it in reading.

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • 1600 years of oppression ends; Zeus is worshiped.
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 08:35:53 PM »

Keep up to date;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_biology

http://syntheticbiology.org/FAQ.html

Synthetic Biology is
A) the design and construction of new biological parts, devices, and systems, and
B) the re-design of existing, natural biological systems for useful purposes.

Currently, biologists and engineers in the field are trying to figure out how to do it.  When they succeed, will this impact your views of your religion? 

* If not, why bring it up?

* If it would, why would it?
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer

Offline Frank

• Reader
  • Darwins +38/-20
  • You're doin' my head in!!
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 01:41:07 PM »

Then who designed the designer? FAIL
"Atheism is not a mission to convert the world. It only seems that way because when other religions fall away, atheism is what is left behind".

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +301/-32
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 01:51:59 PM »
Who said we can't? Someone made a similar statement about powered human flight before it was invented as well, and , likely, many other great inventions.

Amusingly enough, the same thing was said of organic chemistry in general.  That's right, people used to think that there was something divine/spiritual about compounds with carbon-carbon bonds that required that they come form living material.  This was as recent as the late 1800s.

(I'm recalling this from highschool chemistry class)
I have not encountered any mechanical malfunctioning in my spirit.  It works every single time I need it to.